Sign in to follow this  
Evil Willy

Sub-Forum Community*Poll*

Community sub-forum  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want one?

• Yes!
    • No!

Well I was thinking, maybe we should create a new Sub-Forum for community, it would allow for a lot more chit-chat in the pirate forums (Which is practically the only place I post on Eurobricks. I was once a member who posted everywhere but alas I do not have the time for that anymore, so if we created a "Community" Sub-forum this would allow us Pirate fans (Most of us just post here anyways) to talk abou thing in life in general, like music, sports etc....Because we can only talk so much about Pirate LEGO.... Tell me what u think and vote!

Organization is good, but you can over-organize. The pirate forum is a sub-forum of EB, and a second community-forum within EB would just confuse things.

Seriously, if you want community talk, then go up two levels. If it's pirate related, well, then it's not community talk and you're in the right place anyways.

So, "no" from me - but what am I doing here anyways ;-)

I voted no also, for the same reason Hobbes did. If you guys really want to talk about other things, just go to the community forum we already have. I'm sure it wouldn't be too much work for you. ;-)

Organization is good, but you can over-organize. The pirate forum is a sub-forum of EB, and a second community-forum within EB would just confuse things.

Seriously, if you want community talk, then go up two levels. If it's pirate related, well, then it's not community talk and you're in the right place anyways.

Ahh but you are always welcome here Hobbes, but the idea is not that we are to lazy to go to the community forums, its that we really have a community here that is seperate to EB... Hmm I believe you would understand if you were very involved in here.

I voted no also, for the same reason Hobbes did. If you guys really want to talk about other things, just go to the community forum we already have. I'm sure it wouldn't be too much work for you. ;-)

Like I said to Hobbes, its that we really have a community here that is seperate to EB... Hmm I believe you would understand if you were very involved in here.

I hope this makes sense?

Well it seems that my idea is being rejected, ohh well it was worth a try :D

I know that this pirate community has a life of its own, and I think it's great what it evolved into. But do you really want to seperate it even more?

Just a thought - and it's just 8 votes as of now, don't judge too soon ;-)

I know that this pirate community has a life on its own, and I think it's great what it evolved into. But do you really want to seperate it even more?

i think we've taken the subforum concept for pirates far enough... yet one more step, like creating a pirate community, and you basically have an entirely new website....

i also think this concept of subforums is completely missing her intended target. the idea was to give each section in lego world a different corner on EB but with a strong emphasis on keeping it all in one large community, so people would not hide in their own corner and forget about the rest. but that is exactly what's going on with pirates i'm afraid...

I know that this pirate community has a life on its own, and I think it's great what it evolved into. But do you really want to seperate it even more?

i think we've taken the subforum concept for pirates far enough... yet one more step, like creating a pirate community, and you basically have an entirely new website....

i also think this concept of subforums is completely missing her intended target. the idea was to give each section in lego world a different corner on EB but with a strong emphasis on keeping it all in one large community, so people would not hide in their own corner and forget about the rest. but that is exactly what's going on with pirates i'm afraid...

Blashphemy!

I don't know, there are some of us that venture outside this port and post around the other eurobricks forums...I should really post more to the historical theme section.. i have some iron clads and some johny thunder vrs the nazis i wanted to post over there... for right now, i am concentrated here. But i do read the boards of the other themes, as I am sure others do too. I guess we could all try to be more multi-dimentional and branch out, but i dont think there is anythig wrong with our community here. i still feel we are part of eurobricks. This is also made more evident by all the not so pirate lovers that come in and talk with us too!

i never said there's anything wrong with pirates, i'm nearly stating that EB runs a serious risk of losing its originel spirit because we're all branching out. As willy said himself: 'so many things on pirates that i don't find the time anymore to actively post any place else on eb'

there are so many little nooks to the the pirate forum... its already hard for me to keep up with reading it, let alone posting in it. to me, this is already like i separate site. *wacko*

i think having a common "community" forum for all of EB is good. i already feel like i don't know some of the new pirate fans :-/

- BM

Maybe if it was specifically nonlego, but real pirates, natical and time peroid related material.

If it's in a pirate forum it should remain piratical.

All the " life in general, like music, sports etc...." should probably remain in community, unless it's inspirational to your life as a pirate.

Maybe if it was specifically nonlego, but real pirates, natical and time peroid related material.

That's not what Willy meant with "community talk". These non-LEGO-but-still-Pirates-related topics already exist in the Pirates forum.

If it's in a pirate forum it should remain piratical.

All the " life in general, like music, sports etc...." should probably remain in community, unless it's inspirational to your life as a pirate.

And you already have the Pirates forum(s) for that, don't you...

sne has a point when he says that the Pirates forum is in danger of separating itself completely. While what it has evolved into is quite a feat, a "split" would be a slap into EB's face, bluntly spoken.

Comments like Willy's "its that we really have a community here that is seperate to EB... Hmm I believe you would understand if you were very involved in here." speak for themselves, I think...

And you already have the Pirates forum(s) for that, don't you...

sne has a point when he says that the Pirates forum is in danger of separating itself completely. While what it has evolved into is quite a feat, a "split" would be a slap into EB's face, bluntly spoken.

Comments like Willy's "its that we really have a community here that is seperate to EB... Hmm I believe you would understand if you were very involved in here." speak for themselves, I think...

That's why I didn't vote yet. It already has enough divisions to incompas large range of various content.

Since Phes added "Pirate and Colonial History" sub-forum, I think we have all our bases covered here.

Now that I've had time to contemplate, I will have to go with 'no'.

The only community type piratical related content not covered that I can forsee is personal boating, nautical experiences and maybe marine biology. And is that worth it's own sub-forum?

those topics seem very removed from the world of LEGO - BM

I try to incorperate creatures into mocs wherever possible.

As for boating that is a little to far removed unless you have access to a period restoration(that would be nice, but extreamly rare, especially since I live in the midwest USA :-( )

Evil Willy, its good to see you're taking initiative and creating polls for the management of the forum, however... That's the role of the Administrators as they have the power to create the sub-forums whearas Moderators only have the power to manage posts and threads.

Also, you probably should have ran this idea past me before creating the poll so I could give you my personal assessment - and that is: The idea is fine, but we're probably not ready for such a sub-forum just yet.

Anyway, I must congratulate you for making this bold move. I shall allow you to continue with your poll as it should providee valuable experience for you. By the way, the first thing you should do is correct the spelling mistake you made in this thread's title.

Why can't you open the Pirate and Colonial History subforum in the Great Library to posts like that? You could pin the topics that should stay on top, but everything Pirate-y but not dealing directly with Legos could go there. If it's not pirate-y it could go in the general Community board.

Ahh this is a fine experience indeed, this was just a sugestion, not really a serious serious idea. Well thanks for all your contributions...I know see this is unnescisary. Eek spelling...

I thought I'd take the liberty to respond to some of the comments in this thread now that its lost popularity.

This is a good point Hobbes, the sub-forums can get confusing, however, since I created them they don't confuse me in the slightest because I know exactly how they work, I've just got to remember that everyone else doesn't grasp them like I do . But the Pirate forum IS intended to be a community within a community and I don't think that's confused too many users so far. So speak up if anyone is confused!

That's right, all Community talk belong in the main Eurobricks forum.

Yes, Hobbes what are you doing here ya city rascal! :-D

I know that this pirate community has a life of its own, and I think it's great what it evolved into. But do you really want to seperate it even more?

The future plan of Eurobricks is to create distinct forums for all the themes, whilst retaining some comformity to the larger Eurbricks community. We want to give the user the option whether they want to immerse themself in one forum or spread themself over many forums.

As I mentioned in my previous response we want to give the option whether a user "hides" in a certain forum or partakes in many. There is no expectation for a user participate in all the forums.

We do actually want to split the forum somewhat, but there's always the option of moving two levels up.

Why can't you open the Pirate and Colonial History subforum in the Great Library to posts like that? You could pin the topics that should stay on top, but everything Pirate-y but not dealing directly with Legos could go there. If it's not pirate-y it could go in the general Community board.

The Pirate and Colonial History sub-forum in The Great Library of Honduras should be home to all threads relating to that information. However, social Pirate topics like "What do you think about Pirates of the Caribbean movies" or "Have you hosted a Pirate themed party" or "Do you have any non Pirate LEGO paraphernalia" wouldn't be appropriate here.

i think having a common "community" forum for all of EB is good.

This is an interpreting comment Brick Miner as you've excepted the role of creating skins which "individualize" the forums from one another. Maybe it doesn't seperate them like the Pirate forum, however it is the first step in the process.

i already feel like i don't know some of the new pirate fans :-/

I'm wondering how many of the 710 Eurobricks user do you know? You've only been here for about 4 or 5 months!

After thinking more about it, I think it indeed would be over-organized, a common community forum is okay, an apart pirate community forum wouldn't do any good, sorry willy...

I don't shun the idea of this kind of sub-forum, afterall I've already created one but its hidden from everyone who is not an administrator. I just don't feel that the Pirate forum is ready for that kind of sub-forum yet and given by the user responses the majority feels the same way. But maybe one day in the future things will be different.

Remember, the only thing constant is change.

I don't shun the idea of this kind of sub-forum, afterall I've already created one but its hidden from everyone who is not an administrator. I just don't feel that the Pirate forum is ready for that kind of sub-forum yet and given by the user responses the majority feels the same way. But maybe one day in the future things will be different.

Remember, the only thing constant is change.

i also don't know why we'd need another community section, really... are pirates too shy to post their new purchases in the general community, to shy to tell us what movie they saw last? What would be in there that for some reason, cannot be posted in the general forum?

We're trying to consolidate all Pirate related posts within this forum so users don't have to visit several different forums to access all the pirate information. If the movie has nothing to do with pirates then a Pirate user should post in the Culture & Multimedia forum.