Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Brickster's 1st Pirate MOC

Alas: I've joined the ranks in the Stockade to share my first Pirate MOC, Port Mead. It does not have a story or characters at this time, but rather is just my modest attempt tp build a small Pirate port.

With photo background:

2.jpg

Another angle:

3.jpg

Mr. Brickster, how nice it is to visit us here with this MOC in hand!

It Looks good *y*, fairly simple but still nice. The tower has a nice color scheme but I'll have to think about the smaller buildings a bit more. I hope you can get some more pictures of it, as that is all I can say right now.

Cool "Box Art" BTW.

Very neat mocMr.Brickster!!! It's good to have you here. The crane is a cool design and one I've never seen before. The dock is nice and filled with life. Good job on your first pirate moc!

I like it, small, simple... reminds me of a side port at a major town with canals or something... cool.

I like the simplicity and the choice of colors. Is there any pictures of the interiors?

Is that new brown used for the piers?

I like the Lagoon Lockup feel, and I love that crane! What a great piece of building, so simple and yet very ingenious, I'm going to have to play around with a crane design myself now... I also like the relative positioning of the docks and the fig selection. Good work!

God Bless,

Nathan

I like the simplicity and the choice of colors. Is there any pictures of the interiors?

Is that new brown used for the piers?

If you look close enough, I think you can see a few bricks are reddish brown (new brown) but most are something else... and that still doesn't match with the cannon wheels, or barrels. Hmmm... 3 shades of brown? I think the cannon wheels, barrels and chests are old brown, faded, the dock is old brown not faded and then there is some new brown too!

Pretty good little fella there, You did a good job of position everything and adding some nice details. Someone already said it looks like "box art" and I have to agree, very nicely done!

Thanks for the comments. To be honest with all of you, I can't wait to destroy and try building it again from scratch. I like the overall placement of buildings, but I'm not crazy about the building design. The tower is a little too large. The middle building (boat shop), I may leave open, and for the white/yellow building to the right, I was trying to achieve a classic house design with pirate parts, but it didn't work so well. I'm going to try again.

This MOC uses some very old pieces (that I had to dig out of the old classic collection). The blue base plate is from the old Coast Guard set (575). The yellow door and fences comes from the old Police Station (381), and most of the pirate pieces from the Carribean Clipper (6274). In regard to the brown, it's the old brown that comes from the bulk brown plate set (10150). Someone had commented that it looks like both. They should all be the same -it's probably the lighting or my camera.

Thanks for the feedback. I need to go back to the "drawing board" and put on my pirate hat.

In regard to the brown, it's the old brown that comes from the bulk brown plate set (10150). Someone had commented that it looks like both. They should all be the same -it's probably the lighting or my camera.

Hmmm... so I will stick with my original theory, the dock is mostly old brown, not faded and the pirate pieces are faded old brown. I still think you have a couple of reddish brown pieces in there though, such as the piece with the cannon balls on it, and the last step to enter the classic house.

Lets have a look at this "Port Mead"

2.jpg

I shall admit this is probably better than any Pirate Port MOC I've made because really I haven't made any. Is that sad? :'-(

The first thing that's got me pondering is "colour harmony". I.e. are these colours working together? Are they supposed to work together I am not sure. But the red door and window frame does contrast with the green window shutters which in turn contrasts the the grey building.

The next thing I ponder if this is "Brickster's Pirates" why is there such a strong Imperial Soldier presence?

I shall go away for a while and ponder these matters further...

Though I would question the color scheme to a certain extent, if each building is owner independently, that would explain why the colors are not standard across the board. Though I don't really think gray and yellow, gray and red is okay!

This MOC has a nice (pirate/imperial) atmosphere.

I like the background you used for presenting it.

There is still some room for improvements but you have great potential ;-)

I really hope to see more pirate MOCs from you.

OK, I destroyed my initial MOC to create a 2nd design. This one I like much better, and it actually has the boathouse I was looking to create.

Phes had mentioned that the port looks more like an Imperial Navy Port but the image says "TheBrickster's Pirates". This is meant to refer to the theme, not the MOC itself. It is actually a Naval Port (no story yet as I'm still working on my pirate design techniques. Thank you all for your feedback on the 1st design.

b2.jpg

I like this one much better too particularly because the colours don't contrast so much, however I probably wouldn't have made the building on the left blue because its the same colour as the water. A more neutral colour like white or possibly tan to avoid repetition since the boat shed is also white.

The boat shed however is a wonderful idea for a set and for some reason such a structure never occurred to me. I might steal that idea one Brickster :-D

Cool MOC's mate, I also like the second one better. I also wanted to build a port with boathouse, but it would be for big boats.... and I didn't have parts for that...

b2.jpg

The boat shed however is a wonderful idea for a set and for some reason such a structure never occurred to me. I might steal that idea one Brickster :-D

No problem. Think about what might be used in a nautical scene? A fishing village or port? I think Dock 13 in the Spiderman set 7045 Hovercraft Hideout could almost be considered a boat house. Historically, some were pretty simple so for Lego builders like me, not so hard to replicate.

7045-1.jpg

Here's a few inspiration images:

NZ%20boathouse%201%20ws.jpg

Seul%20Choix%20Boathouse.jpg

b2.jpg

No problem. Think about what might be used in a nautical scene? A fishing village or port? I think Dock 13 in the Spiderman set 7045 Hovercraft Hideout could almost be considered a boat house. Historically, some were pretty simple so for Lego builders like me, not so hard to replicate.

7045-1.jpg

Here's a few inspiration images:

Seul%20Choix%20Boathouse.jpg

Thanks, but I actually mean a ship-house, or ship yard, must be big enough for this ship...

I would stick to a shipyard rather than a boathouse for that nicely crafted schooner. I don't think a building that size would look all that spectacular. A shipyard scene launching the boat would do it justice though.

A vast improvement, and I quite like the first one. The tower works nicely (even though I normally don't like grey imperial structures, the boathouse is nice, and the blue/yellow building is very pretty. Great work!

God Bless,

Nathan

Would I be nitpicking too much if I said I'd prefer if the tower on the left was white (maybe some yellow for variation) with grey plates for the floors and the cannon had a red base?

As you can see I'm stuck in a world where Imperial Guard structures are the same colour scheme and they are in official LEGO sets...

Would I be nitpicking too much if I said I'd prefer if the tower on the left was white (maybe some yellow for variation) with grey plates for the floors and the cannon had a red base?

Do you mean the first or the second version??? And BTW, I think the red cannon bases were mostly on ships...

New moc looks awsome to! Good job. The boathous looks cool, and if anyone is going to steal it, the Imperials will just have to use their cannon :-D !

More like a mudboat housse, hehee! Nice pics right there The Brickster. Again, good job on your moc!