Exa

I need some advice for my track layout

Hello,

I am just starting with Lego trains but I am familiar with the trains. I already got HO and Merklin N trains.

Here is what I got :

Tracks only :

6 x 7499 Flexible and Straight Tracks

1 x 7895 Switching Tracks

1 x 7996 Train Rail Crossing

Box :

1 x 60051 High-Speed Passenger Train

1 x 66374 City Super Pack 4 in 1 (damn, I just see I got 66405 not 66374)

So :

6 x 8 + 4 + 20 = 72 straight

16 + 20 + 4 = 40 curves

1 crossing

6 switchings

I got some goals for my track :

- 2 trains can run at the same times

- it can reverse a train

- it can park unused wagons

- One part is for *speed train* so with as few crossing as possible

- A station stop track (where a train can stop allowing other to run)

- Not a too large nor long layout (due to WAF) 3 meters long and as narrow as possible

Due to Super Pack 66405, I will have use flex track (dont like them much) because 4 curves are missing. I will place the flex track in the reversing loop area.

Any advice about my track layout is welcome !!! Current size is 2.88 m x 1.22 mm.

Ps : Sorry for my poor English.

post-125774-0-79854200-1404562162_thumb.png

Edited by Exa

Hey Exa. Sadly you can not run two trains at once using the double crossover Lego made. The switching mechanism it connected to both sides so when the left lower is switched strainght the left upper is switched cross track.

you can with the double crossover, but not without modifying it, I modified mine and now I can :)

Thank you. So sad ! :( I se this on a french website. Is it wrong ?

419617shema1.jpg

If inner train (yellow) run clockwise and outer train (green) counterclockwise, will it work ?

I was planning to use this setup for two trains (even if they have to run in only one way)

The second setup looks fine for single train.

495246shema2.jpg

Is there a file dedicated to track sample ?

EDIT : Thanks for all replies (when I was answering).

Edited by Exa

If you don't mind modifying two pairs of points you can have a layout that will allow you to run two engines at once..

There are some really useful ideas about doing this on this previous topic

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=90187

If you modify switches you do get the best of both worlds, I have mine working well now if you need any tips

If the trains run in the opposite direction it will be possible to run both at the same time with the double crossover.

Are you gonna build something around the layout, or only the tracks? It's looking great so far!

Thank you all for your advice. For now, I prefer not to cut out brand new Lego parts. If both train can run the opposite direction, it's good enough for me. I will try my first design for some days. I still have to receive the crossing (I hope during the week).

I have reworked my layout to have an alternative solution. This way, I lost parking area but the two rings can avoid the crossing.

Layout v2

948939supertrackcompactv2.png

I will complete the loop junction with flex track.

Buy the way, I'am keep on trying with a third révision (with two more switching).

Layout v3

152586supertrackcompactv3.png

I like v3 because lower part looks like a *true* complex station rail road.

If I were you, I'd sell the crossover because it's very valuable. I would them use that money to buy another train. :)

If the trains run in the opposite direction it will be possible to run both at the same time with the double crossover.

Are you gonna build something around the layout, or only the tracks? It's looking great so far!

Thanks. Well, I will first put track on the floor. Than I plan to add some rail road buildings. Currently, I have no more advanced project.

If I were you, I'd sell the crossover because it's very valuable. I would them use that money to buy another train. :)

That's a point of view but I really like the crossover. It gives some realistic look to a track. I found a second hand one for 75 €. Happily, I don't need those euros back to buy a new train. Three trains are enough for now. :blush:

I just need one more 7895 witching tracks set to get all what I want ! :wub:

- Outer track is fine for fast trains (most straight).

- Two trains can run in any direction by not using the crossover.

- One train can do a lap all over the track using the crossover.

- Two trains can wait at station and up to two train still can run.

- Reversing loop.

- Keep 2.88 m x 1.22 m small footprint.

Layout 4

384843Image1.png

44 curves

72 straights

4 left switchings

4 right switchings

1 crossing

I plan to build the track next week end. :classic:

Edited by Exa

Hello, I read your request help on the circuit.

circuit not Who approximation of Your BUT I came not to send picture on the site. I left

If you want, we can correspond by mail and. I will send you the circuit pictured ATTACHMENT

My email: ppasset@orange.fr

! PS I am in France

. best regards

Philippe

Looks good, will you have easy access to operate the switches at the back.

Keep in mind that some trains have quite a long overhang in the front/back when going around curves and switches. That is, you won't be able to put much of a platform in between the tracks at the station, only on the two outer tracks.

The innermost track should be a bit longer anyway - it looks like you could move the switch on the left one track piece further to the left.

I suggest to move your double cross-over to the right by two pieces, and move the switch thats in the way up. This way you get more straight track that can be used for platforms.

Nice layout by the way

Edited by ronenson

With only one or two extra parts you can also disable one branch of the double crossover and run two trains in the same direction through it without conflict (see RailBricks 9 for details).

I like version 3 of your layout, you are packing a lot in a small space. Though don't worry too much about it, I am sure you will quickly find that you want more and more and more track.

True I forget about overhang and platform ! :blush: Thank you to point it out. I'am going to work again and again.

@ zephyr1934 : I will read this book. :classic:

Here is the first updates I made to take care about platform and overhang.

Big dark rectangle is clearance for 60050 station (a future set). Smaller area are for 7937 platforms.

Layout 5

555851v5a.png

Advantage : 3 decent platforms, can have a big station, funny inner track

Down side : shortest inner track, wasted space in down left corner

Layout 6

402806v5b.png

Advantage : 3 long platforms, can have a big station, longer inner

Down side : looks a bit simple and *symmetric*, use flex track

I read the RailBricks 9 and I know fully understand how crossing can be used a more clever and space saver way.

Layout 7

677025v5c.png

Advantage : decent platform, funny inner track, nice area for city and creator buildings, longest inner track

Down side : only 3 tracks wide station

Now, I just have to make up my mind and choose one layout. Currently, last one is my favorite.

Edited by Exa

I agree. I also like 5 a lot. I can save some space by placing the park track into the reversing loop. I hope I will have time to try some setups this week end. :laugh:

Hello,

what about the length of your trains? Are the platform tracks long enough to fully hold trains that overtake or cross each other at the station?

How many persons should be able to play with your layout? In order to run 2 trains at once, you will need 2 drivers and 1 switchmen at least.

A single - longer - track might be an alternative solution. In addition to extendes main track length, this would allow you to add some sidings, allow for lots of shunting. This might add some plaing fun and allows you to add more meaningful buildings along the tracks.

Xris

Hey, here is some news ! I will go for track 6 on the ground this week end and keep ot for some weeks. I will post pictures soon.

Xris : For now, I will only run short trains (as short as vanilla from Lego Box) and it will be enough. But read the following !

I phone my carpenter (not sure it's the good word) to setup a MDF table over current cabinet and console (all are same high about 760 mm). I will pull them from wall for 800 mm and set fixation on wall. This will allow to place 2 pannel 2500 x 1250 mm so 5000 x 1250 track space. :laugh: And my wife can still have easy to her storage. I will place acoustc foam layer under the MDF. BOM is about 120 € for 2 18mm MDF panel old oak finition (to suit the room color) and some parts for structure.

Edit : First pict !

197716photo.jpg

Sorry, only have my iPad to take it...

Edited by Exa

Looking good :) I'm really interested to see how your MDF ideas progress.

Don't worry about the iPad photo, it's good enough. Perhaps you can use it for some video soon too?