Gary The Procrastinator

Defense of La Haye Sainte Farm, Battle of Waterloo

UPDATED with shots of the 95th Rifles from the collaboration display at Brickfair VA; see my latest post below. You can also see the

JBIronworks and I have been working on this for months, but it was worth it. It was displayed at Brickfair Virginia as part of a massive Battle of Waterloo collaboration of 12 builders, 2100+ minifigs and over 8 feet by 15 feet of diorama. There are 561 minigfigs on this diorama here. 100% LEGO except for the flags, which were made by Cape Madness.

19795954938_538b68a969_z.jpg

During the Battle of Waterloo, 18 June 1815, the struggle for La Haye Sainte farm played out to be an epic “battle-within-a-battle”. Contained within a walled compound on the Charleroi-Brussels road of what was then the Netherlands, the farm gave a major advantage to whichever side possessed it. The position dominated the central part of the battlefield and offered a sheltered location to initiate an attack and shield artillery. Nearly 400 sharpshooters of the Kings German Legion (KGL) 1st and 2nd Light Battalions of the British Army defended the farm against an estimated 4000 French infantry of d’Erlon’s Corps, which attacked them in waves.

19957660796_69957f73f6_z.jpg

Although the KGL were armed with the superior Baker Rifle (a musket with a rifled barrel) which possessed far greater accuracy and range than the standard musket used by the French, it took longer to load and used specialized ammunition. The commanding officer, Major George Baring, repeatedly asked for more ammo from his superiors but was never provided any due to oversights.

19988967941_a1ee91ff90.jpg

Sappers try and force the main gate to La Haye Sainte, but the doors resisted hours of abuse from both their axes and their exertion, finally giving in after 5 hours.

19371527204_e71667db97.jpg

The roof of the farm's pigpen offered an easily accessed high point where 12 KGL were stationed to sharpshoot the attacking French. They were led by the brash Lieutenant Graeme (in the center of the photo with sabre), a young Scottish officer who joined the KGL. He defended the spot with such ferocity that after 6 hours of fighting, when the KGL finally had to retreat due to lack of ammunition, Major George Baring gave him "the honor" of fighting the rear-guard action to cover the retreat, a hazardous duty to say the least. Together with 9 tough enlisted men, he held hundreds of French off until finally they were overwhelmed. Graeme fought off 4 infantrymen who tried to bayonet him and managed to escape almost unharmed. He lived a long life afterward, achieving a high rank, and always cherished his nickname earned that day, "Commander of the Pigpen."

19967868566_8dab2c56a9.jpg

The inner courtyard was defended by a mix of the KGL 1st and 2nd Light Battalions of the British Army. They were led by the brave officer on horseback, Major George Baring, a Hanoverian who like most of the KGL was a refugee from his home after Napoleon invaded the Principality of Hanover. The KGL fought for the British more out of patriotism to oppose the French rather than as mercenaries, and were among the best troops in the British forces present at Waterloo. Major Baring, like most officers of the time, insisted on staying on horseback to be seen by his men, even though it made him an obvious target. He had three horses shot out from under him, but was otherwise unscathed by the battle and lived to reach the rank of Lieutenant General. Baring was however deeply effected by the loss of so many of his men, and as a result in his writings of Waterloo he never referred to it as a victory.

19794499280_bd10e8d8fc.jpg

Here the French have found the open passage to the west, and are fighting their way in. Opposing them are the sharpshooters of the KGL 1st and 2nd Light Battalions. The 2nd Lt BN wore dark green to partially conceal their locations, while their brothers in the 1st Lt BN wore the traditional British red tunic and dark grey campaign trousers.

19794304798_74512938b9.jpg

One of the spots hotly contested was the Kitchen Garden on the north side of the farmhouse. Major George Baring ordered it well defended, as it was their only relatively safe path back up to the slope up to British lines if they had to retreat. The French assaulted it many times, but the Germans held on there the entire time and it indeed was their only line of retreat after the KGL ran out of ammunition.

19371471504_a40a7ca1e3.jpg

The fight for the barn was bloody and brutal, chiefly because the back barn door had been pulled down and used for firewood by a serparate German unit the night before, leaving a gaping vulnerability for the French to enter. Captain Hans von dem Busche spread his men in a semi-circle around the entrance and defended it tenaciously, with bodies of the French fallen used as a grisly defensive wall. Eventually the French became so enraged that they set fire to the barn twice, but each time the KGL rallied to put it out, using water from the pond and at first their shako hats for buckets, as all the farm's buckets had been used for firewood as well. Once the 1st Light Battalion showed up with kettles in their kit though they switched to using them to carry the water. The French eventually took the entrance and began to shoot into the barn, taking the building at the end of the fighting as the KGL withdrew.

After 6 hours of vicious fighting, the KGL were out of ammunition and forced to retreat, but their delaying action disrupted and delayed Napoleon’s attack plans. By the time Bonaparte made his major attack with his Imperial Guard at 6:00pm, it was too little too late to save the French from final defeat. The “thin red line” of the British held, and the Prussian army had finally arrived in force to tip the balance for the Allies.

The Kings German Legion 2nd Light Battalion paid a high price for their bravery however, having taken horrendous casualties. Only 44 of 378 were present for duty the following morning, when they started their pursuit of the retreating French.

This amazing battle for La Haye Sainte played out like a movie script, with many of the KGL performing daring raids, turning away entire French columns by shooting their officers off their horses, facing long-odds, surviving what should have been lethal attacks, and even captures and escapes. For more on the subject, I highly recommend the new book by Brendan Simms, “The Longest Afternoon”. Great history and a fast, action-filled read.

Hope you like our display! Comments are very welcome.

Edited by Gary The Procrastinator

This is one of the best historically-correct Lego builds ever completed! The scale is incredible but applying such exact attention to details throughout is simply mind-boggling. I've seen numerous historic dioramas in other media that were excellent visual aids and this is no exception. The buildings, walls, and gates are superb and the rest of the farm's features are well-represented. Obviously a lot of research went into the layout and positioning of the different troops and the final result is nothing short of phenomenal. Overall this is a good history lesson for anyone who appreciates such things. I believe I was right when I said the prior build was an appetizer, because this is a most extraordinary entree. Excellent work!

Congratulations Gary on an amazing build. I know this farm building well in real life and can see how accurate your MOC is.

I had hoped to see something like this as you were preparing for the exhibition.

And I have not been disappointed - this is fantastic, both in size, detail and devotion to the topic.

What details should I mention? The burning barn? The trees, the fields? The numerous soldiers in action?

Very very well done!

Wow, I've never seen so many minifigs. Amazing detail and landscaping. Very realistic, I like this a lot.

Amazing build, love that Napoleon era (and US Revolutionary war). I wish i could build something like that one day :-)

Gary, as you know, this is the build I was waiting to see so long! pirate_laugh2.gif Now, I am of course, mind blown. I thought it'd be big... but not this big pirate_oh.gif And, I understand it is part of some MASSIVE waterloo thing? Wow. I cannot say I have a favourite part, because really, every single part is amazing.. How did you get ALL those minifigures/minifigure parts?? Bricklink? pir_wacko.gif I am again, mindblown. 10/10 Now, I'll just sit back a bit a look at all it's fine details and minifigure deaths pir_laugh2.gif Great, great job.

Stupendous build Gary, the mere size and scale are amazing, and the accuracy, superb building techniques, and fantastic posing really make this masterpiece stand out!

This is truly incredible as already pointed out above. I'll always remember the way the miniature diorama of the Battle of the Alamo captured my imagination and appreciation for the sacrifice of those early Texans as a child. This display immediately made me think of that and how great it would be to see other similar battles re-created with the scale and quality of this masterpiece.

Here is an example: alamo61.jpg

This is just great. I remember this from school and from a show in the TV. You wrote the story very well ! What shall I say to the Moc itself? Just perfect. I wished I could come to the exhibition. I love itpirate_classic.gif

just saw the beyondthebrick coverage - SIMPLY AMAZING!!!!

Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by CaptainToad

All, thank you for your kind comments and sorry about the time delay; Brickfair Virginia 2015 was outstanding and we thoroughly enjoyed it, but boy the cleanup has got us all a bit burnt out for the moment. I know I said I would post pictures of the full Battle of Waterloo collab here, but it will actually be JBIronworks who posts them here when he joins in three weeks (his 18th B'day). I was "Brothers Bricked" for this La Haye Sainte portion and so we decided he would get to post the main shots of the final large collab. And the full display was awesome; JBIronworks did indeed get posted on The Brothers Brick as a result. I was

, click on the link If you care to see it. Also, the next post has my shots of the 95th RIfles on the display if you want to check that out.

This is one of the best historically-correct Lego builds ever completed! The scale is incredible but applying such exact attention to details throughout is simply mind-boggling. I've seen numerous historic dioramas in other media that were excellent visual aids and this is no exception. The buildings, walls, and gates are superb and the rest of the farm's features are well-represented. Obviously a lot of research went into the layout and positioning of the different troops and the final result is nothing short of phenomenal. Overall this is a good history lesson for anyone who appreciates such things. I believe I was right when I said the prior build was an appetizer, because this is a most extraordinary entree. Excellent work!

Wow Capt Dee, what a kind thing to say! Greatly appreciate it. Yes, we poured a lot of time in research on this one. The Longest Afternoon by Brendan Simms is a superb source.

I don't have the words. This is absolutely mind-blowing.

Thank you PB!

Congratulations Gary on an amazing build. I know this farm building well in real life and can see how accurate your MOC is.

Wow Michael how totally cool that we got it right by someone who has actually been there. I hope to go sometime in the future, maybe next year. Glad to see all that research paid off.

Insanely cool! :wub:

Thanks Graham!

I had hoped to see something like this as you were preparing for the exhibition. And I have not been disappointed - this is fantastic, both in size, detail and devotion to the topic. What details should I mention? The burning barn? The trees, the fields? The numerous soldiers in action? Very very well done!

Thank you Captain B, I appreciate it very much, hope you like the full collaboration too.

Fantastic work! Stunning build and very interesting story :)

Thank you Balthazar, good to hear.

Gary and son did it again! Superb build and historical commendation. Great job!

Thank you BD, we had a great time building it together.

Wow, I've never seen so many minifigs. Amazing detail and landscaping. Very realistic, I like this a lot.

Thank you Knight, the full collaboration wound up having 2146 minifigs from 8 different builders.

Amazing build, love that Napoleon era (and US Revolutionary war). I wish i could build something like that one day :-)

You will! Just keep collecting and one day you will have enough. Besides, it doesn't have to be huge to be good.

Incredible build. The sheer size alone is impressive let alone the fact that is part of an even bigger moc!

Thank you Hobbythom, the full collab wound up 15 feet by 8 feet. That was a LOT of LEGO!

Gary, as you know, this is the build I was waiting to see so long! :pir-grin: Now, I am of course, mind blown. I thought it'd be big... but not this big :pir-oh: And, I understand it is part of some MASSIVE waterloo thing? Wow. I cannot say I have a favourite part, because really, every single part is amazing.. How did you get ALL those minifigures/minifigure parts?? Bricklink? :pir_wacko: I am again, mindblown. 10/10 Now, I'll just sit back a bit a look at all it's fine details and minifigure deaths :pir_laugh2: Great, great job.

Wow, James, thank you very much. I started collecting them in 1998, and every time LEGO has put out a Pirate line since have picked them up. The Kings German Legion and 95th Rifles are recent adds, we've got about 50 of the dark green a piece. I really appreciate your generous comments, thank you!

Really just incredible. Great work as usual.

Thank you 2Maxwell.

Woah amazing. Could look at the pictures for hours. Would love to see it in real. :)

THank you; you can see a lot of it if you go to

Stupendous build Gary, the mere size and scale are amazing, and the accuracy, superb building techniques, and fantastic posing really make this masterpiece stand out!

Garmadon, coming from you that means a lot, thank you very much kind sir!

This is truly incredible as already pointed out above. I'll always remember the way the miniature diorama of the Battle of the Alamo captured my imagination and appreciation for the sacrifice of those early Texans as a child. This display immediately made me think of that and how great it would be to see other similar battles re-created with the scale and quality of this masterpiece.

Here is an example: alamo61.jpg

I've seen this diorama with my own eyes and have shots of it! I've been to The Alamo half a dozen times, but the last time in 2011 they had removed this model completely from the chapel, I was so disappointed. Yes, it did inspire my build indeed. Thanks so much for the post!

This is just great. I remember this from school and from a show in the TV. You wrote the story very well ! What shall I say to the Moc itself? Just perfect. I wished I could come to the exhibition. I love it :pir-classic:

Thank you Matthias, I'm glad it brought back some memories for you.

just saw the beyondthebrick coverage - SIMPLY AMAZING!!!!

Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Capt T, appreciate it.

Edited by Gary The Procrastinator

Amazing work Gary... The moc is ofc great but your minifig posing is also superb... Lovely scene!

So here are the 95th Rifles! As I said in the previous post, it was an amazing show, and with one of his first posts here once he gets his EB account in 3 weeks (18th B'Day), JBIronworks will post the main full collab shots here. But I do get to post my Rifles! Click on the pictures for greater details.

19953850414_21f6649ff9_z.jpg

Formed in January 1800 to provide sharpshooters, scouts and skirmishers, the 95th Rifles soon became an established regular regiment and named the 95th Regiment of Foot (Rifles). The unit was distinguished by its use of the Baker Rifle, a musket with a rifled barrel, which had much longer range and better accuracy than the standard “Brown Bess” used by the rest of the British Army. They also wore green uniforms in place of the traditional British red—the first regular infantry corps in the British Army to do so.

The riflemen were trained to work in open order and to be able to think for themselves. They operated in pairs ahead of the main infantry, which were bunched in close formations. They were taught to make best use of natural cover and to harass the enemy with aimed shots. These tactics, which had originated in campaigns in North America, were unorthodox for the time. It was generally considered impractical for individual soldiers to aim at specific targets and conventional tactics favored the mass volley from a close formation and the bayonet.

20550209936_29290ec544_z.jpg

The treatment of the 95th Rifles was markedly different from the rest of the British Army at the time. Flogging was seldom used in the 95th, the unit held regular shooting and sporting competitions, and men were rewarded for their achievements. Officers would regularly dine with their men and so became familiar with each man in their companies, an unusual practice at the time. To aid speed and mobility, the Rifles used bugles to transmit commands rather than the drums used by Line infantry.

20582971671_154fa59aa0_z.jpg

At Waterloo, the 95th were placed in a very important position well in front of the rest of the army to defend a large sand pit adjacent La Haye Sainte farm. This allowed them to pick off French officers who were on the attack, and also to support the King’s German Legion in La Haye Sainte, who also used the Baker Rifle. They were driven from the sand pit and retook it back from the Napoleon’s forces multiple times, fought very bravely, and unfortunately took many casualties.

The 95th were featured in the historical fiction Sharpe novels by Bernard Cornwell and the TV series starring Sean Bean.

20388431210_0f90f4789b_z.jpg

Hope you like it; comments welcome! Watch in three weeks or so for JBIronworks' post of the full battle scene collaboration. Also, if interested you can see

Oncemore congratulations to this epic scene ...

(maybe that's interesting foryou: the plan you have mentioned in the interview at brickfair was the initial input for my render series of the La Haye Sainte defenders:

Edited by woody64

Great work Gary. The scene is most impressive. Do you have a very large basement to store everything?

Oncemore congratulations to this epic scene ...

(maybe that's interesting foryou: the plan you have mentioned in the interview at brickfair was the initial input for my render series of the La Haye Sainte defenders:

Thanks Woody, and those look great. I wish LEGO would do more Napoleonic Era type of minifigs.

Just when you think you've seen it all, along comes Gary and procrastinates again.

E-P-I-C!

Thanks KB! It's all the other things i life that I procrastinate while the LEGO get's the attention...

Great work Gary. The scene is most impressive. Do you have a very large basement to store everything?

Thank you Phred. Yes we do, with lots of storage space fortunately.