Naturally I had to go out and buy the latest Technic Supercar the moment I heard some stores had it, and I put it together the same night. I tried to remember to take pictures as I went along, but I was pretty excited. So without further ado, here is my review of the Supercar II. Note that I am using lo res photos here, but you can get high res versions on my Brickshelf account (once moderated).

8070-1.jpg

(image from Brickset)

Vital Statistics

Set #: 8070

Set Name: Supercar

Year Released: 2011

# of parts: 1281

Size: Big

Price Paid: $120 USD

Let's start with some pictures of the box. As usual, this box is much larger than necessary, being no more than 25-30% full by volume. The box is of the recent "destroy it to open it" variety. I try to destroy mine as lightly as possible by cutting the rear flap with a razor blade. The front of the box shows the main model and then the functions within the orange Power Functions band on the right. The back of the box shows the alternate hot rod model. There is no parts list on the outside of the box.

As a matter of interest, there are no pictures of the back of the car on either the box or in any of the marketing materials. It turns out there is a reason for this.

dsc_3187small.jpgdsc_3188small.jpg

Inside the box are about a dozen poly bags, instructions, and a sticker sheet. This is the first set I have purchased which uses the new method of putting cardboard in with the instructions. I appreciated this very much since it resulted in pristine instructions. The instructions are divided into 3 books for the primary model only. As with most current instructions, they are broken down into truly tiny steps, some with only a couple of friction pins to install. The model could easily have been put into one book. The instructions for the alternate model are also 3 volumes but must be downloaded.

dsc_3188small.jpg

dsc_3189small.jpg

Now we'll look at the parts. The first picture shows all of them laid out on the table, partially sorted. The Power Functions parts consist only of an M motor and a battery box. The second image shows the large number of newer red panels. There are 6 large wide panels, 10 medium wide panels, and 2 medium narrow panels. The next image shows the liftarms, of which there are many. Most are either black or red. The parts for the seats and dash are dark gray. The frame is light gray. This would have been a nice time to start making this part in black, but no such luck.

dsc_3190small.jpgdsc_3191small.jpgdsc_3192small.jpg

Now let's see the special parts. The first image shows the collection of gears. Not as many as 8043, but quite a respectable quantity (note that I inadvertently left the 12 tooth bevel gears out of the picture). The 16 tooth spur gears are the new reinforced variety. The next image shows the expensive parts. There are 8 control arms (new narrower size), 4 of the wheel hubs, a differential, two transmission driving rings, 4 stiff shock absorbers, 6 steering links, 4 CV joints (dogbones), and 2 of the new CV sockets (the only new parts in the set).

dsc_3194small.jpgdsc_3193small.jpg

Time to start building. The first image shows the beginning of the transmission, the heart of the car. The two parallel axles will be driven at the same rate by the motor, and the clutch gears will be used when engaged to drive the four motorized functions. Two non-motorized functions (engine and steering) will also pass through the same area, making this section very dense. The next two images shows the transmission installed in the beginnings of the chassis. The view from above shows the white clutch gear which protects the motor from stalling. It is driven directly by an 8 tooth pinion on the M motor. The long axle sticking out the front will go to the V-8 engine from the rear wheels. The last image shows a view from below. The gears you see are one level under the transmission.

dsc_3195small.jpgdsc_3196small.jpgdsc_3197small.jpg

This next image shows the rear axle and suspension assembly. It features independent suspension and a differential gear. The CV joint "dogbone" system is used here which allows the pivot points of the drive axle to be in the same plane as the suspension pivots, as it should be. This arrangement is exactly like the R/C cars and trucks that I build use The axle stub coming out the front will go to the engine. The following image shows the suspension assembly in the chassis along with the completed gearbox.

dsc_3198small.jpgdsc_3199small.jpg

This next image shows the rear spoiler, the first mechanical function to be completed. A crank further forward uses a link to pull the spoiler which is on a 4 bar linkage. The next image shows the seats. There are a couple of things to notice here. The first is that the seats are truncated because the gearbox interferes with the inboard edges. The next is that the gearbox is not centered in the chassis; it is off by one stud. This means the attachments to the seats are not symmetric.

dsc_3199small.jpg

dsc_3201small.jpgdsc_3202small.jpg

Here is the front suspension assembly, also independent. The shocks and steering rack are not completed at this point. The next image is a closeup of the completed front of the gearbox. Many mechanical functions are visible here.

dsc_3203small.jpgdsc_3204small.jpg

Even though LEGO instructions never put on the wheels until the end, I can't resist putting the rolling stock on a completed chassis, shown in the first image. Everything is functional at this point except that the doors and hood are not attached. The engine and steering work, as does the spoiler and the mechanisms for the doors and hood. The next image shows the body coming together. There are a lot of complex angles happening here, and most of them are NOT accomplished with angle connectors but rather pinned liftarms.

dsc_3205small.jpgdsc_3206small.jpg

The model is now complete. This animation shows what a big difference in appearance there is with and without the panels installed. Note that there are no stickers applied at this point. I did apply them later, but I did not find that they added much since they are mostly solid red.

panels.gif

OK, let's see the finished product. This is a VERY good looking car. The panels and flexible axles do an excellent job of contouring the car. The headlights and grille are a great touch. As I've said before, the styling of this car with it's enormous hood make it look like a Dodge Viper to me, though it should be a V-10 then.

dsc_3210small.jpgdsc_3211small.jpg

Here are a top and bottom view. The myriad of functions is easy to see from the bottom.

dsc_3212small.jpgdsc_3214small.jpg

Let's take a closer look at the functions. The battery box and M motor power 4 functions through the central gearbox. The rear spoiler "hides" under the rear deck. As it deploys, it pushes the deck out of the way. The deck swivels on pins at the roof posts. It is an odd spoiler indeed being open in the middle and far too large in scale for the car. I think it has more in common with the air brake on the Veyron and McLaren than with a real spoiler. My guess is that they just needed something to use that 4th function for! The doors are scissors style. The pivot axle is at an angle to chassis, so they pivot not only upward but outward. This is accomplished through a 9L link on either side connected to ball joints. The hood pivots at the front to open. When down, it presses against the top of the engine. All 4 of these functions use worm gears which means not only are they geared down significantly, but they stay in place wherever positioned.

Besides the motorized functions, this model also has everything else you'd expect a supercar to have including 4 wheel double wishbone independent suspension, V-8 engine, differential, and steering. The HoG steering is at the back by the rear window instead of on the roof.

dsc_3261small.jpg

I'm sure one of the questions everyone is asking is, "How does this hold up next to the supercars of the past?" The images below show them all together. The first 2 "auto chassis" on the left were primitive by modern standards, without even a body and without full suspension. Starting with the 8865 "Test Car", that changed. Most would consider either the 8880 or the 8448 the pinnacle of Technic cars, so how does the new one compare? Very well indeed. It has everything you'd expect from the two older models including 4 wheel suspension, steering, and an engine. The 8880 had 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steering, but that was more of a novelty than it was realistic. The big difference is in the switch from a transmission shifting gear ratios to a transmission shifting functions. Although the newer set may be less realistic in that regard, it is actually much more complicated. The older models took a single input (wheels) and converted to a single output (engine) at either 4 (8880) or 6 (8448) ratios. 8070 converts a single input (motor) to 4 outputs and must therefore contain the entire gear system required to distribute these functions to their remote locations. I think this was an excellent compromise of playability with realism. I can't really think of anything this car should have had that they skipped.

dsc_3257small.jpgdsc_3258small.jpg

Visually, this car has more in common with the Ferrari Racers models than it does with the older Supercars.

dsc_3259small.jpgdsc_3260small.jpg

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

So what's the verdict?

Good

This is a great looking model with every function you could reasonably ask for. Here are some of the smaller details I really like:

• The CV joints. Visually, there is no reason these are needed at all. Mechanically, universal joints work perfectly well. But LEGO went the extra mile and developed a part many have been asking for which bumps up the realism of the driveline to a new level.
  • The angles. Look closely at the car. Look how the doors are inset from the wheel arches which flare out at the front and back. Look how the doors taper up to the rear wheels. Look at the front bumper and the hood. After the chassis is done, there are very few right angles in this model, and that makes it realistic to look at and fun to build.
  • The black stripe along the bottom. It didn't need to have one, but it does. I love it.
  • The stickers. They are subtle and not too distracting.

Bad

I must preface this section by saying that these are minor gripes. There is nothing wrong with this model, but these are things I might have done differently or trivial improvements which could be made.

• The lack of pole reverser. There REALLY needs to be a pole reverser. It is a royal pain to use the battery box switch to change motor direction because it never wants to stop in the middle. This is my only significant complaint. Easily remedied.
  • The Power Functions: It didn't really need them. I would have preferred that the functions were operated via a manual crank resulting in a cheaper model, with the PF being an optional add-on. Compare this to models with linear actuators which really all should have a motor. This is an AFOL opinion though. I'm sure the target demographic will love the motor.
  • The black stripe along the bottom. That's right, it was also in the good section. My only complaint here is that the stripe reaches all along the bottom of the car, but then mysteriously disappears at the corner of the front bumper, then reappears at the front of the bumper. The 1x3 liftarm at the corner should be black. Easily remedied.
  • The stickers. Also a carry over from the good section. Some people hate stickers, and I don't think these were really needed, though they are well done.

Ugly

• The back end. That battery box is an eyesore. I wish it had been hidden somehow, but I'm sure this was a cost trade-off. It needed to be accessible to avoid needing a pole reverser.

dsc_3262small.jpg

There's no doubt that I have to recommend this model. It easily holds its own amongst the older cars, losing out only because it does not yet trigger any nostalgia. At the USA price, it is a great deal even for parts. Buy it.

One last thing I wanted to mention is that I firmly believe that this model exists due to comments at this (and other) forums from AFOLs. We've been saying for years that it has been too long since the last Supercar, and we've opined at length concerning what we'd like to see in a new one. I think this model is for us. Thank you LEGO, for listening. You got it right. (Should have been blue though.)

Great review. This set is very good, maybe even the best looking Technic car ever. I just love the panels to give it a realistic look. IMO, this car looks most like a Lexus LFA.

I wish I could get this set, but it's out of my price range, and I don't have space. How big is it BTW? I haven't had any hands on experience with these big Technic cars before, so I wouldn't know.

How big is it BTW? I haven't had any hands on experience with these big Technic cars before, so I wouldn't know.

I could use numbers and tell you that it is 19 inches (48 cm) long, but since a picture is worth a thousand words, why not compare it using a scale you are familiar with?

dsc_3280.jpg

Edited by Blakbird

Thanks for the excellent review. I would love to get this car and the unimog. Space is kind of tight at my place. How does it compare the 8258 crane truck in size?

Great review. Makes me want it this much more, one for display and one for parts....

Btw, how does it stand up against Crowkillers' Lambos? Mind you take some pics with them together?

nice review.

I would actually really like to get this when I have enough money (probably near Christmas unfortunately, but I have something to look forward to :-) )

it will go nicely beside my Ferraris. lots of red pieces which is good. I have a lot of red pieces because of my Ferraris, and the crane truck that will hopefully arrive this week. personally I would have liked it in green if it was a different colour, but I'm not sure how well that would go with other people. :sceptic:

and at 1280 parts, that is a good addition. I currently (or will soon) have about 22,000 parts, almost all technic, plus a large number of Bionicles, which I will sell since I don't want them any more. this will get money to buy this hopefully. :classic:

Thanks Blakbird for writing the review.

The lack of pole reverser. There REALLY needs to be a pole reverser. It is a royal pain to use the battery box switch to change motor direction because it never wants to stop in the middle. This is my only significant complaint. Easily remedied.

This is my biggest letdown too.

(any ideas on where to put the pole reverser?)

(Should have been blue though.)

Well, did some recoloring....

So take your pick in different colors... :wacko:

dsc_3280.jpg

I build the model yesterday and had buckets of fun building it.

dsc06261_640x480.jpg

A few questions though:

What part is the front spoiler that got "lost in translation" from the preliminary model?

Did anyone els have the same amount of extra parts?

Edited by JunkstyleGio

In the partlist is stated 16x 3x5 Liftarm red, but the main model uses only 14. The other two will be used by the B-model :classic:

I agree 100% that the motor should have been an option, especially if no pole reverser was going to be used. I would much rather have a crank in the rear to open/close the functions and a prettier rear end. I am sure this can be remedied easily though. I am very pleased with the model overall.

Also JunkstyleGio, the part that "Got Lost" from the front spoiler appears to be this panel.

Edited by TechnicJuan

Another thanks for a nice review. Especially appreciated the pic w/ the Ferraris. I've got one that I picked up recently for cheap along with some other stuff. LOVE the size, but it just didn't do much for me since it didn't have much functionality. Definitely now going to sell that and get one of these (actually have the 8070 ordered, but it hasn't arrived yet. For some reason my local TRU don't have it in stock yet...)

I only noticed this set last week at toys-r-us for the buy one get one half off sale. It did jump out at me with a "whoa, that's new" and on inspection I did see the Supercar name. In short, I really was wanting to see a review, and I didn't have to wait long :wink:

Thanks for the review!

I picked up 2 of these on Saturday at Toys R Us(couldn't pass up on the buy one get 50% off deal) the kids and I spent all day yesterday building it and they love it! My only gripes with it is the odd interior work with irregular seats and the ugly battery box hanging out of the rear end. The car looks so beautiful from all angles until you get to the back view. I agree with you guys that it would have been nicer with the motor being optional. :thumbup:

Also, Blakbird, I notice that you have the wheels on the traditional way. Do you also prefer them that way? We thought that they looked better that way as well.

Hmm, I don't now if I'm going to buy this set. The only special things (for me) are the new parts and the technic plates (always useful :wink: ). But on the other side it looks great, but the price is (IMO) a little too high for this set.

Anyway, great review (as always), Blakbird :thumbup:

How does it compare the 8258 crane truck in size?

It is slightly shorter and significantly wider than the crane truck. Lower too, of course.

Btw, how does it stand up against Crowkillers' Lambos? Mind you take some pics with them together?

Quite different than Crowkiller's Gallardo in functionality. The Gallardo has all wheel drive and steering, but really no other mechanical functions so the supercar is much more complicated. The Murcielago adds suspension, so that gets closer.

So take your pick in different colors... :wacko:

I like the blue. Pink is right out.

I had the same extra parts and the same thoughts. I'm sure they are for the alternate model.

Also, Blakbird, I notice that you have the wheels on the traditional way. Do you also prefer them that way? We thought that they looked better that way as well.

I wondered when someone would notice that. I didn't notice until after my review was posted. The wheels are backwards because I put them on when I felt like it, not when the instructions called for them so I didn't see that they should be reversed. My minifigure scale picture has them on the other way. Both directions look good to me.

Edited by Blakbird

Great review! I can't wait to see the new differential. You are right about it being a great parts pack as well. Lots of good stuff in there. Nice looking model too.

Great review, I enjoyed reading it. I don't consider buying it though, I think it's too pricy for what you get. The new joints I will get via Lego Direct then.

Great review for a great set! This set has both good looks and good functionality. :thumbup:

Very well done on the review. :classic:

~buddy~

Actually this looks like a great set. The only thing it doesn't really deliver is an interesting parts pack. This is because of the choice for red as the body color. If it were any other color, that would have been a lot better and I would have reconsidered :) But the functionality seems great and the set looks pretty good (even though I usually don't like front-engine supercars).

Thanks for the extensive review and the pictures :)

Eric,

Thanks for another superb review. Your reviews are always unfailingly comprehensive and informative. I was a little iffy on this set, but after reading your review, and especially the comparison shots to the other supercars, I’m definitely buying this set. I agree with all your points, and would add the following to the list:

• The use of the new panels really improves the appearance of the car. In looking over the entire spectrum of supercars (including the Ferrari Racers models) the design has evolved to a more robust “filled out” look that improves the aesthetics dramatically.
  • I love the pinched-waist styling of this model. It adds a great deal of character and realism to the look of the car.
  • The price is very reasonable, considering that it is $10 cheaper than the 8448, released 12 years ago. The 8448 had no motorized functions either.

Dislikes:

• The speed of the opening and closing of the hood, doors, etc. seems too fast. It looks unrealistic compared to an automated function on a real car.
  • Wishing again it could be in some color other than red. It would be awesome if TLG would create a “color parts pack” to build it in a different color. The only good thing about keeping all the latter-day supercars red is it makes it easier to see the design evolution over the past 12 years.
  • I wish the wheels and seats were some color other than gray. Tan or white for the seats and metallic silver or gold for the wheels. The shape and styling looks great, but it would look even better with a more colorful palette.

Despite these points, I'm looking forward to adding this to my collection.

Edited by Tomahawker

Nice Review. Do we have the instructions for the second model already? When I buy it it would be the first I'd try :classic:

Edited by fff