Sign in to follow this  
Bonaparte

UPDATE: HMS Prince of Wales

Yes, I'm still building with Lego and not only talking about Lego on Eurobricks. Last year at the end of October I started a project which later got the name "HMS Prince of Wales". For a period of 5 months I've been building and still the project is work in progress. However, I'm seeing a light at the end of the tunnel so I'll share some teaser pics of the project.

This weekend my friends Captain Green Hair, Errorist and Zorro came over to my place and we had some good fun working together on the ship. During this project the Captain has been my adviser and without him I wouldn't be halve this happy with the looks of my MOC. But more on that when the ship is ready for the public.

Here we have the good Captain working on the sails. My ungrateful self is behind him, ready to whip the lad to make him work faster. Faster you lazy dog!!! :devil:

wip1.jpg

And this is the real CGH @work making a sail for the ship:

wip2.jpg

Myself and CGH side by side on a platform in a mast of the ship. Rigging is still ongoing!

wip3.jpg

And the final picture shows both Errorist and CGH. If you come closer to your screen you might see a glimpse of the ship through the fog.

wip4.jpg

To be continued...

EDIT Bonaparte:

I finally finished all the ropes going next to the masts. The word in Dutch is "staande wanden", if only I knew the English term.

Anyway, here's one of the 3 masts to show what I'm talking about.

standing-walls.jpg

At this moment around 100m of rope went into the ship and I'm far from finished rigging!

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun there! It is a cool idea to build a ship with several people.

And Bonaparte is very grateful for all the help CGH gives! :pir-tongue:

For so far what I can spot through the fog it is quite a nice vessel! I can see on the rigging it's large as well.

I'm not sure, but is the coloursheme black and yellow? I really like that colours on a ship.

I've tried to make rigging myself too on the "Le Formidable", but it seems to be Bonaparte has found the perfect solution to make an excellent rigging: Hire the rigging master CGH himself.

So far so good shall we say, this is a very promising project and I'm very curious to the next update!

Keep it up guys! :thumbup:

I think that Capt.Green Hair should die his hair green in real life, that would be awesome. :pir-tongue:

I would like to see further updates.... .soon :wink:

post-5669-1238530537.jpg

That ships' rigging looks fantastic! My string rigging didn't work out as well as yours did! Even this is a secret, can you tell me the colour scheme?

It will look great when it is finished! I like the masts (only parts you actually showed). :pir_laugh2: Is it tan and black? I can just make out the brick at the front of the vessel and it definitely looks like tan. But then I can see yellow on the third photo. :pir_wacko: Am I going colour blind? :pir-blush:

Greetings,

JD

Yes it was another weekend to go into the books.

My back still hurts from all the hard work...

But working on the ship again was great fun, last time he brought it to Holland even. :pir-grin:

I've made a tutorial on the string rigging, it might be helpful. :pir-wink:

There's still some early WIP pictures on BS, like this one:

color-shema.jpg

Not gonna give away the colorscheme though :pir-grin:

Not gonna give away the colorscheme though :pir-grin:

I've blurred that picture a bit so we don't reveal too much of my top secret project :pir-laugh:

But for those who asked, it will be an English ship-of-the-line with a traditional black and yellow color scheme.

About the rigging, I must say I was lucky finding the right rope. It's the same material as was used on these ships in real life (dutch name: Vlas). This evening I was able to make some good progress with the rigging. I expect phase to be finished in 7 to 14 days. Once that's done I'll start working on the sails.

I expect phase to be finished in 7 to 14 days. Once that's done I'll start working on the sails.

You are going to be ready before we get the chance to build a bit on this beauty again :pir_bawling:

Still, being able to participate a little in this project was a lot of fun and I sure hope we can conjure up something similar in the future.

Ps: CGH are you absolutely sure it was all of the hard work that made your back ache? :pir-tongue:

Greetings,

Errorist

You are going to be ready before we get the chance to build a bit on this beauty again :pir_bawling:

Still, being able to participate a little in this project was a lot of fun and I sure hope we can conjure up something similar in the future.

Ps: CGH are you absolutely sure it was all of the hard work that made your back ache? :pir-tongue:

Greetings,

Errorist

Jumping to the sounds of the band all night might have had a part in it too.. :pir_laugh2:

Looks good so far. Rigging looks great... Oh the rudder looks familiar. I wish I could finish the sang royale and we could present ours together... No fair you can have the master ship builders help work on your ship.... I had some MSN help. Keep it up buddy.

-T

God this looks great! I have pretty good eyes :pir-tongue: I just totaly cant wait until its finished. :pir-blush:

Edited by Genaral armendariz

i meant to ask yesterday - what do you guys use for sail material??

for rigging i've bought 1 and 2 mm diameter black waxed cord - i'll see what it looks like and if i dont like it - i'll change to something like what you are using

all the best

Matt

i meant to ask yesterday - what do you guys use for sail material??

The sails are made from white sheets which have been in a bath of coffee and tea for getting the desired color. I made them once myself for my previous ship (L'Orient), but the ones for the HMS Prince of Wales are a gift from Captain Green Hair.

Mabey you could have prince_of_wales_large.jpg as the figurehead then:P

Looking good so far ... well what I can make out so far :pir-wink:

For sure this won't be our last project. It was really relaxing working on the ship together, nice way to recuperate from a though night with too much beers :-)

Looks good so far. Rigging looks great... Oh the rudder looks familiar. I wish I could finish the sang royale and we could present ours together... No fair you can have the master ship builders help work on your ship.... I had some MSN help. Keep it up buddy.

-T

Yes, the rudder is something I've seen on your ship. As a matter of fact, I've used a lot of stuff I've seen all around and which I liked on this ship. I'll need to give lost of credits once I post the final result :pir_laugh2:

Mabey you could have prince_of_wales_large.jpg as the figurehead then:P

Looking good so far ... well what I can make out so far :pir-wink:

The title Prince of Wales is timeless and I don't particularly associate with the current Prince of Wales. Rather the opposite :pir-classic:

Will this be on EB Pirates?

If you are talking about the comic from CGH, probably not.

Looks great! Hope to see more.

Thanks Kinzcove, or was it Revolutionary, or Napoleon, now wait, it's Sir Wellington now :pir-hmpf_bad:

If you are talking about the comic from CGH, probably not.

Aw, I wanted to see it in some battle! :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Genaral armendariz

Any news on this oh great Emperor?

I finally finished all the ropes going next to the masts. The word in Dutch is "staande wanden", if only I knew the English term.

Anyway, here's one of the 3 masts to show what I'm talking about.

standing-walls.jpg

At this moment around 100m of rope went into the ship and I'm far from finished rigging!