Captain BeerBeard

Review: LotR 9469 Gandalf Arrives

SET REVIEW 9469 Gandalf Arrives

I'm not going to give to much of my opinion here. I know all you LotR fan's will string me up! lol Sorry about the bad pic's. It's sundown as I was doing this.

BOX IMAGES

7202105088_e90154737d.jpg

Box by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

7202100392_1e2b41dfb7.jpg

Box by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

BOX CONTENTS

lotr_003.1.jpg

BAG CONTENTS

Bag One minus the horse

7202108766_978fb5952a.jpg

Bag one by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

Bag Two

7202110650_725eeafbab.jpg

Bag two by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

PICTURES OF BUILDING

7202112658_a31fc77527.jpg

Build by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

7202114044_7791d0c18b.jpg

Build by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

THE FINISHED BUILD

lotr_008.1.jpg

THE REASON TO BUY THIS

Gandalf

lotr_010.1.jpg

Gandalf has a new beard. The cloth for the cape feel's a bit different. It's a lot softer.

Gandalf with no beard

7202014302_1dc9ca0f02.jpg

Gandalf without beard by captain BeerBeard, on Flickr

Frodo

lotr_011.1.jpg

lotr_012.1.jpg

Frodo is a nice figure. I have nothing to complain about here.

NEW HORSE

The new horse is cool but it's head is really small. The tail detail is awesome!

lotr_013.1.jpg

Here are some pics with the traditional barding. I know I wondered how this would look.

lotr_016.1.jpg

lotr_017.1.jpg

I will post better pic's when I get more time. I do requests, so if you want something specific photo'ed or any questions are welcome.

PRICE 12.99us 16.99us at TRU That's where I got it)5/10 at 12.99. 1/10 at 16.99

PLAYABILITY A horse and cart sure are fun! 6/10

PIECES & MINIFIGURES The horse and figures are AWESOME! The rest of it is not that cool. It's only 83 piece's. 8/10 only becasuse of the figures.

BUILD there isn't much to the build. The whole build only lasted about two minutes. The cart isn't that bad but it's not that good either. 5/10

FINAL SCORE 24/40

Edited by Captain BeerBeard

I will post better pic's when I get more time. I do requests, so if you want something specific photo'ed or any questions are welcome.

So... is it possible to have the horse stand on the rear legs with a barding on, and how bad does it look if it's possible?

So... is it possible to have the horse stand on the rear legs with a barding on, and how bad does it look if it's possible?

No. It is not possible. You also have to move the horse's head down to put the barding on.

Looks like I'm heading to TRU tomorrow (with fingers crossed).

Thanks for showing us your find! :thumbup:

Nice and quick review, 'Captain BeerBeard'! :thumbup:

I like the tests you did with the new horse. I can't wait 'til the LOTR sets hit Florida. :sweet:

Nice review! These are the most amazing figs I've ever seen. Frodo's face is fantastic! Great job!

Thanks for the early review Captain Beerbeard! Its a nice little set both Gandalf and Frodo look good and the horse is a vast improvement over the old one. For the price, I thinks its a good little set. I will certainly pick this one up when it arrives on UK shores.

Thanks for the review, Captain Beerbeard! Looks like a nice little set, I hope these will turn up soon in Germany.

This will be my first buy from the LotR wave. I like the Gandalf minifigure, and the carriage has enough interesting parts to make it seem like a compliment to the set. The new horse is great, too. Loving these sets. :thumbup:

Thanks for the review.

This will be a great little set to get. I think the price is perfect for what you get. After all, it is licensed.

The figures look amazing. I am not disappointed at all regarding either one. I'm glad they can still use the old bardings on the new horse. I will have to wait and see a new/old horse side by side in my hands before I determine which one I like better. I do like the hooves on the new one though.

The wagon is neat enough, but I am mostly buying these sets for the figures and the pieces are just icing. The Hobbit torsos are amazing! I can't wait to use those.

Thanks 'Captain Beerbeard', nice little review....now I was wondering how the sides of the cart go together....SNOT...good one Lego ! :thumbup:

Another theme I must twist money out of my wallet for...even if it's just for this set, just for Gandalf alone ! :wink:

Though I feel this theme will do better with AFOL's than young children, but you never know with kids these days. :laugh:

Where in America do you reside? I was just at mine here in California, and they had just about everything but LotR.

The figs and horse look pretty darn good.

Thanks for the review. I just got this set tonight and have been sitting here playing with it. I'm actually kind of impressed with Gandalf's little cart. There is much m ore to it, and a much more involved build than a typical Castle / Kingdoms /etc small horse cart. It's by no means a major piece. But it is a pleasant little surprise when you put it together.

I'm still undecided on the new horses. Yeah they can rear up. But then you end up spending a minute on a hard surface getting their front and rears aligned again so they stand straight. It's a cool feature, but one I could have lived without.

It's just a cute little set. A nice break from the onslaught of orcs vs hobbits/elves/wizard/dwarves/themselves/etc that is all the other sets. Just a nice simple scene before all of the swords get pulled out.

I think it's fairly well-priced. Nice, short review, Cap'n!

Nice review. Can't wait to get this set once it's out in Holland.

Box images coming soon!

I have one request: When will you post the box images? I almost can't wait to see those.

It looks to be a nice entry level set. Gandalf and Frodo appear to be the reason to get this one. The cart appears to be nothing earth shattering. This will be on the purchase list more because my son will want it. I think it's comparable to other licensed low level sets.

LMW

I bought this set today at Fred Meyers and immediately started playing with the great new horse. I took a couple pictures of the horse rearing with the barding on for my own use and thought I may as well post them up here too. In my opinion, it looks great in the front and okay in the back. As you can see, the rear left leg does push the barding out and honestly has left a bit of a stress mark at the top (but I personally am not too particular). Hope this helps.

IMG_0975sm.jpg

IMG_0976sm.jpg

Where in America do you reside? I was just at mine here in California, and they had just about everything but LotR.

The figs and horse look pretty darn good.

Crown Point, Indiana. They made part of that Public Enemy movie over here. It's about five miles away from Scary Gary and thirty from Chicago. They had all the new stuff here. It seem's like the tru here get's everything before anywhere else. Same goes for Target over here.

I bought this set today at Fred Meyers and immediately started playing with the great new horse. I took a couple pictures of the horse rearing with the barding on for my own use and thought I may as well post them up here too. In my opinion, it looks great in the front and okay in the back. As you can see, the rear left leg does push the barding out and honestly has left a bit of a stress mark at the top (but I personally am not too particular). Hope this helps.

Thank you very much. This is very relevant. I might take ages until compatible bardings are released. I don't remember any bardings in LOTR... Not I thing some minor customization will make the old baring compatible if you don't want the horse all the way up.

thanks for the reveiw.

I would rush out and buy this set right now, if it wern't for middle earth not selling it till late june :angry:

the horse is great!

=Legonardo=