Sign in to follow this  
AlexJ

Combining 2 70413 Brick Bounty

Hi.

After i built the brick bounty i found it too simple and plain looking.

I don't have a lot of pieces to customise it so i bought another brick bounty set in order to make the ship bigger.

Now, staring at all the pieces, i don't know if i made the right choice of purchasing another set.

I need tips/advice on how to make this ship better by combining 2 sets?

Are there MOCers who have done this?

Tips on how to improve it's appearance by using basic pick a brick elements would be helpful too!

Thanks.

maybe you can upgrade it like the imperial flagship. though there are different elements invoived

Well I will do the same when I find a second one on sail (hmmm I mean sale, only just caught that typo, but I thought I would leave it in!)... in term of advice...

I advise putting "brick bounty" into the search function of the Pirate MOC forum, and then you get a list of all the other MODed Brick Bountys...

But if you type "Brickbounty" all one word you get this one... which looks quite cool and the photos make it easy to replicate.

I'd suggest extend the hull by 1 piece - that way you get a bigger ship and a bit more space to play with, but allowing more parts per section to really get a good level of detail. I find the shop one is quite bare for my liking so I'd say don't be tempted to do something much bigger or you'll end up with just a bigger one, not really a better one in my opinion.

Since this is a MOD of a set, it should go in the Pirate MOCs Forum.

I don't own the set yet, but I can try to help. :pir-grin:

Hull:

I would make the hull with an additional 2 mid-sections, depending on how long you think it needs to be for three masts. I would add a gangway similar to what's on the Black Seas Barracuda. There would need to be railing added, which would build up the sides of the vessel, so it doesn't look odd with a higher stern and low gangway.

Captains Cabin & Stern:

I would use only the gold lattice windows with black frames for windows. Consider the 2 stud wide windows as extras. I don't think the captain's cabin needs to be much longer than it is currently. I would get rid of the cannon on top of the captain's cabin and build it up higher maybe adding a window or two behind the helm, similar to the Queen Anne's Revenge set. Building up the stern could get hairy if you don't have the right sloped bricks of your own. Don't forget to try the red 1X2 curve-sloped bricks. You could use brackets or headlight bricks for some SNOT work.

Rigging:

You could change the rigging to a classic ship-rig (see below). Three masts. Three square-rigged sails -- 2 skull and 1 tiny -- on the fore and main masts. The mizzen -- back -- mast could have the lateen sail and if there's room, a tiny sail on top. You have one tiny sail left. It could be placed under the bowsprit.

If you aren't able to use both tiny square rigged sails, you could use it to add a sail for a brick-built row-boat that you could make in the future.

640px-Alternate_fully_rigged_ship_sail_plan.png

there are a couple of people with modified bounties here. I think Captain Braunsfield made a nice one using two sets...

Anyways I would add 1-2 hull sections extra and add a third mast. I would also add a full deck, and raise the height of the captains cabin, and add two doors with a middle ladder. Get rid of the cannon on the back and close that off. I wish I had pictures of what i see in my mind so I could show you haha.

But if you type "Brickbounty" all one word you get this one... which looks quite cool and the photos make it easy to replicate.

That'd be my design hehe, I still need to do several changes and upgrades, might be doing those next week and uploading results on the same thread :)

Thanks a lot everyone!

Brickon, i hope you get another bounty 'on sail'! hehe

Thanks Phred for the detailed tips.

Amazing looking ships Yawgmoth.

Is there any chance you made instructions for your Mod ships?

"Simple and plain looking" is an understatement for the official set. More like "missing half its parts" or "who stole the decks?" The biggest problem with the Brick Bounty (besides its pathetic name) is the lack of good building bricks. TLG wasted a big chunk of the piece count on unnecessary frills, like the decor on the sides of the hull. What we really need is more ordinary parts to build it up into something respectable. Buying multiple copies gives you lots of hull pieces, masts, sails, shrouds, windows, red slopes and... not much else. It's enough to make a good start and not much more than that. Good luck!

Where can I see the pictures of what you've already done?

I agree. You should post pictures. :thumbup: