Sign in to follow this  
Skipper

Vanguard Fort

7474925128_2e81f8dfe0_c.jpg

Hi all! Haven't posted a MOC in a while as I've been too busy, now that its summer work has cooled off quite a bit though which is great! This is just an improved version of my original fort design, I've been wanting to update it for a while. Built this in the last couple hours and as it's really late now I won't really say much, anyways, here's a couple overall shots:

7476366146_44ef5796fd_c.jpg

7476366218_58fc9d44d5_c.jpg

7476365914_41c24ae75d_c.jpg

How it might look were you a minifig attacking it:

7476365880_f79f0646bc_c.jpg

Birds-eye view, showing off the geometry of the bastions and ravelins, which was the most major change from the last version as I thought of a way to capture them better, which I'm pretty proud of:

7476295150_2c4b3b6e73_c.jpg

Like V1 the fort is modular, with these four parts (actually there's another one that's just the door section without a door, but I didn't bother to screenshot it), so it's possible to make the fort much bigger than it is now--I built it this size, however, because if I ever get the chance to build it in real life (already very unlikely) then this is probably the maximum size I could do it in.

7476337980_a0bb9b805b_n.jpg7476338146_fce2c35c6a_n.jpg

7476338110_b15def18a6_n.jpg7476338080_2c603f9a7d_n.jpg

And lastly here's the Reliant sailing by, saluting the newly built fort. Despite its size (I think the fort would fit nicely on a diorama for four 48*48 plates), the fort is still dwarfed by a properly sized minifig-scale frigate so I think my next project will have to be a couple sloops to go with the fort, I've been itching to try out Perfectionist's NewGen technique anyways.

7476403448_85b00ab447_c.jpg

C&C welcome! :pir-sweet:

Well done on getting all the angles to work so smoothly :thumbup:

Very nice work and I hope you can build it in the brick some day :pir-classic:

Fantastic, great design, but in my opinion I would add less cannons. Otherwise fantastic!

I agree. Using brickbuilt cannons might make it look less cluttered too, even add in some mortars or something. Awesome design though, dont think Ive seen a building technique like that before :thumbup: Great work!

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley

Cool indeed. Great job on all the angles and the "modular" functions!

A question, in the last photo, what was the name of that ship? Other than that, that's one of the best MOCs I've ever seen, fantastic job!

That is just fantastic! I would not be too concerned with the fort being dwarfed by the frigate - she still could be blown to smithereens by Vanguard!

Would you consider giving out the LDD-file for that? I just spent a couple of nights trying to improve my tutorial and this is by far the best version of a proper brick build bastion I've seen so far!

Thanks all! :pir-sweet:

This is really cool!

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Thanks! :excited:

Fantastic, great design, but in my opinion I would add less cannons. Otherwise fantastic!

I agree. Using brickbuilt cannons might make it look less cluttered too, even add in some mortars or something. Awesome design though, dont think Ive seen a building technique like that before :thumbup:

Yeah, the cannons bug me too. I had them all brickbuilt at first, but then I thought it was ridiculous to have a land battery mounting guns of a smaller caliber than a ship. Looking at the pictures the fort does look very cluttered though, so I think I'll experiment with swapping out the 'official' barrels for some kind of brickbuilt solution so the cannons overall look smaller but still have a heavy look.

And about the SNOT bastions, I think the beginnings of the idea came when I looked at the prow of Matt22hew's HMS Gauntlet. Then I forgot about the idea for a while until I was on a plane going to California maybe two weeks ago, and when I looked out the window as we took off there was a Vauban fort right in the middle of Boston Harbor (later found out it was Fort Independence)! Which was awesome, and inspired me to get going on designing again.

A question, in the last photo, what was the name of that ship?

HMS Reliant, thread is here.

Would you consider giving out the LDD-file for that?

Sure, here ya go. If you want the individual modules too just let me know and I'll upload them too. Looking forward to the tutorial update! :thumbup:

Edited by Skipper

Thank you very much! :pir-cry_happy: I'll let you know when I'm done

Sorry for the small delay- but this cool creation should be on Classic-Pirates.com soon!

This really cool...if there is a new Pirate-line in the pipeline at work I definatly gone show it.

This has potential for a nice set (or 2-3 / modular).

Thx for sharing.

Awesome, I love those four mudules, makes me want to try building one in the real bricks :pir-classic:

Thanks again everyone. :pir-blush:

This really cool...if there is a new Pirate-line in the pipeline at work I definatly gone show it.

This has potential for a nice set (or 2-3 / modular).

Thx for sharing.

Holy MegaBlocks, are you a LEGO designer? :pir-oh3: Congrats! Thanks for 'working your megablocks off for us.' :pir-tongue:

If TLG were ever to release a huge, realistic, exclusive set for the Pirates theme though, I'd really prefer it to be a ship. My previous 48 gun frigate was only about 3000 pieces, sure there's a lot of special pieces in there like 24 prefab cannons and such, but I'm sure they could make a really nicely detailed smaller frigate (the Surprise for example :pir-wub: ) for around $200, if only there was a market for that sort of thing.

Very nice...I would like to see it built. :jollyroger:

Agreed completely. I'm guessing this is a standard French design? It appears to be the standard design from the 7 Years War in North America.

Agreed completely. I'm guessing this is a standard French design? It appears to be the standard design from the 7 Years War in North America.

From Wikipedia:

A star fort, or trace italienne, is a fortification in the style that evolved during the age of gunpowder, when thecannon came to dominate the battlefield, and was first seen in the mid-15th century in Italy.

Edited by Skipper