somelegothings_

Photography Subforum?

Hello, not sure where one requests something that could affect the entire forum. But I see that the photography threads are often buried under set discussion and MOC topics.

I have two pitches for this, perhaps we merge the photography threads with the Brickflicks and Comics section in the Special Interests forums. The section would probably need to be renamed to Brick Productions and Photography. The same moderators could survey these topics and there wouldn't be too much of a problem. Us photography users try not to bite.

Or we create a new sub-topic entirely. With a mod or two, or the Brickflicks moderators. Again, moderation shouldn't be that big of a deal.

The purpose? The purpose of the Photography front would be to discuss shots, cameras, have photography tips for eachother and possibly grow in that area. Sharing our skills together would be awesome!

Just a friendly nudge for a photographer badge too, that'd be really cool for us.

I wanted to see what the moderators and users of the forum would think of this, I personally think the merge would work best but it does seem to overshadow the whole "comics" bit of it. Either solution works for me.

Hello, not sure where one requests something that could affect the entire forum. But I see that the photography threads are often buried under set discussion and MOC topics.

I have two pitches for this, perhaps we merge the photography threads with the Brickflicks and Comics section in the Special Interests forums. The section would probably need to be renamed to Brick Productions and Photography. The same moderators could survey these topics and there wouldn't be too much of a problem. Us photography users try not to bite.

Or we create a new sub-topic entirely. With a mod or two, or the Brickflicks moderators. Again, moderation shouldn't be that big of a deal.

The purpose? The purpose of the Photography front would be to discuss shots, cameras, have photography tips for eachother and possibly grow in that area. Sharing our skills together would be awesome!

Just a friendly nudge for a photographer badge too, that'd be really cool for us.

I wanted to see what the moderators and users of the forum would think of this, I personally think the merge would work best but it does seem to overshadow the whole "comics" bit of it. Either solution works for me.

I think that a photography and post production thread pinned in the general discussion area would be enough for general photography questions. My fellow GoH member Gideon and I are thinking about writing a complete Lego photography tutorial, maybe that would be good way to start off the thread. As for discussion of cameras, for Lego photography, most cameras can do the job well no matter how old, including most recent smartphones (excluding those cheap compact cameras, with which you have no control over the camera settings.) Control of the settings is a key factor when choosing a camera for Lego. Megapixels do not matter once you get past about 5. Actually the more megapixels you have in a small sensor compact can degrade the image quality.

I think that a photography and post production thread pinned in the general discussion area would be enough for general photography questions. My fellow GoH member Gideon and I are thinking about writing a complete Lego photography tutorial, maybe that would be good way to start off the thread. As for discussion of cameras, for Lego photography, most cameras can do the job well no matter how old, including most recent smartphones (excluding those cheap compact cameras, with which you have no control over the camera settings.) Control of the settings is a key factor when choosing a camera for Lego. Megapixels do not matter once you get past about 5. Actually the more megapixels you have in a small sensor compact can degrade the image quality.

That's awesome! Look forward to seeing it. I'm always looking for ways to improve my work. That'd be a great guide for someone like me who's looking for a new camera!

That's awesome! Look forward to seeing it. I'm always looking for ways to improve my work. That'd be a great guide for someone like me who's looking for a new camera!

I don't think this is the right thread for a 'what camera should I buy discussion', feel free to send me a PM if you have any camera questions.

There are a few topics on photo/camera stuff in General Discussion subforum. You can find more using "search".

With as much LEGO related photography there is here, I think a dedicated sub forum is a great idea.

I think this is a good idea as a large part of moccing would be the photos. It is significant enough to have it's own sub forum. I think it would be nice to see all those photography guides and discussions in one place.

I more or less came out of a mini dark age because of photography, so I'd love there being a photography sub-forum.

Love the idea of this also. Just starting to get into photography (can't believe I've had my camera sat at home for about 8 years and hardly ever touched it!) so a dedicated sub forum would be brilliant to learn new tips etc.

I wanted to see what the moderators and users of the forum would think of this...

Your input is appreciated. We are currenlty discussing this topic. We'll get back to you shortly.

Since photography plays such a large part in the online LEGO community, I think a sub-forum devoted to it is a good idea :classic:

Since photography plays such a large part in the online LEGO community, I think a sub-forum devoted to it is a good idea :classic:

We do have the BF&C Academy that has some nice photography and editing tutorials as well as a place to request new tutorials. In essence, what you are asking for already exists.

We do have the BF&C Academy that has some nice photography and editing tutorials as well as a place to request new tutorials. In essence, what you are asking for already exists.

True, but according to the captions under the sub forum names, photography belongs in general discussion. I imagine that would be where most people start looking for tutorials. Not to mention the fact that the BF&C Academy hasn't had a new post since last year.

True, but according to the captions under the sub forum names, photography belongs in general discussion. I imagine that would be where most people start looking for tutorials. Not to mention the fact that the BF&C Academy hasn't had a new post since last year.

What captions are you talking about?

I would like a place dedicated to Lego photography as that is something I want to get into.

I would suggest fixing the captions and using the Brick-Flicks forum for it, because BrickCurve is right: as of now, that sub-forum has no indicator whatsoever that it would be the right place for it whereas photography threads would get buried in General where there is so much going on.

Cheers

TomKraut

I would like a place dedicated to Lego photography as that is something I want to get into.

I would suggest fixing the captions and using the Brick-Flicks forum for it, because BrickCurve is right: as of now, that sub-forum has no indicator whatsoever that it would be the right place for it whereas photography threads would get buried in General where there is so much going on.

Cheers

TomKraut

Yes, I think that is the best idea yet!

I had not thought about where to ask photography questions before, but I now have a couple of questions, so this is very good timing! I'm interested to see what happens.

I would like to have both a place to discuss MOC photography and general photo stuff related to LEGO (if it's only photography discussions there are other places for it).

It would be great if EB would embrace the growing trend of using lego minifigs and builds in really artistic photographs, like for example https://www.flickr.com/photos/avanaut is doing. So a dedicated LEGO photography subforum would be great :classic:

(It would of course also be the natural place for threads like "which camera should I buy?")

I agree. We have threads such as the Licsened Photography Thread, but those aren't really picture-specific. Maybe we could have an RA-type situation where you have to meet a certain criteria to get in, so we don't get a bunch of bad photos shoved in.

Thanks for all the input everyone! Really like JackJonespaw's idea of the RA-type setup. Though I think making it more public so anyone can improve their skills would greatly improve the quality of pictures we see for MOCs and such on the forums. (Though most veterans of building MOCs know that the picture makes most of the display.)

Short update to let you know we are working hard to come up with a plan for this request.