So I got a new LEGO room :grin: / ManCave for my son and I. Its large, about 20'x30', with open cathedral ceiling with exposed beams, ideal for hanging 9393 helicopter, 8480 space shuttle, 42025 cargo plane, etc..

I am looking for some solutions to do so - some requirements are - sturdy, can't risk any model falling; easily removable, by standing on a step stool should be able to reach the model and uncouple it from the hanger system for occasional swooshing and PF operation, and the hanging solution should be somewhat invisible.

I am thinking about using this part 4548305.jpg, in trans-clear, as part of the support structure under the models, and then using colorless nylon rope to loop over the exposed beams. Perhaps s-hooks or carabiner-hooks can be used to attach the beams to the rope.

Wondering if anyone else has done something similar and their solution. I am not planning to operate the PF while the models are suspended, however, but could one day...

I have made it many times with nylon, it is enough strong and i am used to attach it to bottom of the models by making a hole from above, it is important to attach the nylon to frame parts which will not fall or break, you can also tie the nylon to an screw or a bolt, so you only need to put it in a hole to make it easy to attach, also your idea of the beam should work.

I have used high strength fishing line along with hooks to hang models. I even did this with the heavy UCS Death Star II.

funny.. I answered this question to someone else just the other week, in a facebook lego group:

Be careful... I bought a 2ndhand 8448 Super Street Sensation, that the previous owner had hung on the wall.. and a few bricks WERE damaged, with fishing-line cuts in them...

in fact, I think I recall there was still some line tied around the still-built set, when it arrived in the mail

Fortunately, they were only common pieces to replace.. but they were definitely damaged

If I were to hang models by line/wire/string, I'd ensure that you either tie it to replaceable pieces... or 'pad' where it touches/supports the plastic (scrap of paper/clear plastic sheet?)

It all depends on the size of fishing line. I used 50 lbs test line which is very thick so it does not cut into LEGO pieces. Of course, this also means it is more visible.

Hope we get to see your new Lego room/man-cave. Post pics when done. I have also hung sets, and found lots of luck with fishing line and just simply placing the line in the black pins between elements (liftarms, etc). If you place the line in the gaps on each end of the pins, wrap it around the pin once or twice and then connect it between liftarms, etc., you create a near flawless hold.

Hope to get to it this weekend, will post pictures when done. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

How about dust? I used to have my old 8855 Prop Plane hanging from the ceiling, the one thing that struck me when I took it down after a few years was the thick layer of dust. No damaged bricks, luckily.

Ever since I've thought, but never tried, to hanging in a way that would allow it to swing back and forth, to move a bit, to diminish the accumulation of dust. Has anyone tried that? Did it work?

Plus 1 for the fishing line. If damaging bricks is a concern you can line the holes with cheap connector pegs.

Finally settled on the simplest solution - just a single loop of fishing line, looping through both support beams and looped over the exposed ceiling rafters.

9393.jpg

8480.jpg

sturdy, can't risk any model falling;

Aww, But that's the fun part! :laugh: Your just going about your day when you hear a THUD. Then You have to spend the day cleaning up! (Although I've never dealt with it, so I guess it could be a bigger problem then I imagine!)