Sign in to follow this  
dundunk

lego ninjago epic dragon battle

Being firstly released in May 2012,i found some reviews about this LEGO Ninjago Epic Dragon Battle, which offers 915 pieces and 8 mini figures.is there any readers here that has experience with this awesome set to share with us?

Well, I've been preparing to write a review of this particular set for The Ninjago Wiki, but I've got a few other reviews to get through first. But here are some of my thoughts about the set.

Simply put, the idea of a four-headed fusion of the previous four dragons was a brilliant idea. It was something I had imagined being cool even before I knew it would end up being in a set.

The Ultra Dragon itself certainly exceeded my expectations. Despite having a lot of colors and a much less repetitive wing design than last year's dragons, it feels very cohesive. Its body is very solid, despite being hinged in the middle to control the wing function, and its wings look stunning from all angles, whether spread out or folded back. The handle on the back is unobtrusive though not entirely inconspicuous. And the head patterns are amazing, much more so than I could appreciate in pictures

In terms of functions it's also outstanding. The wing function works smoothly, and the tail function (although it has no convenient knob like that of the Earth Dragon) allows for quite dynamic play and posing. Just swaying the body back and forth while holding it by its handle gives it quite a lot of movement. The legs aren't all that posable compared to last year's dragons, but they are solid enough to keep it standing which is really what's most important. They don't look awkward while flying, either.

The Great Devourer is a bit more of a mixed bag. Its rigid body pose is admittedly necessary for it to effectively carry the MASSIVE weight of its head. Even so it's hard to keep it standing upright on a soft surface like a bed, though it stands just fine in any pose on a flatter, more solid surface. Its color scheme is mostly very well-organized-- even the dark stone grey lower jaw so many people complained about fades wonderfully into its body patterns. And its eyes look downright sinister, more so than those of the Fangpyre vehicles.

Now, in terms of functions the Devourer is a bit weaker. A basic minifigure can fit in its mouth just fine, but large headgear like Sensei Wu's hat has to be removed, and you're out of luck if you want it to swallow a fig as large as the Serpentine generals. Additionally, though its mouth looks just as good opened or closed, there is no feasible way to keep it open except by leaning the entire front section of its body back so its jaw is opened towards the sky. Since its upper jaw connected to the body by non-friction Technic pins, any other pose (excepting the use of tape or sticky tack) will have its jaw snap shut as soon as it is released by the Hand of God.

The little prison cell is very stylish and has a great number of excellent parts. The venom fountain at the top is amazing-looking, as are the twin snake heads. The sticker sheet definitely serves the tower portion well. The venom trap function inside the prison is simple but effective. And the dark red rocks provide excellent atmosphere.

Minifigures in this set are, for a dedicated Ninjago collector, must-haves. Sensei Wu, Lord Garmadon, Chokun, Lloyd ZX, and Jay ZX all come in other sets (barring that Sensei Wu's hat is Warm Gold rather than Brick Yellow (tan), unlike in the Destiny's Bounty), but Skalidor and Acidicus are exclusive to this set, and their designs are phenomenal. This is also (IMO) a better way to get Lloyd ZX than the spinner set. Also included are all four Golden Weapons of Spinjitzu, so if you didn't get them in other sets (or just want more tasty gold), then this is a great way to acquire them.

In general I'd consider this the must-have Ninjago set of this year. Great parts, great minifigures, a great build, and great models once completed. I wouldn't recommend paying more than MSRP for it if possible, but I would not be surprised if it ends up in short supply at some retailers.

Like Aanchir already said, this is basically the all-inclusive ninjago set: Dragon, organic-looking snake head, Green Ninja, architecture and golden weapons.

Well, I've been preparing to write a review of this particular set for The Ninjago Wiki, but I've got a few other reviews to get through first. But here are some of my thoughts about the set.

Simply put, the idea of a four-headed fusion of the previous four dragons was a brilliant idea. It was something I had imagined being cool even before I knew it would end up being in a set.

The Ultra Dragon itself certainly exceeded my expectations. Despite having a lot of colors and a much less repetitive wing design than last year's dragons, it feels very cohesive. Its body is very solid, despite being hinged in the middle to control the wing function, and its wings look stunning from all angles, whether spread out or folded back. The handle on the back is unobtrusive though not entirely inconspicuous. And the head patterns are amazing, much more so than I could appreciate in pictures

In terms of functions it's also outstanding. The wing function works smoothly, and the tail function (although it has no convenient knob like that of the Earth Dragon) allows for quite dynamic play and posing. Just swaying the body back and forth while holding it by its handle gives it quite a lot of movement. The legs aren't all that posable compared to last year's dragons, but they are solid enough to keep it standing which is really what's most important. They don't look awkward while flying, either.

The Great Devourer is a bit more of a mixed bag. Its rigid body pose is admittedly necessary for it to effectively carry the MASSIVE weight of its head. Even so it's hard to keep it standing upright on a soft surface like a bed, though it stands just fine in any pose on a flatter, more solid surface. Its color scheme is mostly very well-organized-- even the dark stone grey lower jaw so many people complained about fades wonderfully into its body patterns. And its eyes look downright sinister, more so than those of the Fangpyre vehicles.

Now, in terms of functions the Devourer is a bit weaker. A basic minifigure can fit in its mouth just fine, but large headgear like Sensei Wu's hat has to be removed, and you're out of luck if you want it to swallow a fig as large as the Serpentine generals. Additionally, though its mouth looks just as good opened or closed, there is no feasible way to keep it open except by leaning the entire front section of its body back so its jaw is opened towards the sky. Since its upper jaw connected to the body by non-friction Technic pins, any other pose (excepting the use of tape or sticky tack) will have its jaw snap shut as soon as it is released by the Hand of God.

The little prison cell is very stylish and has a great number of excellent parts. The venom fountain at the top is amazing-looking, as are the twin snake heads. The sticker sheet definitely serves the tower portion well. The venom trap function inside the prison is simple but effective. And the dark red rocks provide excellent atmosphere.

Minifigures in this set are, for a dedicated Ninjago collector, must-haves. Sensei Wu, Lord Garmadon, Chokun, Lloyd ZX, and Jay ZX all come in other sets (barring that Sensei Wu's hat is Warm Gold rather than Brick Yellow (tan), unlike in the Destiny's Bounty), but Skalidor and Acidicus are exclusive to this set, and their designs are phenomenal. This is also (IMO) a better way to get Lloyd ZX than the spinner set. Also included are all four Golden Weapons of Spinjitzu, so if you didn't get them in other sets (or just want more tasty gold), then this is a great way to acquire them.

In general I'd consider this the must-have Ninjago set of this year. Great parts, great minifigures, a great build, and great models once completed. I wouldn't recommend paying more than MSRP for it if possible, but I would not be surprised if it ends up in short supply at some retailers.

thank you for your review :thumbup::thumbup: