Hi

I'm trying to make a goosenecked trailer for a modified Arocs 6x4 cab, but have run into a bit of a problem. I want to have a detachable trailer, but building a fifth wheel in a life like manner puts too much strain on such as small piece. Is there a generally known method of constructing a strong coupling, that is also detachable? I did think about using the turntable in the Arocs set to act as a load bearer, with a frame on the trailer which would rest on the turntable, attached to the truck chassis, but it makes for a very high coupling height.

Any and all thoughts welcome.

2LegoOrNot2Lego uses a nice functional one on his models.

Edited by Dafgek81

HELLO:)

I have idea for fifth wheel but it is more Model Team than Technic. I also use it with my gooseneck trailer. That fifth wheel is based on simple idea: DROP THE AXLE IN THE HOLE. So if You want to disconnect You must lift Your gooseneck up.

Here is the link for LDD file:

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Thats what I originally envisioned, but the weight on the pin is too much. The gooseneck will have the Volvo loader on it, or similar

Its a really neat design though, and if i was going for total realism, then it'd be perfect.

Maybe you can chekout the Tracktor Truck from Lucio Switch. It is about the scale 1:10 but you can use that one as an example.

Is there a generally known method of constructing a strong coupling, that is also detachable?

Yes there is indeed! :wink: As suggested twice ('Dafgek81' and 'Leonardo da Bricki', thanks so much guys!!!) you might want to look into my stuff, that might be inspring...

To answer your question, please check my blog to see instructions for the fifth wheel as I use them for all my models: http://ingmarspijkho...to-make-it.html

Edited by 2LegoOrNot2Lego...

Thanks for the replies guys. All very useful for ideas.

2LegoOrNot2Lego, your fifth wheel idea is simple, and looks quite effective. Can it stand a 4kg load being pulled by the tractor unit? I figure the Volvo Loader comes in at 2.5kg, and I've got to allow 1.5kg at least for the trailer, when I've motorised the rear ramps and legs, maybe more.

2LegoOrNot2Lego, your fifth wheel idea is simple, and looks quite effective. Can it stand a 4kg load being pulled by the tractor unit? I figure the Volvo Loader comes in at 2.5kg, and I've got to allow 1.5kg at least for the trailer, when I've motorised the rear ramps and legs, maybe more.

Yes it is indeed simple and yet effective! :thumbup: The weight of 4kg is no problem at all! My lowboy trailer is 2kg + 2kg load and optional 0,7kg of jeep and booster...so you'll be just fine!!! :thumbup::classic:

Thanks for the replies guys. All very useful for ideas.

Volvo is just over 2kg, and 2LegoOrNot2Lego's detach trailer is right at 2kg and his fifth wheel works great with this load. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Well that was a bust.

Whilst the fifth wheel held, after a little mod, due to not having all the correct parts, the flex in the studless only trailer was too much. Couldn't seem to get both sets of wheels to make good contact with the ground, and a heck of a lot of strain was placed on the axle of the first set on the trailer. This was despite a 3 beam deep chassis, running both holes pointing to the sides, and holes pointing up/down, to try to reduce the flex. The trailer ended up also being a massive 2.5Kg in an effort to stop the flex.

Seems like i'm going to have to rethink what to do with my second Arocs. Ideas?