Derfel Cadarn

Avalonia Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

Fellow guildsmen!

I'm greatful to hear that my embassy was chosen first place as the competition was a harsh one. Just seeing the amazing work of Derfel or ZC made it clear to me that winning this challenge went impossible. But there I am. And back again or so to say.

My last weeks were stressful and more than reading the announcement and some of your very kind comments and congratulations wasn't possible. We had a death in our family and some more bad things happened so I also wasn't motivated much to do something.. I would love to present something new but as things went it's not even finished. I'm working on it ;) (seems strange that constructing a gipsy caravan would take more than 3 weeks but yeah.. Snotty.)

I also wasn't able to take decent pictures of my embassy but I'm hoping to get them done during the next days. (one of the main reasons I didn't even thought of winning this one. Great embassy and crappy pictures doesn't go well in my opinion).

Now i will stop lamenting.. :)

I love the new challenge! I think I am still a bit Skyrim infected although I didn't even play since January so I'm right now thinking of some Dwarven machines guarding the crystal or something but I'm sure that the final thing will be rather different. I don't like the idea that something that precious would be guarded by "normal" beasts like werewolfs, giant cats or native people.. Did you had any ideas? (Undead sounds very nice but I'm not sure if there are the right parts available to do some decent ones..)

Furthermore: Great builds for the new challenge from our guild leaders! I think ISC did the best job (I just like his throne room design) but that dragon throne Derfel came up with is a beauty!

Best regards!

So. Now I will be shut and grateful! Hoping to tease you with the newest project during the next days!

Wait, Avalonia has a King? We wonder what High King Darconius thinks of that... We understood that Rex was just a name, not a title.

Well, your majesty, you have a wonderful throne room and our caravans stand ready to supply it with any luxuries you might wish from Kaliphlin.

:classic:

My, my. I apologize for my long period of inactivity! There's just so much that has been going on in my personal life.. Too many family deaths, too. So, as a member of Avalonia, I shall BUILD. When I get enough inspiration (and parts... :hmpf: ) I will post my sigfig. :grin:

Captain Beerbeard-From what I read of the challenge, with no size limits, etc. I do believe that we have the freedom to construct the story as we see fit. I think that using several builds in the same post is perfectly fine, and I hope that I'm right because that is what I am planning for my entry! I think that as long as we hit on all of the requirements(guardians, crystal, etc.), we will be OK with anything else regarding the build.

I apologize for being absent for the past couple of weeks. I have been very busy with work and family matters. I have been keeping the index updated, but I'm hoping to catch up on actually reading the new posts this weekend.

I present Varis of the Rustling Leaves Clan

6970018067_19d99d0c2f.jpg

Greetings guildsmen!

Firstly, sorry to hear that some of you have had losses recently, i can imagine its been a rough time, very sorry to hear it.

As you guys know, the latest challenge is underway and we have a great prize on offer in The Kingdom's Joust set.

Some of you have mentioned building a few scenes separately. This is fine, but they need to be posted together in one thread, as they will be judged as a whole.

It's time for some input from you guys. Avalonia has grown into a great guild an we have IMO some of the very best castle builders. What I would like to know is how we could improve our guild and make it even better. If any of you have any interesting ideas of things you would like to do or add to make our guild a better place than feel free to share your ideas. Are there any systems you would like to see put in place? Would anyone like to have special jobs to help the guild run better? Any suggestions and ideas just let me know.

A major problem with some of us is parts. I have never used BrickLink and only have sets. Some extra parts as prizes would be cool.

Greetings guildsmen!

It's time for some input from you guys. Avalonia has grown into a great guild an we have IMO some of the very best castle builders. What I would like to know is how we could improve our guild and make it even better. If any of you have any interesting ideas of things you would like to do or add to make our guild a better place than feel free to share your ideas. Are there any systems you would like to see put in place? Would anyone like to have special jobs to help the guild run better? Any suggestions and ideas just let me know.

I think you've been doing a great job running the guild as well DC. It isn't easy im sure.

I think we have a great guild and for me the main reason for joining was to improve my building skills with the challenges presented. I do like creating the backstory and creating builds for my lands as I think it adds more depth to my MOC and in my mind at least, gives me a direction for my build ideas.

I like how we have several mini builds we can complete. Maybe we could expand those? Perhaps do a monthly mini build, I would be happy to contribute toward a prize of some sort (I like the idea of a Avalonia building pack with lots 1x1 round plates, tiles, 1x1 bricks with stud on the face, and lots of foliage pieces or something like that) or a Lego gift card.

I also like that we have opened up the guild to new members as well. There are a lot of members that haven't contributed and hopefully new members will give us a new shot of energy.

And just so someone can hold me to it when I have posted anything in by the end of this month, here is a list of builds I currently want to undertake: in the Hamlet of Circardia, stables, water mill, Inn, and of course finishing my circus display! Another building for Albion (if there is something on the list that someone signed up for but hasn't built yet can I take a crack at it?) and finally, challenge 3 for the GoH challenge. I have an idea but thinking it isn't all the original so im going to sit on it an think about it for a couple weeks. that seem to work for my embassy build!

I like how we have several mini builds we can complete. Maybe we could expand those? Perhaps do a monthly mini build, I would be happy to contribute toward a prize of some sort (I like the idea of an Avalonia building pack with lots 1x1 round plates, tiles, 1x1 bricks with stud on the face, and lots of foliage pieces or something like that) or a Lego gift card.

That would be awesome! I am in need of studs and foliage... :laugh:

seriously though monthly mini challenges and possibly a few more titles would be awesome!

The Vote is now officially open Guildmsmen! Make sure you cast your ballot for the first even Mitgardian Prime Minister! ---> HERE

Question: Why is voting open to all members?

Answer: We want this to feel more like an election, if only Mitgardians voted there would be a dozen or so votes, and that could be a very underwhelming race. For the purposes of the election, all members can become Mitgardian citizens for a day, just as many of us take on a couple of characters in places like the war-games forum, and our multiple Historica adventures.

I am asking all Avalonians that are still building for Avalonia to repost pic's of their avatar's without armor and helmets. The reason I'm asking this is I don't want to include anyone's avatar's who isn't building for Avalonia anymore in any future mocs. I also want to know how many members we really still have.

As you wish my Lord:

picture_01.jpg

I'm back from Finland and the next few weeks I'm able to spend a little more time on building :-)

My brothers and sisters to the West.

I cordially invite you to sit and listen to tales told by some of our finest story tellers.

Go forth to Story time with Kaliphlin and vote for your favourite story weaver!

Greetings guildsmen!

Firstly, sorry to hear that some of you have had losses recently, i can imagine its been a rough time, very sorry to hear it.

As you guys know, the latest challenge is underway and we have a great prize on offer in The Kingdom's Joust set.

Some of you have mentioned building a few scenes separately. This is fine, but they need to be posted together in one thread, as they will be judged as a whole.

I have some input. I try to reply to all Avalonian mocs I see on page one. I hardly get any reply from Avalonian's in my moc's. This make's me feel like I'm not even building for Avalonia. So, I guess what I'm saying is "If I leave you a comment and you don't comment on my moc's, I'm not even going to look at your's anymore". That's how I feel about this shit guild. If it dosen't change, I'm moving. I'm not happy with my guildsmen. I speak only truth, so don't tell me I'm wrong. There seem's to be way too much focus on competition. I'm not talking about contests either. This whole GoH thing was supposedly to help people improve building skills. There is no improvment without feedback. Tell me I'm wrong. It's just been nothing but typical Eurobricks. Competition.

Edited by Captain BeerBeard

Cpt BeerBeard: I try to do the same thing and comment on all the Avalonians mocs and of course so many of the others guild builds as well. Sorry to hear that you don´t get so many comments because your mocs surely deserves them! Hope that you stick around in the guild, I love your mocs! :classic:

I enjoy your builds too and feel I have commented on a majority of them. that being said, Avalonia really only has about 7-10 'active" members and a few that come contribute every now and then. But I understand that people get busy with their lives and other things come up and can't make the guild their number one priority. I haven't been able to do as much building much lately myself and because I have been busy with other thing don't post as much as I would like either.

By building and looking at others builds all of us will continue to grow and improve. I know I have seen a half a dozen techniques by others than DC that I thought "wow I need to try that out." So not all improvement comes from the feedback (although I do think it helps) I think the most improvement comes from just building and trying new things, Whether that is a free build or a competition build. That is what I think the guild is mostly about.

Edited by MikeyB

Dear Avalonia!

I would like to be a member of your guild. I am active online and I love your color scheme and almost all of your builds.

I will place quality over quantity for sure and since I don't have too many bricks yet I won't be able to build too many things right now. I surely will miss out on the current challenge. However I want to contribute some nice free builds. I would love to build a City in the Forest marked by the red circle:

avalonia.jpg

My goal and ambition is to build something huge like DC's Durnovaria or maydayartist's big landscape. It would be a village based around the wood industry with a Sawmill, Carpenter, etc.

Best Regards,

mephistopheles

Good to have you here mephistopheles! Looking forward to your mocs! Your furniture are great and I may have to borrow some of the ideas!

And about the land your claiming, I think no one has clamied it before you... :classic:

Regarding the map of Avalonia, is there a new one? With all the countys in them?

I know we all want to support Beery and when he gets in his bi-weekly funk, slap him on the back, make him all smiles. I often find a kernel a truth in Beerbeard's comments, but tactful he is not, and completely correct he is not. I would suggest to Beery that he consider the issue isn't completely with everyone else, but some of that is his fault as well.

I have some input. I try to reply to all Avalonian mocs I see on page one.

You have replied to ZERO of mine. We've had a bit of a bad history, so I get it if you think saying nothing is better than saying something mean... this also leads into your next comment...

I hardly get any reply from Avalonian's in my moc's.

I don't know how true this is, I used to comment on more of your MOCs, but you spent all your time replying and arguing why my comments were wrong or invalid. At that point, why comment anymore? I know I sometimes also feel validation from the number of replies I get, or the number of likes on MOC pages, but I also know that telling people who comment on something that they are idiots for not marveling at my greatness or something will not get me more in the future. Comment and you are disgruntled by the comment, not comment "enough" and you are disgruntled that everyone is ignoring you. What I am trying to say is that people do or don't comment for different reasons and a poor attitude is one reason people won't.

This make's me feel like I'm not even building for Avalonia. So, I guess what I'm saying is "If I leave you a comment and you don't comment on my moc's, I'm not even going to look at your's anymore". That's how I feel about this **** guild.

Please leave the cursing out of it. Maybe other people have developed a similar attitude towards your MOCs.

I think we have done a good job of remaining civil, but I think we should all remember not everyone is at the same skill level. I have heard some complaint that this guild has scared away "new" builders. I am not sure I agree with that as being true, but I would ask us to be mindful of that and encouraging to people when the situation seems to encourage us to do so. I am not saying tell someone who throws 4 bricks together into a square they are a genius or anything, but always be mindful that that may truly be the best they can do for now and we should help develop them here. Like I said, Beery is right that we need to try our best to be supportive and encouraging, but I say to Beery again, you make it hard to do that with your attitude.

My goal and ambition is to build something huge like DC's Durnovaria or maydayartist's big landscape. It would be a village based around the wood industry with a Sawmill, Carpenter, etc.

A good goal indeed.

Regarding the map of Avalonia, is there a new one? With all the countys in them?

Jason? Anyone? I really have no idea.

I have some input. I try to reply to all Avalonian mocs I see on page one. I hardly get any reply from Avalonian's in my moc's. This make's me feel like I'm not even building for Avalonia. So, I guess what I'm saying is "If I leave you a comment and you don't comment on my moc's, I'm not even going to look at your's anymore". This whole GoH thing was supposedly to help people improve building skills. There is no improvment without feedback. Tell me I'm wrong. It's just been nothing but typical Eurobricks. Competition.

While I am not a member of Avalonia, I would like to comment on this...

I myself am often times overwhelmed at all the amazing MOCs that are produced in Historica. If I were to comment on all the MOCs that have inspired me, I would have to quit building. I just want to put it out there that if you comment on one of my MOC's, thank you very much and I really apreciate it but it doesn't mean that I will neccesarily coment back. Not that I don't want to, or that I don't like your MOCs any more than ones I do happen to comment on. Its just time. The way I see it when I post something, is that it is for the enjoyment of the community but whether the individual enjoys it or not is up to the individual. I'm not going to get heartsick because I don't get any comments or thumbs up. Even though I try to comment on most of my guilds topics, I know that there are quite a few that I miss so I hope there won't be any hard feelings about it.

GoH is an awesome project and IMO everyone here that continues to post MOCs is helping to make this project the awesomeness that it is... so please when you feel like you aren't a part of GoH, remember that somewhere, at sometime, your participation HAS made a mark on GoH.

Edited by Mikel Kalores

Welcome Hellboy and Mephistopheles, make sure you post your sig fig here as well! Also don't forget the build you can earn titles for on the first page of this thread.

Hopefully we will see some nice builds from both of you soon.

Well I usually dont comment on Mocs for various reasons.

The quantity of them is one, as Mikel has said, there are so many that you can count yourself lucky if you see them all.

It can be also that a comment previously posted contains most part of what you wanted to say, and add just a "+1" would not be seen as a serious effort to make a constructive criticism. So it is better to make a quality post.

The language is another one for me, I have to use the translate tool on some occasions and sometimes I feel the sentence do not really express what I want it to say precisely.

One more thing I want to add, I think the best thing about GoH is the chance to improve our abilities as constructers. I know seeing my first Mocs, I have improved a little bit. :blush:

Greetings.