mephistopheles

[WIP] Woodward Avalonia

Excellent start, I'm looking forward to seeing it progress :classic:

I think Captain BeerBeard is referring to the technique

The water effect looks too strong for such a narrow water way.

Rapids?

looking good Meph, looking forward to seeing more :thumbup:

Rapids?

looking good Meph, looking forward to seeing more :thumbup:

Rapids? He should probably lower the water level.He could get more use out of the trans plates that way .

Edited by Captain BeerBeard

I don't own any trans plates. My original plan was to build the river like shown in DC's guide. However the trans plates needed for that come at a ridiculously high price combined with low availability in Europe. Importing from the USA would be also too expensive because of the increased shipping cost and customs.

So this is the alternative and I actually like it a lot. I have seen pretty many fast streams in south Germany, which is a very inspiring area for me. At least this technique adds the feeling of "movement" to it. There will be elevations in the scene so it will make sense that the stream will be fast flowing.

Thanks for your honest criticism anyway Captain BB, it is very welcome. Just in this case we have a different taste of things. I am sure to keep this technique for the stream.

Looking very cool, I think the 64 x 64 size is a great size for a MOC of this nature, and the start you have looks good. I keep thinking I'm going to start a 64x64 Castle/Keep for my sigfig.....but then a new challenge is announced and I get totally focused on that and the baseplates just sit there. I really need to get motivated...this just might motivate me!

I don't own any trans plates. My original plan was to build the river like shown in DC's guide. However the trans plates needed for that come at a ridiculously high price combined with low availability in Europe. Importing from the USA would be also too expensive because of the increased shipping cost and customs.

So this is the alternative and I actually like it a lot. I have seen pretty many fast streams in south Germany, which is a very inspiring area for me. At least this technique adds the feeling of "movement" to it. There will be elevations in the scene so it will make sense that the stream will be fast flowing.

I have to agree with you here. There are so many techniques to use but in the end we all have to make use of the pieces/budget we have available. In this case I think you did an excellent job!default_thumbup.gif

The hardest part of GoH IMO is taking into account the diversity of LEGO collections each member has. I have come to the conclusion that given a collection that DC has for example, most GoH builders would produce some equally awesome stuff. I'm actually experiencing the "limited LEGO collection" effect as I work on challenge 4. I really did not realize how limited my collection of blue was. And my entry is a water scene...default_cry4.gif

This looks promissing! :thumbup:

I myself like that water technic, because small streams often contain rapid water. Maybe you could add some elevation in the stream?!

This looks promissing! :thumbup:

I myself like that water technic, because small streams often contain rapid water. Maybe you could add some elevation in the stream?!

Will do so! :classic:

Thanks for your honest criticism anyway Captain BB, it is very welcome. Just in this case we have a different taste of things. I am sure to keep this technique for the stream.

Those are trans blue 1x1 round plates your using. You are misunderstanding me. I read through all the posts. I had no idea that there are very narrow rivers that go that fast through Germany! My question then is do they look like they're going to flood over the edge onto land?

Those are trans blue 1x1 round plates your using. You are misunderstanding me. I read through all the posts. I had no idea that there are very narrow rivers that go that fast through Germany! My question then is do they look like they're going to flood over the edge onto land?

Occasionally :sweet: (I am German too)

Does anyone have some real life photo's they would care to share?

This is a quite famous surfing spot in Munich. You might want to check out this video to get a feeling for the speed. And of course, the farther up you go, the faster down the streams and rivers flow. :classic:

Cheers, C*

This is a quite famous surfing spot in Munich. You might want to check out this video to get a feeling for the speed. And of course, the farther up you go, the faster down the streams and rivers flow. :classic:

Cheers, C*

OK well that is a great example, I come from Ahern in the Black forest so I have seen many fast narrow rivers,(narrower then our surfing example here) If I can find any without having to dive into my hard drive I'll post some Pics.

~Dangerous

although definetely a really cool spot, the eisbach is more of a channel than a real river. But wild rivers like that can be found all over Germany whereever you have mountains: like this one near my hometown

Great start! Looks really promising!

Regarding the stream, I´ve worked in many streams that are narrow and with fast running water. Every time the river runs in to areas where the ground is more solid the river runs more rapidly. The video link above is not the greatest example though, as the whole section of the river is built by man. Not so naturally in other words :classic:

Updated!

I'll be joining a Hungarian LEGO exhibition on October 5th-7th. For this event I want to finish this 2x3 baseplate build. I changed much of the original concept in order to hit the deadline. There will be a professional photographer at the scene, so stay tuned for some great pictures!

Here are two teaser pictures I took with my phone:

2012-09-15_10.43.12.jpg

2012-09-15_10.44.00.jpg

This is an excellent start! I would love to go to the convention, but I'm not sure if I have time for it. The only thing I would change is the shape of the river; because of its shape, it looks like a swimming pool with a lot of plants in it to me. :grin:

This is an excellent start! I would love to go to the convention, but I'm not sure if I have time for it. The only thing I would change is the shape of the river; because of its shape, it looks like a swimming pool with a lot of plants in it to me. :grin:

Haha!

It's not a river! This is supposed to be a lake :tongue: