tiggerkiddo

Review: 7638 Tow Truck

INDEXED

Okay up for review is the new 2009 Tow Truck. As far as I know, no one has reviewed this so I decided to give it a shot. I wasn't actually expecting to find this but found plenty of Summer 2009 sets at my local Lego store in Lakewood, but decided to go with this as the Space Police sets that were there, weren't very appealing...yet.

Set Name- Tow Truck

Theme- City

Year of Release- 2009

Pieces- 129

Minifigs- 1

Price- 12.99 (USD)

DSCF1220.jpg

This is the shot of the front of the box, forgive the low quality, lol.

DSCF1219.jpg

The back of the box which makes this thing look bigger than it actually is, haha. Mainly shows its functions

DSCF1226.jpg

A shot of the instruction booklet.

DSCF1218.jpg

That silly sticker sheet, quite small though.

I forgot a customary shot of the sap driving this brightly colored truck so I'll try to add that in later, haha.

DSCF1221.jpg

This is part of the build for the truck. As you can see, it's a bit sturdy. It is also really colorful, I knew it would be orange but it stands out!

And for the final build...

DSCF1228.jpg

DSCF1227.jpg

DSCF1224.jpg

As you can see, it's not a huge truck at all but it's nice and sturdy. The orange bricks take a wee bit getting used to (Maybe it's because I don't own any) but it fits in well as a sturdy tow truck. The wench looks strong but don't bet the farm on it yet. I just didn't have any Lego cars put together to put it to the test...if it can haul the Magnet Core Magnetizer (Or whatever that huge M-tron vehicle I have is called) then we'll be good!

DSCF1225.jpg

The leftover pieces.

Opinion: Well it's a nice little tow truck. It's a bit bigger (Okay a lot) than the ones I've had in the past but it is what it is, a tow truck. I might have preferred a different color (Like red) but the orange is growing on me. I think the price is fair, I wouldn't have paid 20 for this set though.

Edited by TheBrickster

I think I remember seeing a review of this already somewhere...?? :tongue:

Anyway, I too have this little truck and I like the colour - the RAC use the same orange for their breakdown vehicles - but I don't like the blue lights so much. I have replaced mine with orange and yellow lights and have reused the blue ones in my police headquarters. I've also rebuilt the tow truck as a flat bed with a regular flat truck front instead of the sloping bonnet but that's a whole other story I guess!

Thanks for this review and the pictures didn't look low quality to me - But that might be because I am viewing them on my netbook rather than a proper screen! :hmpf_bad:

Cheers

Rog

How does the arm/crane part on the back work? It looks like they have that little clip piece bracing it or something...

DSCF1225.jpg

The leftover pieces.

I really don't think the 2 big white bricks should be left over?

I don't have them left over in my copy of the set. I think if you invert the model you will see you have forgotten to put them on the light bley wheel holders?

Paul

Thanks for the review, TiggerKiddo :wink:

About the set I must say that even if it's a nice addition to every town collection and the main design and the MF are correct there are two things that make of it a non-buy for me and should be improved in my opinion: first the too much pronounced bonnet (2x2 slopes would work better) and second that horrible orange everywhere (it's a nice colour, I know, but I think TLC could have combinated the white and the orange in a more equilibrated way)

Great review, I love this little tow truck. The only problem i find is that it's a bit limited on what it can actually tow. A lot of the newer cars with SNOT fronts don't have anywhere that's good for hooking onto. Ironically this includes the new sports car that comes with the emergency phone!

Laurie

How does the arm/crane part on the back work? It looks like they have that little clip piece bracing it or something...

The towing arm clips onto a 2x1 Technic brick with two holes. No pins involved. The clip acts as an adjstable brance to allow different angles of the arm with the weight of a vehicle on tow. The Technic axle you can see is the winding mechanism for the rope/hook.

Cheers

Rog

I think I remember seeing a review of this already somewhere...?? :tongue:

Doctor Sinister was one of the first to review it. :wink:

This set looks just fine, but it seems a bit small for $12 ($12 is the real price).

I have a 2006 Ambulance set which had cost $8, and it looks as large as this set. :sceptic:

This set still looks pretty good, but I won't be getting it.

The leftover pieces.

I really don't think the 2 big white bricks should be left over?

I don't have them left over in my copy of the set. I think if you invert the model you will see you have forgotten to put them on the light bley wheel holders?

Paul

You are right, haha. I missed that one part of the instructions. I probably would have never noticed it since the part didn't seem all that necessary, imo.

And this was already reviewed? Did I miss the review in my search??

No one in EuroBricks reviewed it yet; The link I gave was to the Tabletown Forums.

Congratulations on being the first on EB to review it! :laugh:

Edited by ILikePi

No one in EuroBricks reviewed it yet; the link I gave was to the Tabletown Forums.

Congratulations on being the first on EB to review it! :laugh:

While there is nothing wrong with multiple EB reviews of the same set (we have numerous), this set was reviewed HERE. You need only check the Comprehensive Town Review Index to see if a set has been reviewed. There is a link to it in the MAIN Trains & Town Index.