HUGO CABRET

26860634935_046fca57e0_k.jpgHugo Cabret by Cristiano Grassi, su Flickr

This i my small tribute to a great movie, Hugo Cabret, by Martin Scorsese. The movie is based on Brian Selznick's graphic novel "The Invention Of Hugo Cabret".

26793220321_67c7af57aa_k.jpgHugo Cabret by Cristiano Grassi, su Flickr

It’s about a boy who lives alone in the Gare Montparnasse railway station in Paris in the 1930s. His died father has left behind notebooks, including his plants to finish an automaton found in a museum. Hugo seems somewhat a genius with gears, screws, springs and levers, and the mechanical man is himself a steampunk masterwork of shining steel and brass.

26767182822_4e3ef417d6_k.jpgHugo Cabret by Cristiano Grassi, su Flickr

During the story Hugo meets many people including a girl named Isabelle with which he will share his secrets, and her uncle Georges. This old man is none other then the immortal french film pioneer Georges Melies, who was also the original inventor of the automaton.

26256466173_e476b3dee0_k.jpgHugo Cabret by Cristiano Grassi, su Flickr

This is also a tribute to the great cinema and its first pioneers. It will be a nice idea include a tile with a graphic that represent Georges Melies most famous short film "A Trip To The Moon" (1902) with the ship that pokes the man in the moon in the eye.

26793203141_7d11927bb4_k.jpgHugo Cabret by Cristiano Grassi, su Flickr

If you have never watched this movie I strongly suggest to take the time and watch it. It doesn’t represent only the story of a boy, but mostly it is an analogy about the sense of life, putting the emphasis on how much each person contribution is important in the world.

Hugo during the movies states: “I like to think that the world is a whole big unique equipment. You know equipment are made with the exact number pieces they need, consequently I come to the conclusion that if the world is a unique equipment, I personally have a reason to be here and the same is for you!”

26860682085_691a39b688_k.jpgHugo Cabret by Cristiano Grassi, su Flickr

In reference to my creation, I have tried to incorporate as many details and references to the movie as possible. You can find Hugo Cabret, Isabelle, Georges Melies with his camera, the automaton, the mechanic mouse, many mechanisms, the clock, the heart shape keys.

All the mechanisms on the left work as the same as the one in the central column, some with a continuous movement other with an alternate movement in order to simulate the goes by of the time.

26827407056_245f3507d8_b.jpgHugo Cabret by Cristiano Grassi, su Flickr

Because I am not an expert of LEGO Technic I was not able to make the mechanisms of the clock to work, so they are there only for a visual purpose. In the event that this project would be made I am sure that LEGO designers would find a way to make it work. I am here to ask to vote for my idea, a new project based on a wonderful movie with a deep message and please forgive my skills about making mechanisms work!

26860688895_59643f9ffd_k.jpgHugo Cabret by Cristiano Grassi, su Flickr

This project could become an official LEGO set if it gathers 10000 votes. Voting is easy, free and without any obligation, You just have to click on the blue button "Support" (to vote) and "Follow" (to be updated). If You don't have an account on LEGO Ideas, You must register, You will receive an email to activate your account and then You can already vote.

26793653831_993e8c39be_k.jpgHugo Cabret by Cristiano Grassi, su Flickr

If You liked my Hugo Cabret project, please consider sharing it on your blog, website, forum, Facebook or Twitter, and invite your friends to check it out and vote. Social networks are very effective in promoting a project and every vote is needed to make it real.

Thank You so much for visiting this project and for the time You will spend for sharing it.

I hope that you enjoy this project and if you would like to can check out my other projects, I would like to know your feedback on them. You can find them in my LEGO Ideas profile.

You can Support this project here https://ideas.lego.com/projects/140663

Find me and other pictures on Facebook https://www.facebook...61136923948485/

and on Flickr https://www.flickr.c...s/vedosololego/

Thank You so much for the collaboration.

I am not familiar with the source material, but you did a great job of guiding me through. The glasswork looks fantastic and all those gears give it a great mechanic/steampunk atmosphere! Good luck with your project and keep up the good work! :classic::thumbup:

Very nice moc, you really get a sense of the feel/atmosphere. In case anyone else was confused the movie in north america was titled "Hugo".

I still haven't watched the film, but the novel has always had a special place in my heart and I think you've captured the look pretty well - now if only it was in stark greytone like the original illustrations!

Thank You to all ones for the great comments. The project just reach 400 supporters, but now it runs very slowly. It's time to share with Your friends and tell them to Support it if You like. Thank You so much.

I vaguely remember this movie (book?), but it is heartwarming, and I like that your flashy droid is the little clockwork puppet!

Thanks to Ideas Staff Pics the project is jumped to 678 supporters and 296 days left. Now the next milestone is at 1000 supporters. Can someone help this project? It's not impossibile. I've added an homemade video of the working mechanism in the Updates on Ideas, take a look at it. Thanks

Hugo during the movies states: “I like to think that the world is a whole big unique equipment. You know equipment are made with the exact number pieces they need, consequently I come to the conclusion that if the world is a unique equipment, I personally have a reason to be here and the same is for you!”

That line always bugged me. As a fan of Lego, I know that pretty much every set comes with a small handful of extra pieces. How do you know you're not one of the extra 1x1 plates, Hugo?