Dragonfire

Kingdoms Mafia - Conclusion

24504848390_6a5af465f3.jpg

From the writings of Trystane Adeus

It was true. Figures garbed in dark green surcoats over chainmail armour were rushing the walls, hauling themselves up onto the rocks and sprinting for the back entrance to Cresthaven. Apparently Lord Drakensyne had become bored of waiting: the attack had started!

25214475246_b13b7b1a4c_z.jpg

The matter of lynching Glanred was quickly forgotten in the face of a much greater peril. Arming themselves, their faces set, the remaining citizens of Cresthaven took up their positions by the walls or on the battlements of the fort, determined to defend their village.... or destroy it.

24945157030_1bda7abfe7_z.jpg

The first attack came from the western wall. Armed Drakenguard soldiers stormed past the opening, driving back General Avrel and Glanred with their sheer numbers and strength. The woodcutter fought especially ferociously; despite being almost lynched mere minutes ago, his survival lent him renewed strength and he swung his axe like a man possessed.

24613959363_def2c40da8_z.jpg

As Glanred swung again and again, he suddenly heard a swish and felt a hard impact just under his collarbone. A burning pain began to spread outwards, sending waves of pain through his body... then nothing. Above him, Rath Skarbin clutched his crossbow, a sinister smile etched on his scarred features.

24873080739_91871e6307_z.jpg

Meanwhile, Berdam and Wilfred desperately battled the Drakenguard invaders on the battlements. Berdam felt his strength failing him with every blow, but he pressed on doggedly. He was so preoccupied that he didn't see his fellow villager swing his pitchfork around his head instead of striking at the Drakenguard...

24613956613_d865b9d70b_z.jpg

...until it smashed into his face, causing his vision to go black and the world to appear to spin. When he came round, Wilfred was standing over him, pitchfork in hand. His face was set. Berdam tried to speak, but the pitchfork came down before he could make a sound...

24945151470_e4e4de8c93_z.jpg

Sir Eustace Almoner had joined the fray, drawing a shortsword and thrusting wildly with both it and his crutch, fighting side by side with the General. He didn't hear the thump as a former friend and ally shimmied down the tree trunk and landed by the graves. He didn't see the dark blade which had claimed three lives be raised...

25214466616_d5509e110d_z.jpg

...but he did feel the sharp point of the sword as Wilfred thrust it into his neck.

25122484862_26065d4fba_z.jpg

Wilfred stepped over the former soldier's body and watched the General go down amidst a hail of blows, fighting with every breath he still had, brave and loyal to the end.

24873073949_b577e9b981_z.jpg

While the heroes of Cresthaven gave their lives to valiantly cover the King's escape, the King and I hurried out of Cresthaven, heading for the faraway forest which would provide a suitable haven until help came.

25147571681_504baf0f62_z.jpg

But our optimism was quickly shattered.

25147570541_59fe464e01_z.jpg

Lord Drakensyne spoke first, "Your Majesty. And is that Master Adeus beside you? Very pleased to meet you at last."

"Just kill us and be done with it, you dog," growled the King under his breath.

"Oh no, I don't plan to do that.... If I'm going to take power, I think I'll take it legitimately, thank you very much," smirked Lord Drakensyne, "As for you, Adeus - I need someone to record all my deeds and doings. And you are the best historian in the land... In return, you can have your life, and your family's lives as well. What do you say?"

They led us away from the ruined village, filled with death and suffering and wasted lives. It was over. Everything we had strived for, fought for... everything was gone. But we still had hope. There was always hope.

25122479032_26d56f6616_z.jpg

Two months later

We have a new king. Just yesterday, the former King Rustus II abdicated his position, leaving his kingdom to the revered and honoured Lord Drakensyne, chief among the King's barons. Long live the King!

24945141230_f4d932f665_z.jpg

25214457486_7ee6973725_z.jpg

Congratulations to the Drakenguard Assassins - mostlytechnic, Umbra-Manis and the deceased Lord Duvors!

25147564751_c31935f58e_z.jpg

The Living (2)

24430073739_26c9c2fbec_t.jpg Wilfred Orann (mostlytechnic) - Drakenguard Assassins' Killer

24797737785_b89e66539c_t.jpg Rath Skarbin (Umbra-Manis) - Drakenguard Assassins' Roleblocker

The Dead (10)

24169575784_b0ddcd3482_t.jpg Corporal Banning (Tariq j), Town Vengeful Vigilante - lynched Day One

24704246731_b11ed566ac_t.jpg Mairn Upswich (mediumsnowman), Town Roleblocker - killed Day One

24704246331_ddf834806e_t.jpg Klaer Messell (Piratedave84), Vanilla Townie - killed Night One

24704246591_d22c173f0b_t.jpg Felix Anderson (KingoftheZempk), Vanilla Townie - "exiled" Day Two

24170868923_f9ee31a3be_t.jpg Alanna Moreton (Lord Duvors), Drakenguard Assassins' Role-Cop - killed Night Two

24502204090_2c8f9a63bd_t.jpg Fitzwilliam (JackJonespaw), Independent Survivor - escaped Day Three

24502204610_47e9686fa3_t.jpg Sergeant Radford (def), Vanilla Townie - killed Night Three

24797738975_1fbedbde79_t.jpg Glanred (Mencot), Vanilla Townie - lynched Day Four

24704245361_2c2c6053f8_t.jpg Sir Eustace Almoner (Lady K), Vanilla Townie - died in conclusion

24502205130_3a2905f81b_t.jpg Berdam Blost (jluck), Town Investigator - died in conclusion

Night Actions

24945135750_9154edde05_z.jpg

Deadboard Link

Thanks for playing, everyone! Individual player feedback will be up some time tomorrow!

Edited by Dragonfire

I now feel the need to laugh evilly. :devil_laugh:

Thanks for a great game dragonfire! It was a little overwhelming playing scum in my first game, but I had fun. So neither side ended up killing an enemy PR. We all took out our teammates. :head_back:

A job well done to Dragonfire! Thanks for a fun game. :sweet:

Well played scum team! The final lynch was between Mencot and Umbra-Manis. I brought up the issue of the one-shot vig claim by Umbra-Manis and that it is a normal scum role to jluck and we decided to lynch Mencot and use the one-shot to take out MT. Lessons learned for next time. Sorry Mencot. :blush: I should have gone with my gut feeling on Umbra-Manis being scum..... :blush:

Good job scum! I have to say, MT, you fooled me! Your worry over JJP's lynch convinced me you were town!

Great game, thanks for hosting Dragonfire!

Town was at a big disadvantage right out of the gate, losing 2/3 of our power roles on Day 1 before they even got a chance to use their action!

Still, the scum played admirably. I suspected Rath from the beginning (though that's easy to say now :tongue:) but MT I had as "least likely to be scum" of the remaining five. Great job. :thumbup:

Edited by mediumsnowman

And something to be clear... I was the scum killer, but I was not in contact with the other scum at first. I was separated from them until either we got in touch via PM (yeah, like anyone's going to trust anyone to admit they're scum via PM) or one of the scum died. So me accidently killing Lord Duvors was a blessing in disguise. I was then in contact with Umbra, and I had the death of a scum as info to play with.

That's why I was trying to get the info about who the blocker blocked to that night to be revealed - since there was apparently no scum kill night 2, if the blocker had been alive still, their target would have appeared scummy.

The need to get in touch was why I made those weird calls to the assassins day 1 and 2. I was HOPING the other 2 scum would see that and figure out I was the one they were looking for, and if not, I could play it off as either just silly role play or a required flavor in my "town vanilla" role.

I basically played as if I was town, so much so I was worried a few times about my mass claim idea actually working and getting us caught :) Glad it worked out, and yes, we got SUPER lucky with the day 1 results.

Looking at it now, I'm very surprised Tariq didn't claim when he was getting lynched. I think the massive low voter turnout played heavily into that - normally the day 1 lynchee has a huge obvious pile of votes which drives them to claim. He didn't so it was understandable that he didn't - although in his place I likely would have claimed the vengeful part to survive the day. ESPECIALLY since with that role combo, you know you don't have to worry about getting vig killed! And the scum probably wouldn't night kill a vengeful either, worried that they'd die in the process. So a vengeful vig seems VERY powerful to me, if only he'd survived the day :grin:

I think it was a pretty balanced game for being so small. 3 scum seems like a lot, but since we were separated and the neutral was actually neutral, that helped balance it out.

And most importantly, thanks to DF for a fun fun fun game with a great story to work with, and the rest of you for being fun too. Can't wait for the next time...

And something to be clear... I was the scum killer, but I was not in contact with the other scum at first. I was separated from them until either we got in touch via PM (yeah, like anyone's going to trust anyone to admit they're scum via PM) or one of the scum died. So me accidently killing Lord Duvors was a blessing in disguise. I was then in contact with Umbra, and I had the death of a scum as info to play with.

That's why I was trying to get the info about who the blocker blocked to that night to be revealed - since there was apparently no scum kill night 2, if the blocker had been alive still, their target would have appeared scummy.

The need to get in touch was why I made those weird calls to the assassins day 1 and 2. I was HOPING the other 2 scum would see that and figure out I was the one they were looking for, and if not, I could play it off as either just silly role play or a required flavor in my "town vanilla" role.

I basically played as if I was town, so much so I was worried a few times about my mass claim idea actually working and getting us caught :) Glad it worked out, and yes, we got SUPER lucky with the day 1 results.

Looking at it now, I'm very surprised Tariq didn't claim when he was getting lynched. I think the massive low voter turnout played heavily into that - normally the day 1 lynchee has a huge obvious pile of votes which drives them to claim. He didn't so it was understandable that he didn't - although in his place I likely would have claimed the vengeful part to survive the day. ESPECIALLY since with that role combo, you know you don't have to worry about getting vig killed! And the scum probably wouldn't night kill a vengeful either, worried that they'd die in the process. So a vengeful vig seems VERY powerful to me, if only he'd survived the day :grin:

I think it was a pretty balanced game for being so small. 3 scum seems like a lot, but since we were separated and the neutral was actually neutral, that helped balance it out.

And most importantly, thanks to DF for a fun fun fun game with a great story to work with, and the rest of you for being fun too. Can't wait for the next time...

Near the end when I told you in private that I initially thought you were scum, it was the call outs to the scum that made me think you were scum. :laugh: Then the rest of the game you played so well as town, I really thought you were town.

Can we see the scumboard?

There wasn't a normal scumboard. Once Duvors died, DF just set up a PM between the two of us.

Did anyone notice how Duvor's death scene pretty blatantly says the scum killed him? Or that rule 11 (no hints in pictures) was dropped after that? DF told us that he felt like he had to pull the rule after doing that scene since he broke the rule so badly... I said to leave the rule so that we could pass the scene off as just story if necessary, but he'd already taken the rule out.

My question to the town - why SO little voting? Made it easier for us to hide / mess with you / distract with debates about whether the scum hid by voting or hid by not voting / etc...

Very good game Dragonfire! Thanks for letting me play.

So yes! I was the Vengeful/Vig, I was kind of on the fence about claiming, when I came online there were two boys for me and Jack, so I made my vase and hoped someone would place a vote on him, but when I came online again DF told me I had died and had to give in a name. As I said in the deadboard, I was kind of deliberating with myself as to who to go for but I made the wrong choice!

Yeah, well, I think that's where the town got killed by the lack of voting - quite literally :) If there'd been a more normal level of voting occurring, you'd have known whether to claim or not much easier.

Yeah, well, I think that's where the town got killed by the lack of voting - quite literally :) If there'd been a more normal level of voting occurring, you'd have known whether to claim or not much easier.

Agreed, the fact that the majority of people did not vote really bothered me. I still have yet to hear a convincing argument for not voting and this game just reinforces it. Still, MT you played one of the best games I'd seen, my scum list had Umbris at the top but you were at the bottom. Well done!

I was kind of on the fence about claiming

?! You 100% should have claimed. The last game was won thanks to a first day claim!

?! You 100% should have claimed. The last game was won thanks to a first day claim!

Except that on day 1 with two votes on me, I wouldn't assume I'm getting lynched. I can understand the hesitation. I MAY have claimed the vengeful part, but I wouldn't claim vig with just 2 votes on me, I don't think.

Ok, went back and looked at the timeline. There was about 8 hours left when Tariq got the second vote on him - he was then tied with JJP at 2 each, and JJP was that second vote on him. I wouldn't be too worried. When Tariq was online, there was 60-90 minutes left in the day and it was still tied. Under those circumstances, odds were that JJP would be getting lynched, not him. In hindsight it's easy to say he should have claimed, but really... it was a coinflip. Having the dual roles might have made me at least claim the vengeful, but not the vig with it at those vote count.

I can see some logic by not voting day 1, but by day 2 I would have thought everyone would have voted. That bothered me the most, day 2 is critical for voting, plus we now had the benefit of day 1 to look back on. I actually prefer the 'everyone must place a vote or get penalty votes' rule used. Required voting should be used to prevent this sort of thing from happening again.

Except that on day 1 with two votes on me, I wouldn't assume I'm getting lynched. I can understand the hesitation. I MAY have claimed the vengeful part, but I wouldn't claim vig with just 2 votes on me, I don't think.

Ok, went back and looked at the timeline. There was about 8 hours left when Tariq got the second vote on him - he was then tied with JJP at 2 each, and JJP was that second vote on him. I wouldn't be too worried. When Tariq was online, there was 60-90 minutes left in the day and it was still tied. Under those circumstances, odds were that JJP would be getting lynched, not him. In hindsight it's easy to say he should have claimed, but really... it was a coinflip. Having the dual roles might have made me at least claim the vengeful, but not the vig with it at those vote count.

A coin flip wouldn't have satisfied me. I would have claimed. I would have claimed vig, and assumed the doctor was smart enough to trust the claim. That's just me, I assume other players aren't dumb, and it is often my downfall.

I can see some logic by not voting day 1, but by day 2 I would have thought everyone would have voted. That bothered me the most, day 2 is critical for voting, plus we now had the benefit of day 1 to look back on. I actually prefer the 'everyone must place a vote or get penalty votes' rule used. Required voting should be used to prevent this sort of thing from happening again.

I always demand required voting as a host, even if I'm not always an ideal player. For some of this game (and the last), I was either working or drunk (unfortunately), so I missed time I could vote. Or I was on a family trip to Costco or something (believe it or not, the wife doesn't care for online mafia). In most games, I have a bunch of desk hours to goof off in mafia, but I was stuck to 20 minutes here or there in this game. I doubt we'd have had a different result if I had been more 'on' since I had no regrets of the JJP lynch, but I would have at least voted day one and day two.

Good jog scum! It was an interesting game to follow.

Great game DF, thanks for hosting it and thanks for having me. Sorry for being a bit busy and absent in the beginning.

Congrats to the scum team and especially MT, :thumbup: .

Thanks for a great game dragonfire! It was a little overwhelming playing scum in my first game, but I had fun. So neither side ended up killing an enemy PR. We all took out our teammates. :head_back:

Yeah. I was hoping you wouldn't kill jluck, seeing as he was the only town PR for almost the entire game... you almost did on Night Three though :tongue:

In fact, the way they were supposed to get in contact with you (barring the deaths of any of them) was for Lord Duvors to use his Role-Cop action on you. I didn't tell you this, since I wanted to keep you in the dark about what roles they had. I did tell them though.

So a vengeful vig seems VERY powerful to me, if only he'd survived the day :grin:

He could only kill at night on even-numbered nights.

Can we see the scumboard?

Sorry, mostly's right, it was just two PMs.

Did anyone notice how Duvor's death scene pretty blatantly says the scum killed him? Or that rule 11 (no hints in pictures) was dropped after that? DF told us that he felt like he had to pull the rule after doing that scene since he broke the rule so badly... I said to leave the rule so that we could pass the scene off as just story if necessary, but he'd already taken the rule out.

Yeah, sorry about that :blush:

Very good game Dragonfire! Thanks for letting me play. So yes! I was the Vengeful/Vig, I was kind of on the fence about claiming, when I came online there were two boys for me and Jack, so I made my vase and hoped someone would place a vote on him, but when I came online again DF told me I had died and had to give in a name. As I said in the deadboard, I was kind of deliberating with myself as to who to go for but I made the wrong choice!

Is your autocorrect acting up? :tongue::look:

I felt sorry for you, it was so unexpected and it wasn't as if you were the primary lynch candidate. Umbra-Manis was also at two votes, and I thought it might end in a tie after all.

Agreed, the fact that the majority of people did not vote really bothered me. I still have yet to hear a convincing argument for not voting and this game just reinforces it. Still, MT you played one of the best games I'd seen, my scum list had Umbris at the top but you were at the bottom. Well done!

I'm kinda glad that I introduced the most-votes lynch rule, since otherwise there would've been a no-lynch on the first two days and things would have stagnated.

Yeah, I think so too.

Comments on the Game

Overall, I felt the game went well! Most of you really got stuck in and I know at least from reading the scum PM that there was quite a bit of PMing going on behind the scenes. My only minor quibble was activity - especially on the first two days. I felt the second day lynch in particular was somewhat lazy and if everyone had been more active, things would have gone much more smoothly.

For the setup, I blatantly stole borrowed Bob's setup of Excalibur Mafia School, the first game I ever played. It was a 12 player setup with an investigative, blocking and killing role on each side, plus a number of vanilla townies. I made three modifications. First, I introduced the survivor role; secondly, I made the town vigilante both vengeful and only able to kill every other night; and lastly, I separated the scum killer (mostlytechnic) from the other two scum at the beginning of the game and didn't inform him of his teammates' identity (or vice versa). For fairness reasons, I decided to unite the scum upon the death of one scum, as I felt it would be a great sadness if mostlytechnic killed both of his teammates, costing him the win.

I had lots of fun first-time hosting; my only mistake, as mentioned already by mostlytechnic, was breaking one of my own rules :blush: I used the basic rules template from JJP's Second Crash Mafia, and ended up mistakenly including Rule 11 in the rules list. It wasn't meant to be there! I didn't even notice the rule until Umbra-Manis was asking mostly for advice on how to structure his vig fake-claim in the scum PM, and mostly said that the manner of Duvors' death meant that Umbra-Manis couldn't theoretically claim to have killed him. I then realised my mistake, and informed the scum of it before removing the rule entirely from the last few game day-threads. Sorry :look:

Individual Player Feedback

Tariq j - It was a shame you were lynched Day One - it came out of nowhere and I understand that you didn't feel you were in danger enough to claim, being in a three-way tie with JJP and Umbra-~Manis for the lynch. You participated and did well, but unfortunately someone has to be the lynch on Day One. Your choice of kill was also unfortunate :tongue:

mediumsnowman - To be honest, I was shocked when Tariq sent in his kill on you. It was so unlucky for the Town to lose two PRs on the first day - poor jluck was on his own for the remainder of the game! I feel you would have gone far had you lived - you were certainly focused, active and on top of things; who knows, if you'd survived the night you might have gone after JJP because there was only one kill when you blocked him. Besides, you made the scum worried, and that's a good thing. You were also active on the deadboard :thumbup:

Piratedave84 - I was hoping you'd be more active than in the last game we played together; unfortunately, this didn't change. You made the least amount of posts on Day One, didn't vote and didn't comment on the deadboard at all even after your death. Maybe you might have become more active if you'd survived to Day Two, but we'll never know :sceptic:

KingoftheZempk - You also fell into the trap of low activity, but I think you were lynched because the town was lazy, nobody was posting much or analysing much and the votes just sort of piled on.... Your revenge vote on Day One was where it started, I think, so don't do that again. I think you could have escaped the lynch had you put up a fight to defend yourself.

Lord Duvors - Like the previous two people, you could have posted more and voted to boot. You were killed for being quiet, and I think that sums up your role in the game. Sorry :sceptic:

JackJonespaw - I honestly felt sorry for you - once you were investigated as Neutral, your lynch was inevitable. You did put up a fight both in public and in private, and the scum were considering trying to switch the lynch in return for you siding with them. You also roleplayed well and kept in character like I knew you would :wink:

def - As always, you were investigated first and became the focal point for claims and a "town block" forming :tongue: Unfortunately for you and jluck, there were no other PRs left to claim and so you didn't really get anywhere. But I felt you did an admirable job and seemed to be quite privately active. Your points about JJP were also solid - if he had survived the lynch, he might well have allied himself with the Scum instead of the Town.

Mencot - You were initially rather quiet, but your activity picked up as the game went on. You also managed to stay in character well, so good for you :classic: Your dramatic accusation of Lady K on Day Four was also entertaining to watch; may I enquire as to your reasoning behind it? You were also the only person (I think) to suspect mostlytechnic, and the scum were convinced that you were a PR of some sort, which misled them to some extent.

Umbra-Manis - You played really well for a first game, and exceeded expectations! You clearly have a good grasp of Mafia and understand the rules and roles, and you were also able (much like mediumsnowman and Sir Stig in Blacktron Mafia) to slyly slip under the radar for most of the game due to being new! It was only on Day Four when people became suspicious of you, and you managed to delay that suspicion with a clever claim. You might well have been lynched had the townies not spent valuable time deliberating over the claim, and you narrowly escaped the lynch at the end of Day Four as it is! Your tactical discussion in the scum PM was very good and sound as well :thumbup:

jluck - The lonely town PR! I'm sure you said and did more behind the scenes with Lady K and def than what was said in thread, and the scum never guessed you were the investigator! You also cleverly dropped some hints to suggest you weren't the investigator, which probably saved you from a kill - you were almost killed on Night Three instead of def. Well done :classic:

Lady K - I'm impressed by your roleplaying - I laughed out loud when Umbra-Manis asked you whether you had a joke flavour role on Day Four! You definitely stayed in character convincingly for the whole game :thumbup: You were also one of the most active players, along with jluck, JJP and mostlytechnic, and you contributed a lot to discussion and analysis. You took charge well on Day Four, and I'm sure if you'd gotten online towards the end, you and Mencot could have switched the lynch to Umbra-Manis. Once you'd announced in thread that you'd found a fishy claim (presumably his), it was really a race against time whether you could get online to switch the lynch and ask Mencot to follow you. You were almost there :classic:

mostlytechnic - If there was a MVP award for this game, you'd get it. You played outstandingly - you were active, argued convincingly and soundly, and managed to get yourself at the top of everyone's town-lists (except for Mencot). Your tactical discussion on the scum PM was also excellent, and your theorising both in-thread and in private as well. You really deserved to win the game, and I'm glad you did. Very well done :classic::thumbup:

** I almost forgot your subtle call-outs to your teammates on the first two days - unfortunately nothing came of them, but Lady K picked them out!

Edited by Dragonfire

Thanks DF - and I was assuming the other 2 scum had some sort of investigative ability to help find me. I think you implied they had something in my PM without being specific. But that was the goal of my shoutouts, to draw their investigation and hook us up.

Thanks umbra, it was fun playing with you and like DF said, good job! Way to make that fake claim work...

Oh, and the choice of medium as the vengeful kill was what gave that role away. It's normal for vengeful to kill whoever placed the final vote on them, and that had been medium. If Tariq had picked someone else as the kill, it would have confused things quite a bit more. At least would have opened up the possibility of day roles and stuff.

Good job scum! I have to say, MT, you fooled me! Your worry over JJP's lynch convinced me you were town!

Good :) I really did want him to survive, since I knew the kills enough to believe he really was what he said. So I definitely would have rather seen a town lynched that day instead of him. Made it that much easier to make the case to save him!

Thanks for the feedback Dragonfire, and once again, very good job hosting. :thumbup: I'm still hammering my head against the wall for what I did, sorry Maris. *Mairn* :devil:

Is your autocorrect acting up? :tongue::look:

Oh dear. Reading it back does sound very odd. Autocorrect is definitely playing up. *waves hand* this isn't the post you're looking for , move along.

This. There was a 1 in 3 chance I could of got lynched and I was fairly confident that I would make it. I think it was brought up in the deadboard that had other people voted things would've turned out differently because a majority wasn't required.

Edited by Tariq j

MT, you clever sonofabitch. You coulda saved me on Day 3, man, and gained an ally, but you didn't. Worked out for you, though. Fantastic playing, man! You too, UM, seriously good job being scum in your first game.

Your points about JJP were also solid - if he had survived the lynch, he might well have allied himself with the Scum instead of the Town.

That was actually my plan from the beginning - it just made more sense to, considering my win conditions. especially once Lord Duvors died, I felt like reaching out to the scum team was our best bet of winning the game. Turns out they didn't need me, but it was worth a shot. I was trying to get in good with MT from nearly the beginning - but it wasn't easy for me to just come out and say that I was neutral.

Of course, once def found out, I was kinda screwed.

JJP - the way you tried to befriend me at the beginning, I thought at first you might be scum responding to my call.

Plus, why try to ally with you? There'd have been a risk of you then revealing the scum identities to the town to re-gain their trust and win with them, considering there's less scum and therefore easier to pick off if you know who they are.

So, if I could save you as a distraction to the town without getting myself suspected, great. So I fought for you. But you weren't worth risking the small scum team for...