Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest#2: Looking Through the Wares

~This topic is meant only for the players who have been chosen to participate into this quest. If you wish to join the game, head to the

Rules & Discussion topic to learn how to do so.~

heroicaquest2.jpg

The harbour of Eubric is not a place for the faint-hearted. Ships from every corner of the world dock there, honest traders as well as smugglers, slavers and pirates. Six figures make their way from the Heroica Hall to the warehouses of the Hinckwells, who are one of the two wealthiest and most powerful merchant families in the whole city. Those six are:

ava-alexis.jpgAlexis Fenral (Masked Builder)

Level 1 Ranger

Power: 4

Health: 6/6

Gold: 5

Inventory: Longbow (WP: 3), Smoke Bomb, Potion, Venom

6046036799_13ec297413_t_d.jpgAtramor Gibbin (played by CallMePieOrDie)

Level 1 Rogue

Health: 7/7

Gold: 0

Inventory: Sai-dagger (WP: 3), Venom, Potion, Shovel

eric_small.jpgEric (played by Khorne)

Level 1 Barbarian

Health: 8/8

Inventory: Godricsleif (WP: 3), Potion, Mead, Bedroll

6043175947_18b74f9140_t.jpgHybros (played by JimButcher)

Level 1 Rogue

Health: 7/7

Gold: 0

Inventory: Reaper Scythe (WP:3), Potion, Venom, Shovel

IMG_1583-1.jpgLord Lawrence Boomingham (played by Zepher)

Level 1 Knight

Health: 10/10

Inventory: Longsword (WP: 3), Shield (SP: 2), Potion

5909786980_7e1e6811fb_t.jpgRufindel Galadhras (played by Rufus)

Level 6 Cleric (Party Leader)

Power: 10

Health: 14/14

Ether: 10/10

Gold: 7

Inventory: Oaken Staff (WP:4), 2 Potions, Remedy, 2 Bones, Pickaxe, Tonic, Bedroll

The party was surprised when upon arriving to the Hinckwell warehouses, they found the doors bolted shut. Nobody would answer to knocking. Disappointed and frustrated, they almost turned to return back to the Heroica Hall when they heard someone whispering to them.

"Psst, over here! Quickly!"

A man in a black cape and a fancy feathered hat was waving at them from a shady alley nearby. The party went to him.

heroicaquest2-lorcan.jpg

"So, you're the ones I chose then? Did you make sure nobody followed you here?"

The heroes nodded, even though they had done no such thing. There was not a soul in the area around the Hinckwell warehouse save for them, in any case.

"Good, good. I am Lorcan, son of Heinrich Hinckwell, as you probably deduced by now. Now, you must listen carefully. I'm sending you to infiltrate the warehouse of no other than the Shadeaux family, who are our sword rivals in matters of trade. We highly suspect that they were behind the robbery of our cargo last week. After all, they are trying to get their share of the oriental perfume market as well, and that's exactly what was in our cargo. So, when you get into the Shadeaux warehouse, look for crates marked with a crown, my family's insignia. My men have been watching that warehouse since last week, and they have not seen such crates taken out of there, so they must still be there."

Lorcan Hinckwell adjusted the feather in his tricorn hat.

"Now, and this is of uttermost importance, if you get caught during this stealthy mission, do not under any circumstances reveal who sent you or what you were looking for. You will certainly not be rewarded if you do so, and furthermore none of you will ever be hired by our family ever again. I hope I am making myself as clear as possible. Now, do you have any further questions before I point you to the correct warehouse?"

Atramor nodded to the goatee'd Lorcan, and noticed how oversized his own hat was in comparison. Ah well.

"I myself don't have any questions. Does any else?" he asked in a low whisper to the others. McCafferey burrowed inside his hat for warmth, and to avoid detection.

'Atramor, your Roguely ways are wise, we must remain quiet,' Rufindel whispered.

He now addressed Lorcan, quietly. 'Sir, I assume the Shadeaux are likely to have booby-trapped their warehouse? Have any of your men suffered as a result?'

"I'm ready", said Hybros in a hoarse whisper. He turned to his companions. "In addition to improved reputation with the Hinckwells, I suspect that if we are detected, we'll have the reduced opinions of the Shadeaux. I assume that's okay with all of you?".

Boomingham tired to whisper. What was produced was about a number man's voice level. "No questions here. Would it be inappropriate to wear masks so that the Shadeux's wouldn't recognize us? Just in case we ever want to work for..." he trailed off, remembering the present company. "Is there a complimentary meal before hand?"

He then turned to Rufindel. "Glad to see you sir. Lord Boomingham. I was hoping to get saddled with you, I believe that you are the only other person here who could have fought against the Orcs."

He now addressed Lorcan, quietly.[/i] 'Sir, I assume the Shadeaux are likely to have booby-trapped their warehouse? Have any of your men suffered as a result?'

The nobleman lets out a guffaw.

"Oh, you should expect traps at every corner! Those sniveling thieves at Shadeaux are known to resort to any means necessary to enhance their profits. Now, if all questions are exhausted, I'll point you to the Shadeaux Warehouse."

Lorcan told the heroes the directions, and soon enough, the party was standing in front of an imposing black-walled building by the pier.

heroicaquest2-shadeauxwarehouse.jpg

There was no-one in sight. The party made their way to the door, only to find it locked.

What will the party do next?

We could try to break the lock, but maybe that would cause too much noise. We could also trying climbing up to the roof and finding a way in there.

Perhaps we should also consider our turn order and battle positions, in case some monsters sneak up on us and we have to do battle unexpectedly. Personally, I think that Rufindel, as the team Cleric, should go first in case anyone needs healing. Then perhaps Boomingham, then Eric? Us two Rogues could go next, and Alexis could finish up.

As for formation, I was thinking three in front and three in back. Eric, Boomingham, and a Rogue in front, and the rest in back. By having one Rogue up front and one in back, we take less damage and that increases our chances of surviving a battle.

No. I should go first, then Eric, then the Elf. If there are surviving opponents, which, with my weapons and skill there shouldn't be, they attack down the order of combat list. Assuming that there are only two left, I'd much rather have them attack myself and Eric rather than the Cleric. He could heal us, and we can take the damage.

As for entrance, you, little man... whatever you are, I'm afraid I never ran into you all those years ago, and now that I'm back I haven't left my castle's ruins except to just now go to Heroica Hall so I have no clear idea what species you are... anyway, point is, you are a Rouge, no? You're meant to be sneaky, right? How's about you go and earn your stripes boy! :laugh: Lock picking, not breaking, ought to be what you're suggesting, or maybe you can find an entrance that you can get into and open the whole sha-bang from the inside.

Hehe... it seems in my haste I had forgotten that we choose when it's our turn, and not all before the entire turn starts. My apologies, mister.

I could try to pick the lock, but wouldn't the Shadueax monsters be waiting at the front door for us? In any case I'll give it a shot if the others think it is a good plan.

Hehe... it seems in my haste I had forgotten that we choose when it's our turn, and not all before the entire turn starts. My apologies, mister.

I could try to pick the lock, but wouldn't the Shadueax monsters be waiting at the front door for us? In any case I'll give it a shot if the others think it is a good plan.

I think it's the best thing to do if we want to sneak in the compound unnoticed. The Questgiver specifically ordered us to bring some Rogues to get us sneaking in. So, I also think one of you Rogues should pick the lock.

And if that doesn't work, maybe we could look for some open window we could climb through?

Encouraged by the others, Hybros takes a shot at picking the lock. After inspecting the lock, he sees that it contains both a keyhole and a combination lock. Hybros is certain he can unlock the keyhole, but the combination needs to be solved as well in order for the lock to open.

The combination lock has three reels with all letters in the alphabet. Which combination will the party try?

There are so much combinations to try here, the possibilities are near limitless! Could we look around for a clue, maybe?

If not, here are some suggestions:

G-O-S : Guild Of Shadeaux

S-S-S : Sneaky. Shadowy. Shadeaux

H-A-B : Hinckwells Are Bastards

Do you think the three letters should make a word or something :wacko: ?

*EDIT* After inspecting the building once more, I noticed the bat insignia. Maybe B-A-T could be another, more likely, possibility?

BEFORE we try to pick the lock and go inside, how about we have a good look around the outside first?

I would like to see what is written on the blackboard to the left of the door, and would suggest we have a look inside the barrels on the waterfront, the bucket, and the chest. Whilst being very careful for traps and triggers.

I would like to see what is written on the blackboard to the left of the door, and would suggest we have a look inside the barrels on the waterfront, the bucket, and the chest. Whilst being very careful for traps and triggers.

The wall to the left of the door has a rough sketch of a roguish person and the word "WANTED" written above it. The barrels contain murky water, the bucket is empty save for some left over fish scales, and the chest contains a mooring rope. There is nothing useful in front of the warehouse.

Mkay, well it was a thought. I suppose we should indeed concentrate on getting through the door, then.

We should think carefully before trying any old combination - the lock may be booby-trapped if the wrong combination is entered. So far, Eric's suggestion of B-A-T is the best; does anyone have any other ideas?

A further thought: Another possibility is T-E-N - the chalk markings on the board on the right of the door add up to ten, I think. I'll take a closer look at that board, too...

I'll take a closer look at that board, too...

There is nothing more to see on that wall either.

Hmmm, if I had to chose, I'd go with B-A-T. It just seems more likely than T-E-N, then again, seeing as it's the Shadeaux we're dealing with, maybe they'd purposely pick the most unlikely combination. Do any of the others have any suggestions for a possible combination?

"I say we try B-A-T," whispers Alexis who had been rather quiet up to this point.

"I can't think of any other possible combination's. T-E-N seems pretty unlikely."

I agree, BAT is more likely. Let's just wait a little for the others' opinions (quietly voiced, of course :grin: )

"Darn, I could've picked that lock," mutters Atramor. "Yeah, I guess B-A-T couldn't hurt."

The chicken in his hat gives a twitch.

Ok, shall we give B-A-T a try? Atramor or Hybros, make us proud! Just be careful, in case it's booby-trapped :wink:

I'm okay with that. Fingers crossed!

Hybros carefully rolls the reels until they spell B-A-T, and then picks the keyhole. A satisfying click is heard, and the lock opens.

Quietly, the party opens the door, and step into the dimly lit warehouse. But before they can advance another step, they spot a watchdog sleeping on the floor in front of the doors.

heroicaquest2-guardhound.jpg

The hound is chained to the wall, and there's a well-gnawed bone lying next to it.

What will the party do now?

Atramor, spotting the bone, silently tiptoes over (avoiding those pressure plate-looking black tiles), lifts it up, making sure it's not tied to the ground or something to a trap, and tucks it in his bag.

"Could be useful," he whispers to the others. "I know that one dark-looking barrel doesn't have the crown on it, but it sticks out, and looks pretty interesting. Think we should check it out?"

Edited by CallMePieOrDie

Perhaps our Ranger, Alexis could try her special power (animal friend) to talk to the dog? Maybe the dog knows if there are any special crates here. I'd like to check out the crates, as well, but first we need to deal with the dog. What if it suddenly starts barking? I'd be more than willing to kill it, but that would leave traces :sceptic: .

*EDIT* If the dog decides to act against us, I could choke it with its chain. You know, make it seem like an accident.