Hi folks!!

I'm here to present my new MOC. It's a Airport Crash Tender, a specialized fire engine designed for use in aircraft rescue and firefighting at aerodromes. The scale is about 1:14.

17208770722_b784e79a5e_c.jpgLego Technic Airport Crash Tender by Lucio Switch, on Flickr

It was inspired by the Magirus Super Dragon X8, but I haven't created an exact copy of it (especially in the front).

It's 8 wheels drive, moved by 4XL Motors connected to the wheels via a driveline, it has a differential per axle.

The 1st and the 2nd are steering axles via 2 PF Servo motors (one for each axle), with

different turning radius.

The suspensions system consists in 4 live axles, with an anti-roll bar for each of them to avoid the lie down on one side (like the Unimog). I added another "arm" on the 3th and 4th axles for reduce side movements.

For reproduce the right wheelbases, I built this Moc with a unusual configuration. The 1st and the 4th axles are rotated. Practically the ball joints through which passes the drive shaft, for the 2nd and the 3rd axles, are directed to the center of the vehicle, on the contrary the ball joints of the 1st and the 4th are directed to the outside of it. In addition this configuration gives a positive caster angle to the 1st axle.

The Hydro-pneumatic system consists in a L pump without the spring that sends pressurized air to 2 "lungs" (one per side). Downstream of them there is a pneumatic valve (moved by a PF M Motor) that sends the air alternatively to the 2 water tanks (also these one per side for balancing). One tank is for the main water cannon an the other is for the bumper water cannon.

The MOC has an elevated extinguishing arm moved by 2 L motors. The nozzle can move up and down and can rotate via 2 PF M Motor. Even the bumper cannon could move up and down via 1 PF M Motor.

The lightening system consist in 2 PF Led in the front and 1 in the back for the headlights. The emergency lights consist in 10 PF Led connected to 2 PF switch (5+5). Those are actioned by a PF M Motor that give the flashing effects.

I used 5 non Lego parts. The 4 tanks (for air and for water) and an SBrick.

Other non technical features are:

- Openable sliding doors (manually) that allow access to detailed interiors of the cab. It has 4 seats, the areas around the driver's seat and the firefighting system controller's seat are detailed...using a bit of fantasy, especially for the firefighting area.

- The 2 hatches between the 2nd and the 3th axle can be open and give visibility about the water level.

- Also the complete side walls, placed above the hatches just mentioned, may be opened to access and refill the water tanks.

- Above the 3rd axle there are 2 hatches on the sides and 1 on the roof for access to the

battery packs.

- 5 openable grids are placed on the engine compartment in the back. 2 are on the sides, 2 in the back and one on the roof. Those grids give access to the detailed engines compartment. There are placed 2 6-inline engines (like in the Superdragon X8). Using a differential they run with the pneumatic pump and/or with the drive motors. More or less like done by Sheepo on his Peterbilt (I think). In addition there are exhausts pipes with silencers and turbochargers, air filters with some pipes and radiators on the top. Even here I used a bit of fantasy, it was hard to find specific informations.

- Hook ladder on the roof, extendable manually.

Technical description:

Length: 126 studs (100,8 cm)

Width: 27 studs (21,6 cm) (without mirrors)

Height: 37 studs (29,6 cm) (without antennas)

Weight: 7,8Kg dry, 8,3Kg with filled water tanks

PF Elements

4 XL Motors for driving.

2 Servo Motors for steering.

3 L Motors, 2 for elevate the extinguishing arm and 1 for the pump.

5 M Motors, 2 for rotate and for move up and down the nozzle on the elevated extinguishing arm, 1 for move up and down the nozzle on the bumper, 1 for the pneumatic valve and 1 for the emergency lights.

3 Switch, 1 for invert one Servo motor (in the steering system) and 2 for the emergency lights.

13 Led, 2 in the front 1 in the back 4 in the front emergency lights, 4 in the rear emergency lights and 2 on the front bumper.

2 Li-Po battery for drive and steering.

1 Battery pack for all the other functions.

5 IR receivers, 2 for drive and steering, 3 for move the water cannon and for control the pneumatic valve.

1 SBrick (not really a PF elements but...) for headlights, emergency lights and pump.

Several (I don't remember the number) extension cables. Something like 4 by 20cm and 4 by 50cm.

For more, and bigger pics take a look here:

https://www.flickr.c...57651656013979/

A video will be added soon...in 24h if I'm lucky.

I hope you enjoy!

17022693618_d6aa6c51b5_c.jpgLego Technic Airport Crash Tender by Lucio Switch, on Flickr

17208764452_54b34bfb6a_c.jpgLego Technic Airport Crash Tender by Lucio Switch, on Flickr

17022895490_45c3b83941_c.jpgLego Technic Airport Crash Tender by Lucio Switch, on Flickr

17209852341_550da748f9_c.jpgLego Technic Airport Crash Tender by Lucio Switch, on Flickr

17022686958_806ea05973_c.jpgLego Technic Airport Crash Tender by Lucio Switch, on Flickr

17208760552_792f71648c_c.jpgLego Technic Airport Crash Tender by Lucio Switch, on Flickr

17210431405_10e333ae25_c.jpgLego Technic Airport Crash Tender by Lucio Switch, on Flickr

16590228713_15ffacf44c_c.jpgLego Technic Airport Crash Tender by Lucio Switch, on Flickr

17022884710_663c994804_c.jpgLego Technic Airport Crash Tender by Lucio Switch, on Flickr

16587972674_d18a412d05_c.jpgLego Technic Airport Crash Tender by Lucio Switch, on Flickr

17209841601_0e72c424cd_c.jpgLego Technic Airport Crash Tender by Lucio Switch, on Flickr

I am speachles... This thing looks so massive and well designed! The sheer amount of parts, especially panels is breathtaking!

Give us a video please!

Woooow, this MOC left me speechless ! Love the details, the top light bar, the functions, the suspension ... Great job ! :thumbup:

That's just craaaaaazy!!! I like it more than your previous MOC, which was also unbelievable. Ovet 1m meter long!!?!?!?! *oh2* Spectacular design, your can water your garden with it :wink:

Looking forward to the video.

Simply Outstanding! Hall of Fame?

Reminds me of some posters at work. Is the original made by Iveco?

Great job, it's interesting to see the means of pressurizing water with pneumatics, how far can it propel a jet of water away from the vehicle ?

So many PF parts. I just make more MOCs with all my PF parts, maybe I should just make something that includes all of them. This is incredible.

Awesome build and great photos to show it off too. Looking forward to a video.

I am speachles... This thing looks so massive and well designed! The sheer amount of parts, especially panels is breathtaking!

Give us a video please!

Thanks!!

I just have to edit the last minute of the video...and then upload on youtube. I think I can finish to edit it this evening and, if everything goes right, tomorrow morning I will upload it.

At work it takes me 15 minutes to do the same thing that at home occupies me 6 hours.

That's just craaaaaazy!!! I like it more than your previous MOC, which was also unbelievable. Ovet 1m meter long!!?!?!?! *oh2* Spectacular design, your can water your garden with it :wink:

Looking forward to the video.

Thanks!!

Well, I haven't a garden, but I can refill with beer and try to hit my mouth when I'm on my couch!! :laugh:

Simply Outstanding! Hall of Fame?

Reminds me of some posters at work. Is the original made by Iveco?

Yes it is. Or better the company was named Iveco-Magirus, but with the reorganization of CNH now it's simply Magirus...or at least it's what I understand.

That's huge! (although that's kinda expected from you now :tongue: )

It looks great. I'm looking forward to the video. :classic::thumbup:

I'm wondering; doesn't it bend a lot under its own weight (especially with all watertanks filled)?

Great job, it's interesting to see the means of pressurizing water with pneumatics, how far can it propel a jet of water away from the vehicle ?

I haven't found a good way to display how it works in details. I've built in this way for two reason:

1- I wanted the water to pass in less possible components (such as valves), in facts it only flows in pipes.

2- The pneumatic valve discharge the pressure in air...so, if the water pass into it, the MOC would have seemed a dog doing his needs.

However the pressure is not very high (the pipes are connected in a standard way), so it can propel a jet of water about half a metre away.

cristo santo è spettacolare!

It's tremendous ... in a good way :classic: ! Complimenti Lucio!!!

Thanks guy!!

I would have liked to be able to expose it at the Expo in Pinerolo!! :cry_sad:

That's huge! (although that's kinda expected from you now :tongue: )

It looks great. I'm looking forward to the video. :classic::thumbup:

I'm wondering; doesn't it bend a lot under its own weight (especially with all watertanks filled)?

Thanks!!

It has the most rigid chassis that I ever built. The water tanks contain only 0.5 liters of water, so, filled or not, it doesn't make really a difference. However it bends just a little bit if 3/4 of it is cantilevered.

Edited by Lucio Switch