garethjellis

British Rail - Class 43 Intercity 125 - 8 wide

I have not been on here for a while, busy building up the BR fleet designs.

Here are some renders of my British Rail - Class 43 Intercity 125 - 8 wide model.

This is some 7800 parts which are slowly making their way from brick link to my house.

Combined3.png

Engine Detail with the V12 Diesel coupled to the electric generator creating 3500bhp

Combined.png

Intercity1255.jpg

Second Class

Mk32ndclass.jpg

First CLass

Mk31stClass.jpg

Edited by garethjellis

Oh wow, looking good, you really captured the look and feel of this train inside and out. The cutaway renderings are also fantastic.

Absolutely fantastic! It takes my breath away!

Although pedantic mode on - its 2,250bhp not 3,500bhp.

great minds, eh.... :classic:

I am finishing off a 6-wide version, here are the LDD versions.

15258207035_2d321ebf02_d.jpg

15255112671_3d2e4c60fc_d.jpg

15071647698_f3e901b1a7_d.jpg

I have built the engine and one carriage of the Virgin liveried one, it has the PF engine/battery/sensor/lights included.

The bogies and underside of the trains have changed. Like the OP, I too am awaiting the postman...... :grin:

And how much does 7800 parts cost? Beautiful train! Makes me want to build 8-wide.

I'd guess just shy of $1000. Figure about $0.12-0.15 per piece.

This is really nice but my only reservation would be that it doesn't look like you can fit minifigs in the seats unless you remove one of their arms. Is that right?

I love these, especially the front! My only slight gripe is that the windows look a touch too small and high, but I suspect nothing can really be done about that.

I think the arms will fit in the window recess, could be wrong though

It'd be a tight fit if it did fit at all.

However, lowering the window would fix that, and possibly fix my only real gripe with the design, the grey stripe should roughly half the height of the coach side. Lowering the windows would allow the band to be thicker without the windows being too high.

I have really appreciated all of your nice comments and critique. I really struggled with some of the shapes and such to keep this as accurate a scale model as possible. The biggest challenge for me is what I can sacrifice to make it work vs being a scale model.

@ Lego train 12 volts , video coming soon when I have completed the brick build.

@ Heppeng, you are indeed correct, the BR HST 125 in blue was 2250, On reflection Paxman did test a 3500bhp engine late 1990's I believe it went in to early 2000 model HST 125's.

@ Dr_Spock, well......is bricklink sellers were to never send the wrong stuff not long ha.... ordering takes many many hours, finding the best prices, so all in all I would say about 1 month,

@ Antsiranean, it was around the $700 to $800 area. Not exactly sure.

@ Paperballpark, depending what seat the minifigs were in they do fit. I did a trail run of lowering the windows by 1 plate and adding 1 row of white above. seems like a better proportion.

CombinedBRIntercity1251.png

CombinedBRIntercity1252.png

Great Intercity designs, like some others I have just finished a 6 wide version of the same train, but not as detailed as I'm pretty new to creating my own designs. Currently sourcing parts on Bricklink and also putting finishing touches to my second design a BR Class 20, both designed to be compatible with power functions.

Out of interest, will this fit around standard Lego curves, or is it a strictly a strait curves railway kinda train?

Also, I like the lowered windows.

It looks lovely! For some reason, it reminds me of playing Microsoft Train Simulator.

Well done! My only wonder is if you couldn't modify it so that the interior doors could open?

I know they're only two studs wide, but I don't see any reason you couldn't, in theory, use a modified version of the door concept I used on my T.A.R.D.I.S., which was also two studs wide. (Although, I have to admit it's not the most visually appealing thing you could imagine - I prefer functionality over looks.)

You have wonder what advantage there is in having opening interior doors when most of the time, you can't see them, and when the prototype doors are sliding doors anyway.

You have wonder what advantage there is in having opening interior doors when most of the time, you can't see them, and when the prototype doors are sliding doors anyway.

Didn't notice that about the sliding doors. :blush:

Some people just like making their models functional, even if the functions probably won't be used.