Hi folks,

My long running saga of a project has finally been finished. Inspired by a trip to Portugal this summer, Rua Amarelo is a corner street featuring a Pasteleria and a hat shop. The yellow corner building is perhaps more authentic in colour and I would of preferred to have made a tiled effect for the narrower building but could not source enough tiles from what I had at my disposal. Really would like TLG to bring back sand red in an assortment of pieces! :laugh:

No interior this time but I'm hoping to have something to see inside on my next MOC which is already planned.

Anyway on with all 4 of the pics;

22575279328_0f8343a32b_c.jpg

22372406293_442a8bff3f_c.jpg

23004706721_ceac9effd9_c.jpg

22370854234_3e4732497d_c.jpg

You can view them at flickr if you so wish https://www.flickr.c...s/52656812@N04/

Comments welcome!

As a Portuguese, I have to tell you: spot on!

Great to know your trip to Portugal left a creative impression.

Looking forward for the interiors... and the rest of the block :D

You make it look effortless and easy, but we know it's not. I really like the white tile piping around the upper floors of the red building.

Another classy build Snaillad!

Very Portugisish. And a lovely build.

Makes me so wanna go back and visit Gaia and Porto agian. :wub:

These always look so realistic, yet very LEGO-ish at the same time. Very hard combination to pull off.

Definitely some neat details to take away from this. I may have to borrow some for builds of my own.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the inspiration.

I mean, like, I guess this sort of looks kind of okay-ish, if you're into this kind of thing.

The vagueness of your post is bothering me. If it is not some kind of inside joke, then please, feel free to enlighten me. Because I am into "this sort of thing", LEGO, and I think not only does the piece capture its idea wonderfully, the feel of a Portugal avenue, but one of the first things I thought was: Wow, snaillad is developing a style that is completely all his/ or her own...

I knew, instantly, that the same builder of the Piazza Maria, was the same builder as this.

And really, no different than any other art, music, or literature, success with LEGO is really chalked up to whether or not someone has succeeded in realizing a vision, was able to provide an idea with form. And further, when a work is recognizable as belonging to a certain designer/ creator, well, what is more of an achievement than that...

Nice work, if you ask me.

It was a poor attempt at humor. Apologies to snaillad if it wasn't clear I was joking. It's pretty obvious that he is an extremely gifted builder.

I'm very fan of your buildings!!!

I study every detail of them with the hope of one day be able to build something similar (but I'm still far away of it).

As a Portuguese, I have to tell you: spot on!

Great to know your trip to Portugal left a creative impression.

Looking forward for the interiors... and the rest of the block :D

Thank you RMBP, it's flattering someone from that country finds something familiar! Portugal was great, I would definitely return! If only I had enough bricks I would love to build more of a street!

You make it look effortless and easy, but we know it's not. I really like the white tile piping around the upper floors of the red building.

Another classy build Snaillad!

Thanks eurotrash, I had hoped to create a fully tiled facade for the smaller building but could not source enough of an interesting colour so I had to come up with something different, I'm sure I saw a similar outline on a building somewhere!

I love that paving technique. Attractive, practical and all around genius.

Delightful build as a whole. :thumbup:

Cheers Peppermint_M, in my experience the pavement was rarely as flat as my MOC :laugh:

Very outstanding! I love it, amazing work.

Very Portugisish. And a lovely build.

Makes me so wanna go back and visit Gaia and Porto agian. :wub:

Epic modular building!

The shops on the ground floor are beautiful! :wub:

Very nice architecture!

Another fantastic model! Well done. :thumbup:

Nothing to complain here. Another superb build as usual!

Thank you Brick Capone, KlodsBrik, LEGO Train 12 Volts, Graham Gidman and peedeejay! The shop fronts were fun to build!

Lovely building & color scheme. The building on the left - looks like the Avenue Saint-Jacques building.

Thanks leongsteven, The building on the left does take some influences, probably mostly the roof, I would have liked to have made it in a more authentic colour, I seldom found examples of a black roof.

This is just splendid! You continue to build these fantastic scenes. Lovely.

These always look so realistic, yet very LEGO-ish at the same time. Very hard combination to pull off.

Definitely some neat details to take away from this. I may have to borrow some for builds of my own.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers Hobbythom and TheLegoDr, most of my buildings are not massively technically challenging but I do spend alot of time of time tinkering when building and usually try and do a few things I've never tried before to get some sort of realism.

The vagueness of your post is bothering me. If it is not some kind of inside joke, then please, feel free to enlighten me. Because I am into "this sort of thing", LEGO, and I think not only does the piece capture its idea wonderfully, the feel of a Portugal avenue, but one of the first things I thought was: Wow, snaillad is developing a style that is completely all his/ or her own...

I knew, instantly, that the same builder of the Piazza Maria, was the same builder as this.

And really, no different than any other art, music, or literature, success with LEGO is really chalked up to whether or not someone has succeeded in realizing a vision, was able to provide an idea with form. And further, when a work is recognizable as belonging to a certain designer/ creator, well, what is more of an achievement than that...

Nice work, if you ask me.

Thank you notaromantic, its flattering you see my builds as a style to my own, I would describe it as less complicated in appearance visually than some other town builders, but cheerful none the less.

It was a poor attempt at humor. Apologies to snaillad if it wasn't clear I was joking. It's pretty obvious that he is an extremely gifted builder.

Hi BlockLogo, to be honest I wasn't sure what you meant but if you did only think it was 'okay' I would respect that too :classic:

I'm very fan of your buildings!!!

I study every detail of them with the hope of one day be able to build something similar (but I'm still far away of it).

Thanks El Garfio, my trick is to dismantle and re-use my bricks, I'm short of space, so sadly I have to say goodbye to my mocs several months after making them, it's hard but it means I have decent choice in what to work with when I start a new project. I also do many sketches before and during building.

This looks great as usual!

I love everything of it. Great fan of your buildings.

Thanks Dazz and Gongoro73!

to be honest I wasn't sure what you meant but if you did only think it was 'okay' I would respect that too :classic:

Oh man. Really sorry my dumb joke failed. To be clear, I have been a big admirer of your builds ever since I saw your Avenue Saint Jacques on the brothers brick.

I was immediately attracted to the lovely combination of white and yellow of the corner bakery, with black window fence. The flowers add a touch of life. Another lovely detail is the entrance of the bakery. The combination of pillars and small and large windows is amazing (especially if you (like me) never know what to do with those pillars other than use them as a hidden support). The awning of the hat shop is another great detail. The color choices for awnings with slopes is more limited, and using hinged bricks gives you an opportunity to use a variety of different colors. That’s definitely something to keep in mind.

Stunning build as usual. Would love to see some more detail shots of this.

Nice work with rare colors - I would love to build something in sand red, too, but the BL prices for useful parts are beyond ridiculous.

And am I right to assume that the yellow building is cool yellow/bright light yello? Love that color, think it works magnificient on buildings.

For some reason I really like that ceiling height for the middle floor of the yellow building appears lower than for the one above or below.

Edited by RogerSmith

Oh man. Really sorry my dumb joke failed. To be clear, I have been a big admirer of your builds ever since I saw your Avenue Saint Jacques on the brothers brick.

Thanks BlockLogo!

I was immediately attracted to the lovely combination of white and yellow of the corner bakery, with black window fence. The flowers add a touch of life. Another lovely detail is the entrance of the bakery. The combination of pillars and small and large windows is amazing (especially if you (like me) never know what to do with those pillars other than use them as a hidden support). The awning of the hat shop is another great detail. The color choices for awnings with slopes is more limited, and using hinged bricks gives you an opportunity to use a variety of different colors. That’s definitely something to keep in mind.

Cheers Redhead1982, those pillars I've had for ages, long overdue to put them to good use! Although I cheated slightly with my offset next to the door. I had intended to make an awning in similar style to cafe corner but eventually gave up as there was too much of an unsightly gap. Hinged bricks is definitely much easier!

Stunning build as usual. Would love to see some more detail shots of this.

Nice work with rare colors - I would love to build something in sand red, too, but the BL prices for useful parts are beyond ridiculous.

And am I right to assume that the yellow building is cool yellow/bright light yello? Love that color, think it works magnificient on buildings.

For some reason I really like that ceiling height for the middle floor of the yellow building appears lower than for the one above or below.

Thank you RogerSmith, sadly there isn't too much more in terms of detail, I didn't make too much effort with interior detail, although the link to flickr should lead you to some slightly bigger images, although the quality isn't great. The colour is 'cool yellow' according to brickset. I got plenty of it for a reasonable price from the online PAB, similar prices to the more common colours.

The floor heights do vary slightly, the exterior is almost a 'curtain' wall with the floors inside attached from the windows for stability hence why an interior would of looked messy and I didn't bother with it.

I absolutely love this :wub: There are so many great details and lovely colours. I studied the pictures a while to explore every detail and figure out how you may have built it. Very inspiring!

Thanks Palixa And The Bricks!