WesternOutlaw

Favorite Adventure Subtheme

Favorite Adventure Subtheme  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Adventure subtheme?

• Amazon Jungle
    • Dino Island
    • Egyptian Desert
    • Orient Expedition - China
    • Orient Expedition - India
    • Orient Expedition - Mount Everest
    • I hate the Adventure Theme
    • I can't decide because I like them all

From the dinosaur infested jungles of Dino Island, along the crocodile infested waters of the Amazon Jungle, through the hidden tombs of the pharaohs in the Egyptian Desert, following elephant caravans through India, along the highest snow-covered peaks of Mount Everest, to the mystical shrines and temples of China, Johny Thunder has ventured.

Of these wonderful but treacherous places, where is your favorite expedition? Choose your favorite Adventure Subtheme noting why you like it best.

The Dragon Fortress is the best castle set Lego has released since CC glory days. *wub* It may be my favourite single Lego set. Period.

The pictures don't do it justice. It is a much more detailed set than you get from the pictures, and doesn't look as empty as all the KK castles.

7419-1.jpg

Fun to build, lots of figs including two nice girl figs, beautiful set to look at, kids love to play with the dragon and the secret gate. Impossible to get new on eBay for anything less than 50-100% or more over retail. I have two of them, and would buy more if I could get at a reasonable price. I know they were on sale in England last year. If any EBers picked them up cheap, and want to sell or trade with me.... c'mon down!

THIS set is a big reason why I want Adventurers back for another trip around the world. This theme left on the higest note of all, and just hope they come back and somehow top this set. Probably it's not possible.

See reviews here.

http://www.kecia.dk/brickportal/forum/inde...t=ST&f=45&t=718

and here:

http://www.brickset.com/search.aspx?Set=7419-1

I know some people will like the Egypt theme, but their big set, Pharoah's Ruins, is nowhere near as nice to to look at, and does not have nearly as fun and a clever mechanism as The Fortress.

The Dragon Fortress is a remarkable set. I liked this so much that I never opened the box. It's one of a few sets that I'm saving. Very nice. I also like the Emperor's ship very well (esp the secret cargo compartment). The Chinese figs (as well as the other Orient Expedition sets) were very nicely done.

I don't have the large Egyptian set, but I did vote for the Egyptian Desert Subtheme. The smaller sets were my first Adventure sets and although I love the entire Orient Expedition subtheme, I really enjoyed first buying the desert sets when the movie Mummy came out.

I do wish Lego would expand or re-visit the Adventure theme. I love all the adventure subthemes (with the exception of Dino Island that is just OK (most of the sets lack detail and good design). But I'd love to see the Adventure theme once again.

Such a tough question. I really like them all. Orient was very well done and had some very nice sets. Egypt was great too because it was the first and we got lots of new stuff in nice sets. Amazon was probably the weakest, set wise. Though the river boat was very cool. Dino Island was, in my opinion, rather good, with the exception of the Track Master set.

Steve

I voted for China. Great sets (as mentioned), great figs AND parts (gotta love the lance)

Egypt would be Second on the list for the awesome parts (coffin, detailed printed bricks, pharoh's head dress, etc)

Third on my list would be india (gotta love the scimitars)

egyptian theme was so great... when lego canceled the western and pirates in 1998, this was the only theme saving me that year. it did a wonderful job of letting me down easy !!!

but then i was let down again, because the adventures moved to the amazon jungle... and achu just wasn't that cool. just a weak version of the great islanders.

dinos sucked, and disgraced the adventures theme... all of the orient was good, but i had stopped buying legos during the time of their release, so i am not as familiar with them...

i voted egyptian desert !!! bm

I voted Amazon Jungle, because it reminds me soooo much of the frist 10 minutes of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Ok, so maybe that's not the real reason! Simply remove Johnny Thunder and co. plus all their modern equipment and vehicles then replace them with the 17th century equivalent. Governor Broadside commissions the daring adventurer Fernado Plume to go in search of lost treasures before the greedy Imperial Armada or obnoxious pirates can find them first...

Maybe this idea will be visited in one of my future MOCs....

For me that's Egypt, hands down. I've always been really enthousiastic about TLC making historical theme. Even if the adventurers aren't really aimed at bringing knowledge about ancient cultures to the kids (sadly...), they contain all the good accessories and bricks requiered. Not to mention those cool sarcophagus and pharao minifigs *skull*

I like them all, basically. I voted for OE:China though. The Dragon Fortress looks awesome, and the overall look is just a bit better then the others. The Egyptian Desert is nice, but just doesn't do it for me...

What was The LEGO Company thinking with Dino Island? Is it just me or are those some of the worst LEGO sets from the 90's?

5987-1.jpg

That set is horrible everything!

Yeah definitely! The design is also very poor and in places it reminds me of those builder sets intended for 5 year olds. It looks so horrible I find it hard to believe that is actually a LEGO set! Am I being too dramatic there?

Bad design and just a mish-mash of parts. It almost looks like something you build with a bulk set of bricks (but worse). The only thing good from this theme were the figs and the dinos.

I had to go with Everest because the figs were brilliant and the sets were great value... India and Egypt wouldbe my runners up. At the time I couldn't buy the amazon sets because they were so incomplete but in hindsight I wishI had just for their great selection of castle/pirate/ruins friendly parts...

God Bless,

Nathan

I went with Ancient Egypt. I've always loved the set designs and figures. They're also great parts packs, as even some of the most tiny sets have something of value! I only wish I had the money to get some of the biggest sets..... Double *y* for Egypt!

Oh, and my personall opinion is that all the Anventures themes have something of value, and most are pretty good!

I voted for the India sets because they gave us cool new torsos for minifigs, turbans in lots of sweet colors, and elephants. Oh yea, the palace also came with those big white half-onion type things, so that's another good thing about them. The Scorpion Palace is one of the only big sets that I've bought two of.

I voted for the Jungle theme, which I loved when it first came out. Now that I look back at some of the sets, I think the Orient might be better value, but behind my castle and western sets, the jungle sets were my favorite. Then when the Dino sets came out, and I lost intrest in Adventures. *sad* When the Oreint sets came out, I bought the Scorpion palace, and back came my love for the sets. Now, I hope TLC will come out with more Adventures sets. *wub*

I had to go for China, I love the colour scheme of the Temple and Gate *wub* And those Chinese Soldiers are just amazing figs !!

This was hard to decide seeing Egypt in the poll. Since I only have 1 Egypt set, I went for China

*yoda*

I like this mini-figure...

5906-1.jpg

I've got one somewhere but I can't remember where I put it!

Awesome figure. It really makes me wish Lego would release a Conquistadors line... with Azteks!

I like this mini-figure...

I've got one somewhere but I can't remember where I put it!

I also have mine set aside in some special place... I guess it is that kind of fig, really cool to hold but I can never find a use for him in one of my MOCs...

God Bless,

Nathan

What's with all the dino island hating? I love every one of the sets from Island Racer upwards, as the small sets are just crap, but that's not important.

It's not hate. Most people just like the other subthemes better. I know I do, even though I don't have any experiences with the older Adventurers, just the Orient Expedition. To me, ancient ruins beat Jurassic Park anyday. :wink:

That's a great topic and poll, TheBrichster!

It's a shame that I firstly detected it now! :blush:

I really like the Adventures theme although I did only buy very few sets which don't exist yet in my Lego collection.

I voted for

Egyptian Desert :wub:

since Egypts' tombs, pyramides, temples, tomb raiders, etc. were always something very interesting, mystical and fasctinating for me in my childhood as well as even now. Imo TLG did brilliantly degisn the sets in this theme since they all looked very realistic and without much fantasy! :thumbup:

But if TLG releases a new adventures theme I hope it'll be more like a historical theme - meaning tomb raiders at the time directly after pharao were put into their graves. And there should be more Egyptian monumental buildings and great vehicles (such as the ship for the dead pharaos).

Klaus-Dieter