Sign in to follow this  
Bob

Secret Enemies - Sign Ups

Hello!

Secret Enemies is a game based on a relatively new board game that was created by the minds behind Cards Against Humanity called Secret Hitler. That game is set in 1932 in the Weimar Republic in Germany prior to Hitler's rise to power. Since I lack Nazi and 1932 German politicians, and since the name Secret Hitler is a bit controversial, this game will be called Secret Enemies forevermore on Eurobricks. Since this is the prototype test of concept game on the forum, it'll have a very basic theme similar to the general premise but in a more "LEGO friendly" way. Future hosts of this game mode will be able to be far more creative and will be able to put a proper theme. Imagine this being the very first mafia game on Eurobricks and it was simply called Mafia. Now we call things "X Mafia", so in the future, we'll be able to call games "X Secret Enemies" for example. I personally am looking forward to when I host Prohibition Secret Enemies. :sick:

Enough about the theme and future possibilities. Now to explain the nature of the game. You can Google the actual game's rules if you wish, but keep in mind that the following rules will be slightly different to adapt it to a forums setting.

1) There are two teams, the Town and the Mafia. The Mafia will have one player that's the Godfather. The Mafia members will know who the Godfather is, but the Godfather will not know who the members of the mafia are. The Mafia cannot contact the Godfather, he must contact a member of the mafia team first. There are no night actions in this game.

2) There are two leaders in the game real game, the President and the Chancellor, based on the Weimar Republic. However, in this version, there will be the Mayor and the Town Council Chair. Every day, the Mayor will be selected at random. The Mayor can be town or mafia. The Mayor then picks one player to be his Town Council Chair. The players will then have 24 hours to vote Yes or No if they want this government to continue. If the majority votes yes, then what I explain in part 3 will occur. If the government is voted down, the mayor is again randomly selected (it will not be the previous person) and this mayor nominates a new chairperson. The new chairperson can be anyone that the new mayor picks. Neither the Mayor nor the Town Council Chair can be a member of the previous day's government. For example, if on Day One Player A is Mayor and he picks Player B to be his chairperson and the government is approved, then Player A and Player B cannot be nominated as the next chairperson. Player A will also never be the Mayor two days in a row.

3) Every day either a Town or Mafia policy will be passed. In the board game, there are 6 "liberal" cards and 11 "fascist" cards. Every day, three cards are drawn from the deck and given to the President, who then discards one and gives two to the Chancellor. In this version, there will be 6 Town cards and 11 Mafia cards in a deck that I will create and draw from myself every day. So, once the Mayor's government is approved, he will be given three policy choices in a PM that I send him, which are the first three cards that I've drawn from the deck that I've created. The Mayor will then pick one policy to discard and then I will give the remaining two policies to the Town Council Chair. The Town Council Chair must then PM me back which policy he wishes to enact. Until the policy is enacted, the Mayor and Town Council Chair CANNOT communicate with the rest of the players in any way. The policies may be drawn in any of the following ways:

- Town, Town, Town

- Town, Town, Mafia

- Town, Mafia, Mafia

- Mafia, Mafia, Mafia

So, if three town policies are drawn, that means that the Town Council Chair will obviously be forced to submit a town policy to me. If three mafia policies are drawn, that means that the Town Council Chair will be forced to submit a mafia policy to me. If three governments fail on one day, then the first policy that is on top of the deck will be drawn. This is very risky.

Win Conditions:

For the Town:

The game is won for the town once it passes five of the six town policies that are in the "deck" or if the Godfather is killed. (More on how the Godfather can die later)

For the Mafia:

The game is won for the mafia once is passes six of the eleven mafia policies that are in the "deck" or if the Godfather is elected Town Council Chair after four mafia policies are enacted.

Special Actions:

The Mayor has special actions that he can perform after each mafia policy is enacted. The President does not get any special powers with each town policy enacted.

- After the first mafia policy is passed, the Mayor can choose one player to investigate. The Mayor will then be told only the affiliation of the player.

- After the second mafia policy is passed, the Mayor can once again choose one player to investigate.

- After the third mafia policy is passed, the Mayor can choose who he wishes the next mayor to be.

- After the fourth mafia policy is passed, the Mayor can kill one player. He must announce who he wishes to kill in thread. He will have 24 hours to submit his decision to allow discussion.

- After the fifth mafia policy is passed, the Mayor can once again kill another player.

- After the sixth mafia policy is passed, the mafia wins.

Some standard mafia rules are still applicable. No talking in thread once you're dead, no OOC, no editing posts, etc.

As a fair warning, there is a possibility that this game could erupt into flames and break rather easily. It is a test of concept game and we're all guinea pigs. The game is relatively new (not even out in stores yet, I've heard about it through a friend) so it's likely never been done in this format before. It's possible that I might make a mistake or someone else might make a mistake and we'll have to start all over again and randomize the roles, but I do want to get a working version of this no matter how many tries it takes in order to add a different sort of game to the forums and for future hosts.

Right now I am looking for an unspecified number of players. I still plan on working out more logistics, so when I have a number you'll be the first to know. I am likely to lean towards the more experienced mafia players simply due to the complex nature of this game, so don't be offended if you're not picked.

If anyone has any questions please ask before looking online. I have every right to change the rules even if it's in the middle of the game if I see something that's gone a bit wrong but is not game changing. I will announce any changes in big bold letters in the day thread and the general discussion thread.

Edited by Bob

I'm not an experienced player so I will not be upset if I am not chosen, but that can't stop me from signing up. Guinea pig #1 is ready!

I ate a guinea pig once so I believe I absorbed the spirit of one so I find myself a suitable test subject for said game!

I have watched a few rounds of Secret Hitler on youtube so I kindve get the concept. Im game to play.

This sounds like a great game!

I shall save my detailed questions until you work out those logistics.

Edited by Umbra-Manis

I think it's some kind of fourth sword... But I'm just as lost as you are.

See, Bob here has done three games in his Excalibur series. Poor JackJonespaw over here hasn't been able to play in a single one. Recently, rumors on the wind have carried over, saying that it could be that Bob is working on a fourth installment...but for now, truth remains in shadow.

Bob, I'm always happy to try whatever you've got! Bring it on and thanks for taking on such a daunting task!

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions, but for now I'll refrain.

I've played secret h*lt*r and enjoyed it.

It'll be interesting to see how the game transitions to forum.

I'd have thought there'd be no pming between players, but I realise that'd be impossible to police.

I'll happily play if you're after Guinea pigs with odd timezones. Otherwise I'll just cheer the town on!

Good to see all sorts of interest! I've narrowed it down to 16 people, but that can change.

I'm familiar with the game but haven't played it. Sign me up. I'll be interested to see if it translates to forum play.

I'd have thought there'd be no pming between players, but I realise that'd be impossible to police.

I think a mature group of players could be trusted to try it that way, but in practice you're 100% right. IMO, better to craft rules around it than to hope everyone complies. Particularly so if people are hoping to repeat the game format.

Finally I have some time for Mafia and this looks great, sign me up please :classic:

A few questions; I think the answers will be No after reading the game description, but I'd just like some clarification.

• Does the mafia get a writeboard of their own (excluding the Godfather) and are PMs fair game?
  • Will there be a daily lynch / will the mafia get to kill someone at night?
  • Will there be discussion as before, in the day threads? As there are no night actions, will there even be game "nights"?

Finally I have some time for Mafia and this looks great, sign me up please :classic:

A few questions; I think the answers will be No after reading the game description, but I'd just like some clarification.

• Does the mafia get a writeboard of their own (excluding the Godfather) and are PMs fair game?
  • Will there be a daily lynch / will the mafia get to kill someone at night?
  • Will there be discussion as before, in the day threads? As there are no night actions, will there even be game "nights"?

The mafia does not get a writeboard, but PMs between the mafia are allowed, but not really necessary except for the godfather needing to contact the other mafia members. There will also not be a daily lynch nor will the mafia get to kill a player at night. There's a huge possibility that nobody will die in this game. Finally, discussion is very much so encouraged. There will be game nights, but mostly as a period of time in between days.

As a general note, the confirmation and start of the game will be sometime after the 4th of July.

The mafia does not get a writeboard, but PMs between the mafia are allowed, but not really necessary except for the godfather needing to contact the other mafia members. There will also not be a daily lynch nor will the mafia get to kill a player at night. There's a huge possibility that nobody will die in this game. Finally, discussion is very much so encouraged. There will be game nights, but mostly as a period of time in between days.

Sounds interesting, and quite a lot more different from Mafia than I initially thought. Looking forward to giving it a go!

Sounds interesting, and quite a lot more different from Mafia than I initially thought. Looking forward to giving it a go!

Also, there will be no character bios in this game. Your role PM will say either Town or Scum.

Hey, I've had a busy life and unfortunately will no longer be able to play. Best of luck to the town when this starts.

Been a while since I played a mafia game last time, but I'd be interested in trying this out. Never heard of Secret Hitler before. I got plenty of time on my hands right now too, so sign me up :sweet:

Sign ups are now closed! Thanks to all who agreed to beta test this potential trainwreck for me!