Rate the set  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Vote your opinion

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding
  2. 2. Should TLG have released this set?

• Heck yes
    • No in a zillion years

indexed.gif

Sorry, I couldn't see how to make this a poll!

Name: Mini Snowspeeder

Theme: Star Wars Minis

Year: 2008

Pieces: 66

Minifigs: None

Price: Unknown, as it was never officially released (to my knowledge!)

For some reason, I recently decided to try and make this set from the Instructions which you can get from Lego.com and after a couple of Bricklink orders, I was able to do so. Please find my review below ...

First up, given that there isn't a "packshot" for this set (as it's unreleased), is all the parts laid out (minus the spares, I didn't think it necessary to buy the spares!!) :

3807585842_b9afe822f7.jpg

Not a bad selection, all in all. Nothing particularly rare either, making this set perfectly buildable for anyone with a few spare parts.

The first page of the instructions builds the main body of the snowspeeder :

3807586010_9546031783.jpg

With this scale, I think they achieved the shape of the cockpit pretty well. It may have looked better if they'd had the 2 x 1 cheese slopes at the time of production (I *think* they've only come along pretty recently?!).

Next up, you build the wings :

3806769781_52e3cf7159.jpg

Yet more use of the ever brilliant cheese slopes to create the shape here. I'm not sure why we need the Orange round plates on the front ... maybe for a bit of colour? But I guess you can just take those off if you want to.

3806769825_913dddba40.jpg

In order to create the angle of the wings, there are a couple of plates added underneath each one. These stop the wings from becoming too angled.

And here's the final model ... not a bad looking set all in all, although there's just something, that I can't put my finger on, that's not quite right, towards the back?! Maybe I've just got a distorted view based on the minifigure scale sets we've had in the past?!

3806769515_c8d06317c1.jpg

3807585964_6b76dae0fb.jpg

The Ratings :

Playability/Swooshability : 10/10 (very swooshable indeed)

Design : 9/10 (as I said, there's just something that's not quite right ... and could use the 2 x 1 slopes nowadays)

Price : 8/10 (as you can't buy this officially and the re-sellers on Bricklink are charging too much for the parts, although you can, like me, just buy the parts yourself)

Overall : 9/10 (A few flaws, but pretty good overall)

If you have the parts or have the patience to go through the Bricklink inventory to get the bits you need then I would say go for it.

nb : this is quite possibly my first "proper" review for Star Wars, so I hope it's ok :)

Edited by KimT
poll added

I think they had a set like that about 5-6 years ago.

From, Go Cubs Go! :grin:

Right here. It was released in '03

Great review Big Pete. I can see what you mean, it's so small, it just lacks that certain charm that the snowspeeder has. Nonetheless, it is a nice little set, too bad it wasn't released.

I think they had a set like that about 5-6 years ago.

From, Go Cubs Go! :grin:

there is a slight difference is size & scale though? ;)

3807332531_46f36f861d.jpg

it looks more like the tydrium shuttle cockpit. maybe we can call this a midi-sized model?

maybe we can call this a midi-sized model?

Could be. Great review. I made this on LDD and it looks pretty good, much better than the real MINI set. I think this set was released in Japan or something as a promo or freebie. :wink:

Great review and great pics, looks like a sweet little set they should have released here.