Sign in to follow this  
rupi

Imperial Flagship custom sails

P8291247red.jpgP8291243red.jpg

This is not a moc just some custom sails I made for the Imperial Flagship.

I didnt like the original ones very much so I made plain white sails and painted the cannons pattern on the big one.

I folowed the evil willy tutorial to make the sails and I used acrylic paint.

These sails have turned out really well! You must have a really steady hand because in those pictures the design looks really crisp and precise. What material are the sails made out of anyways?

Thank you for the comments.

The material is some kind of fabric I dont know exactly, I used what I had at home. The cannons are hand painted with acrylic and a thin brush. Of course I traced the lines with a pencil before, I use the original sails and a backlight to do so.

P8291247red2.jpg

So what you did was got the fabric, put the sails beneath them, then under that you had a light shining upwards to enable you to see the sail design through the fabric? Is that correct?

So what you did was got the fabric, put the sails beneath them, then under that you had a light shining upwards to enable you to see the sail design through the fabric? Is that correct?

Yes that was it.

Do you have one of those special backlight tables or did you make your own out of stuff you had at your place? The reason I'm so curious is this is a techique nobody has mentioned here before so I assume not that many people have tried it. Maybe you're the first! But it seems a clever way to overcome a simple problem of making the design through the material. Honestly, it probably would have taken me a while to figure that out because I'm so used to using digital technology to achieve my designs.

Do you have one of those special backlight tables or did you make your own out of stuff you had at your place? The reason I'm so curious is this is a techique nobody has mentioned here before so I assume not that many people have tried it. Maybe you're the first! But it seems a clever way to overcome a simple problem of making the design through the material. Honestly, it probably would have taken me a while to figure that out because I'm so used to using digital technology to achieve my designs.

Well, I have a home made light table but I didnt used it because it is stored in the garage and I didnt want to take the time to get it and clean it... Most of the times I also try to make everything I can using a computer, but sometimes its faster and cheaper to use the old methods.

The cheap and efective solution that I used in this case was a window with good sun ligth behind. Its convenient to use tape to hold the materials to the glass and then it is easy to trace the design.

As for the sails, I soaked all the fabric with white glue mixed with water, (and not just the edges as in evil willy tutorial) For the holes I used a tool (dont know the name) for making holes in belts, a paper puncher also works good but the holes are a little to big.

I plan to do some sails for the black sea barracuda when I have the time, if possible I will try to make a tutorial of how to trace drawings and paint the sails.

You're quite the inivator Mr Rupi! You've just given everyone a completely new technique for creating sail designs so me must thank ye for it!

Aside from these sails, do you do much painting?

You're quite the inivator Mr Rupi! You've just given everyone a completely new technique for creating sail designs so me must thank ye for it!

Aside from these sails, do you do much painting?

not much really, I am graduated in graphic design but know I am a highschool teatcher.

What kind of graphic design did you learn? Did you learn the more traditional methods (rather than digital) thus enabling you to devise the method you used to produce these sails?

I would never have guessed that you did the painting manually.

I'm so used to my computer that I forget there are also other ways to get a great result.

Knowing this, I appreciate it even more. Nice job.

B.

What kind of graphic design did you learn? Did you learn the more traditional methods (rather than digital) thus enabling you to devise the method you used to produce these sails?

actually I learned the both ways, i started in 1990 and in my college there was only one mac for about 100 students so nobody could touch it and we did all the work by hand, you know with rotring pens, pencils, brushes, getting our hands dirt...and the cut & paste in that time was really with scissors and glue...but in a coulple of years everybody was using the computers for everything, the transition was really fast.

now I'm glad that I learned that way because these days with all the possibilities of computers we sometimes seam to lose the ability to think...

I studied graphic design at university level and for the entire first year using computers was strictly forbidden so the students could develop better problem solving skills and think of methods of achieving design beyond the use of a computer.

For my final project that year I ended up spray painting designs onto parchment I simulated from dying chamois in coffee...

Thats some nice printing there, I could have sworn it was done on a computer.

I found that a good substitute for a backlight table was an old computer scanner. They have a flat glass surface and a light, and the one I had would leave the light activated for 5 minutes before it switched off.

I was thinking of some custom sails myself the other day. Has anyone here ever used felt? My idea was to do up designs on the computer, print them as an iron on transfer, and then iron on the design to felt.

ANd if you dont like the original Flagship sails rupi, feel free to send them to me. ; )

Thats some nice printing there, I could have sworn it was done on a computer.

I found that a good substitute for a backlight table was an old computer scanner. They have a flat glass surface and a light, and the one I had would leave the light activated for 5 minutes before it switched off.

I was thinking of some custom sails myself the other day. Has anyone here ever used felt? My idea was to do up designs on the computer, print them as an iron on transfer, and then iron on the design to felt.

ANd if you dont like the original Flagship sails rupi, feel free to send them to me. ; )

Those are good ideas...(except the part of giving you my original sails |-/ ) I would never remember of using the scanner as light table... :-)

Felt is that kind of thick fabric right?

The transfer method is very good and will give you many possibilities as you can print and transfer any image you like. But if I'm not mistaked, those transfer sheets for use with the iron are only indicated for cotton (sinthetyc fibers will melt).

Yeah, felt is the really thick stuff. I'm not sure if its synthetic or not. I'll be sure to do a test run first before I spend hours cutting out the perfect shape and getting the design right. Either way, the felt comes in different colours so there is a bit of variety , and because its a bit thicker than normal fabric its abit less flimsy and doesn't require starching or glueing and the corners dont fray like they would with more conventional woven fabrics.