Sign in to follow this  
Redimus

Southern trucks.

Hot on the heels of my Q Class, I've started building up it's default train. First up, an open wagon and a brakevan.

I'm really happy with the open, the brakevan, no so much, it just seems a little too fat. I've tried redesigning it on LDD, and so far, got absolutly nowhere, I fear I'll have to start from scratch to get it absolutely right, but for now, it'll do.

t1.1.jpg

t1.2.JPG

t1.3.JPG

t1.4.JPG

t1.5.JPG

t1.6.JPG

t1.7.JPG

t1.8.JPG

t1.9.JPG

t1.10.JPG

t1.11.JPG

t1.12.JPG

Nice. I really like the way the wood paneling and the lever on the open freight car came out!

What are those metal discs on the buffers? Is that custom?

I think those are just 1x1 round tiles in metallic silver. They look great on the buffers! :classic:

Yeah, they're standard metallic silver 1x1 round tiles. I was gonna go light grey, and happened upon them on Bricklink.

Also, the lever is a handbrake, these wagons were loose coupled (ie, no central braking system for the train, which is why they need a brakevan at the end of the train, so would have no automatic system to apply the brakes when not attached to the loco).

Interesting choice to brick-build the buffers. It works very well, in my opinion.

What about the brake van do you feel is "too fat"?

In the plastic it just looks a little cartoonish, a little too wide but a little bit short (mainly the cabin section). It's not so bad when the open wagon is in the train, but when it's just the loco and the brakevan, it's really noticeable (it doesn't help that the loco is only 7 wide at the footplate). Ideally, I'd like to remove a the second plate on each side holding it all together, but I can't seem to fine a combination of brackets that will allow me to do that without it being a fragile mess.

Edited by Redimus

I've got a selection of appropriate designs to form a mixed freight. I'm going to slowly build the basic version of each, see what I need to change, update the design and do a few Private Owner versions. By that point, I'll probably not need to build any more for a while.

I think I may have had a breakthrough on the brakevan.

7wide%20Brakevan%20mk2.png

The chassis is identical apart from the red bufferbeam (as per prototype). The cabin is a completely new set of build techniques. I've also fixed the problem of the paneling being the wrong orientation for a Southern brakevan. Will probably canibalise the existing brakevan tomorrow to try out this build (I'm a little worried about the side of the ends), and all going well, will order any missing bits shortly afterwards.

Much happier now. It's a little more fragile (I've used some blutack to shore up a couple of joints that hold fine, but tend to not stay aligned as well as I'd like), but the profile is damn well near spot on, the paneling is the correct orientation, and the openings at either end are pretty much exactly the size they should be. It's a shame I still have to have a full plate's width between the doorways and the roof, but there's little I can do about that without seriously compromising several other bits. It's also a shame I couldn't come up with this build the first time, as it's considerably cheaper, due to using less uncommon bits, more bits I already owned and less bits overall.

bv2.1.JPG

bv2.2.JPG

bv2.3.JPG

bv2.4.JPG

A small Bricklink order has been put in for bits I don't have/that are a little too chewed for comfort), and then I'll take some photos with the rest of the train.

The cars are looking great, the open top car is really fantastic, very simple design yet very good looking too.

I think I may have had a breakthrough on the brakevan.

Groan! (grin)

The cars are looking great, the open top car is really fantastic, very simple design yet very good looking too.

Yeah, the problem I've had is getting the rest of the trucks to look as good!

A great design, both the open and brakevan are looking great.

Cheers!

As soon as I've received the rest of the bits for my current project (a very comprehensive mod of the most recent firestation set), I'll ordering the bits for the next two trucks (probably the tanker and one of the two types of van).

These both look very gorgeous, and I can't wait to see the cattle van when it's built. I'd also love to see the tanker added to this thread!

Do you have any plans to build a tank engine for your layout, like say an E2? :3 That'd be neat to see. Of course you'd have to either battery-power it or kitbash a 9v motor bogie if you wanted it to have proper steamer wheels.. (I so wish LEGO had made steamer wheels for that bogie... Le sigh.)

Edited by ZeldaTheSwordsman

At some point, I want to build some tank engines too. I'm toying with building a Stroudsly A1x Terrier (which will be nigh on impossible to power using standard Lego parts) plus the pushpull 2 coach set that one of the railways in the Isle of Wight used (which would allow me power it but not need to run it around the train to go the other way).

As for further pictures (and LDD files!), I'm gonna slowly post most of my MOCs in this thread, so watch that space.