SkaForHire

Oasis Town of Al'Derak

Hello all, I have been working on this for a while, and it keeps getting larger, so I just needed to stop!

The pictures are not the best, I do not have a good macro lens, but hopefully you all can see much of it.

Al'Derak

Al'Derak lies upon one of the few roads to the fabled and gilded Kaliphlin city of Lost Vega. Originally it was a small well on the side of a hill, travelers found the water due to the larger palm trees that sprang from the hill. For centuries the waterhole had been used by travelers along the road. When the great oil boom came to Kaliphlin it was discovered that oil could be found within 15 miles of Al'Derak in almost any direction. For this reason, the Greater Eastgate Articles & Rations Company set up a blacksmith shop at the site of the only fresh water in the vicinity. The smith forged crucial parts for the oil gathering process, and the waterhole continued to provide workers and travelers with much needed sustenance. About 15 years ago something drastically changed, the large palms started to die and this was a sure sign that the water was running out. This brought the region to a standstill in oil production because it was too hard and expensive to bring water from far off oases to the Al'Derak region. About a year later, GEAR Co. Second in command and high mage, Petera MacLean cast a water delving spell on the well and discovered that, indeed, there was still water left deep within the rock. With this knowledge, Dugal MacLean commissioned dwarven tunnelers to delve deep into the sands to find the precious liquid. It took a few weeks but soon the spring was flowing more than ever. GEAR CO bought the land, and introduced a pump system that controlled the flow into a catch pool.

The abundance of water allowed GEAR CO to come up with some other capitalist endeavors along the way. Because Al'Derak is on the way to one of the greatest and richest cities in the whole world, Lost Vega, many travelers would pass by it looking for refreshment. Soon GEAR established a small inn and built a bathhouse to suit the needs of these travelers. GEAR also built a small market to sell food and wares to travelers and the occasional oil worker that made their way into town. Due to fights between oil workers and travelers, there is no tavern in the town proper. However, most oil camps have their own small establishments.

Al'Derak is currently ran by a former high seas officer, Captain Locklind. He serves as magistrate and chief operator of all the establishments. Today, we catch the small town while they are being visited by Petera MacLean.

6621055453_70959ff94c.jpg

DSC_0933 by princeofska, on Flickr

One overview pic.

6621150027_930390cc8e.jpg

DSC_0903 by princeofska, on Flickr

Another overview.

6621229347_41e9d04e87.jpg

DSC_0915 by princeofska, on Flickr

A look at the water queue, the well on the hill, and part of the inn. You can see the main road through town makes a 90 degree bend between the well and the Inn.

Water is free to the inhabitants of the town. It is free to those staying at the inn, and to those oil workers in the surrounding parts. However, stockpiling water for travel comes at a price. The queue is open during all daylight hours, and is regulated by a guard. To the right, in front of the Inn we can see an Avalonian merchant wagon taking something down the road - is it water or oil? both are just as precious out here.

6621116663_645df3daa8.jpg

DSC_0899 by princeofska, on Flickr

The bathhouse without its roof on. I am extremely limited on white since I have not taken apart my Watchtower yet, so the top portion of the bathhouse has colored glass to let varying light into the pools.

6621334753_de3fea1e98.jpg

DSC_0935 by princeofska, on Flickr

A look at the Blacksmith complex. One of the smith's teaches his son about the many uses of the hammer. The complex has a shop that sits underneath the magistrates lodging. The Magistrate's patio is actually on top of the smith housing. The shop is an open air shop, and is heavily guarded at night by guards provided by GEAR Co. The Magistrate's quarters are also open air, but are one of the largest permanent living spaces for miles around. He is treated and paid well to make sure the oasis functions.

6621281715_0b324d92af.jpg

DSC_0924 by princeofska, on Flickr

Still, there is some disappointment here. Petera MacLean's inspection has revealed that Captain Locklind has been putting too much of the treasure into his own pockets and not into the establishment. Not only is the inn dirty and understaffed, more egregiously, he has skimped on guards for the whole town. Petera, and his bodyguard Cannondale pictured guarding the stairs, have counted only three guards for the whole premises! One at the well, one at the inn, and another mercenary Mountain Mummy (Petera doesn't trust mountain mummies away from their home in the mountains) guarding the watchtower. Locklind has not even bothered to staff the watchtower!

6621158327_d95007c464.jpg

DSC_0904 by princeofska, on Flickr

6621184725_b2caa2388a.jpg

DSC_0907 by princeofska, on Flickr

Furthermore, Locklind has been lax in his overseeing of the blacksmith's shop here. As seen in this picture as one of the smiths skips work for some personal time with his current fling (boy those muscles from smithing really gets Lucky Lou the ladies!) There are broken drill bits on Kaliphlin rigs that have been out of commission for weeks now, and Locklind can't seem to keep the smiths forging.

6621193697_ea7b41a48d.jpg

DSC_0909 by princeofska, on Flickr

From this angle, you can see that some of the housing and storage in Al'Derak is temporary or tent. This small storage tent owned by a successful Petrea Merchant has a permanent wind breaking wall built out of mud behind it to cause less damage from the harsh Southeast winds. You can also see the open market that GEAR Co built to supply travelers.

6621133307_028a43ee9d.jpg

DSC_0901 by princeofska, on Flickr

Perhaps more memorable than it's crystal waters, Al'Derak has a distinctive advertisement in the middle of the town. Five years ago, after more and more travel on the road came from oil-seekers rather than pilgrims to Lost Vega, proprietors of that City decided to create an advertising campaign. They began construction large signs pointing the way to Lost Vega from many miles away. To the point where almost every town in Kaliphlin has some sort of advertisement from Lost Vega in it. Some of the more sensible minded Kaliphlins limit these signs to the outsides of their cities, but GEAR CO was happy to take the Lost Vegans' monthly advertisement fees to leave the sign in the middle of the town. (This began as a joke, when my real life brother [scarst, a member of Mitgardia] was visiting he constructed the original sign and planted it into the middle of the oasis I was building. I thought it was kind of funny, and left it there.)

6621220207_8fd50ab178.jpg

DSC_0914 by princeofska, on Flickr

The inn, as viewed from underneath the sign. I did not take a straight on picture of the inn, but I wanted to note that those were not all stables underneath. There are actually three open three - walled rooms that travelers wishing to spend only a little amount of money on could bunk with other travelers. (Since not many Kaliphlinians use traditional beds, the term bunk is used loosely, they can share floor space.) For those wishing to avoid snakes and scorpions and spend a little more coin, the upstairs is an open bunking facility that is guarded 24/7 (or at least supposed to be) by a town guard. One can purchase space within that common room for a higher fee.

6621166755_f43c562805.jpg

DSC_0905 by princeofska, on Flickr

The watchtower.

The rest of the flickr gallery

So, Petera's visit was successful, he found out why the smiths were not working up to efficiency, and that a change in leadership at Al'Derak was desperately needed. Locklind may have to try his hand on the seas again - Petera would prefer to banish the wasteful and greedy man to the sea of sands and the People of the Flame (TO BE REVEALED LATER) but his brother Dugal is more lenient and appreciates what Locklind has done on the seas over the years (the reason why he had this promotion to begin with...) Only time will tell where Captain Locklind will end up and who will eventually take over this small, yet bustling, town of Al'Derak.

Edited by SkaForHire

Really great MOC!

Nice and pretty to watch detailing!

But if the counting of my Ninjascout is right, at this moment there are more Avalonian soldiers then Kaliphlin Guards in Al'Derak? I just sent some Desert Guards to the small oasis to help guarding it until reinforcements arrives!!

Really great MOC!

Nice and pretty to watch detailing!

But if the counting of my Ninjascout is right, at this moment there are more Avalonian soldiers then Kaliphlin Guards in Al'Derak? I just sent some Desert Guards to the small oasis to help guarding it until reinforcements arrives!!

Exactly, that is why my brother Petera is so concerned! The town is overrun by foreigners! We will have to fire the current magistrate.

Exactly, that is why my brother Petera is so concerned! The town is overrun by foreigners! We will have to fire the current magistrate.

And make a law like the law in Mpya Stedor that says traders may have a maximum of 2 soldiers with them in the cityarea :laugh:

I wish all the best to the town of Al'Derak, I hope it to be a prosperous settlement like it use to be. I will send some guards to your town aswell, courtesy of the Maharaja Dayalu Hrdaya of Samrd'dha, but where exactly is it, I am aware of it's exhistance but do not know exactly where, could you point it out on a map please so I can tell the guards where to go.

All the best,

Kcaj Nosnikta

(Very nice town, love the roofs and great story and picture quality is good too. The only thing is the balcony on the inn looks a bit funny with those goblets but other than that Great job!)

(Very nice town, love the roofs and great story and picture quality is good too. The only thing is the balcony on the inn looks a bit funny with those goblets but other than that Great job!)

Thank you! I know, the balconies are funny, I had absolutely nothing to make railings, and I am not even sure how I would go about doing it at that angle. The goblets with a 1x1 round flat piece looked ornamental, but don't really provide much function. Still, I needed some sort of rail, so that is what I came up with. I don't remember seeing a technique for making rail at an angle like that, any body with an idea on this?

As for where the town is located, If I knew where Lost Vega was, I could place it on the map! :) Until Kaliphlin decides where that is, it may be hard to find this town.

Thank you! I know, the balconies are funny, I had absolutely nothing to make railings, and I am not even sure how I would go about doing it at that angle. The goblets with a 1x1 round flat piece looked ornamental, but don't really provide much function. Still, I needed some sort of rail, so that is what I came up with. I don't remember seeing a technique for making rail at an angle like that, any body with an idea on this?

As for where the town is located, If I knew where Lost Vega was, I could place it on the map! :) Until Kaliphlin decides where that is, it may be hard to find this town.

Yeah I know at those angles are difficult even if just using bricks it still doesn't look as good, now you could use some of these 6005.gif attatched to headlights and if there is a gap bridge it with a tile or 48092.gif should be the right size and both are available in tan on bricklink however the second one is about half the price.

Is Lost Vega your idea too? If so you could choose the spots yourself, that's what most of us have done.

Yeah I know at those angles are difficult even if just using bricks it still doesn't look as good, now you could use some of these 6005.gif attatched to headlights and if there is a gap bridge it with a tile or 48092.gif should be the right size and both are available in tan on bricklink however the second one is about half the price.

Is Lost Vega your idea too? If so you could choose the spots yourself, that's what most of us have done.

That is a good idea, on my next bricklink order I will have to look into those. Also, something I have build needs to come down, the Tower and this town take up almost all of my tan and all of my white, and the embassy I plan to start after my vacation next week is going to be in Mitgardia, so I will need at least the white.

No, Lost Vega was thrown around in the guild thread even before I joined, it might actually be a joke, I am not sure though.

That is a good idea, on my next bricklink order I will have to look into those. Also, something I have build needs to come down, the Tower and this town take up almost all of my tan and all of my white, and the embassy I plan to start after my vacation next week is going to be in Mitgardia, so I will need at least the white.

No, Lost Vega was thrown around in the guild thread even before I joined, it might actually be a joke, I am not sure though.

I think Lost Vega is something mythically :D

There is no one Kaliphlin idiot who is looking after it (as far as I know). It's only to tease adventurers of other Guild to come and search for it in the desert (very good for our tourism and travellingagencies) :laugh:

So if I was you, just pick a place at the map and let the location of Lost Vega to be unknown :)

Of course you may hold the roadsigne as it is really good for attracting tourists to your town :thumbup:

I think I'll make a small house in Mpya Stedor where adventurers can prepare their journeys ($$$) :tongue:

Ska so Al'derak is your town, you could do what others have done and put it on the map. Like my city of Samrd'dha.

And I think a travel agency is a great idea, I thought about having some kind of tourist information kiosk thing in my embassy.

I really like this. The use of the white wheelarch pieces on the bath-house is very effective, and the water feature is a great touch. Looking at pictures of many palaces and courts in India and Turkey, water fountains and pools and channels were very common features and often beautifully designed.

The story is great too, that blacksmith should be disciplined severely!

My take on Lost Vega is, it`s lost. The PGTC absolutely does not have secret warehouses there full of magical artefacts of terrible power.

:classic:

Ska so Al'derak is your town, you could do what others have done and put it on the map. Like my city of Samrd'dha.

And I think a travel agency is a great idea, I thought about having some kind of tourist information kiosk thing in my embassy.

The problem with that is that I already have Eastgate ;) I did not want to hog more cities! This began as just an oasis and grew to a town, but I figure we probably have room for a bunch of small towns. Also, anyone who wants can "add" to it if they want. Also, I could see a small consulate or two there for the mining interests of other guilds.

I like having no restrictions on building, so my MOCs have been all over the place. My next free build are going to be the shipyards at Eastgate I think. But first I will build my embassy I think.

I'd say that Lost Vega is absolutely real. I try to get there at least once a year and enjoy the shows and the magical light show over the Strip, and lose a bit of money playing some four-black-wombat. I still think that game is rigged... However, LV is lost, at least to those outside of the Kaliphlin Guild. Therefore it certainly won't be appearing on any maps.

The problem with that is that I already have Eastgate ;) I did not want to hog more cities!

No problem there. There's plenty of room in Kaliphlin, especially in the deserts. Feel free to position Al'Derak somewhere, and I'll put it on the appropriate detail map. If you position it somewhere generally in the middle of Siccus, and say that it's within 250 miles of Lost Vega, then that probably means that LV could be almost anywhere.

Gex

I'd say that Lost Vega is absolutely real. I try to get there at least once a year and enjoy the shows and the magical light show over the Strip, and lose a bit of money playing some four-black-wombat. I still think that game is rigged... However, LV is lost, at least to those outside of the Kaliphlin Guild. Therefore it certainly won't be appearing on any maps.

No problem there. There's plenty of room in Kaliphlin, especially in the deserts. Feel free to position Al'Derak somewhere, and I'll put it on the appropriate detail map. If you position it somewhere generally in the middle of Siccus, and say that it's within 250 miles of Lost Vega, then that probably means that LV could be almost anywhere.

Gex

I suppose we could say Al'Derak is on the Oil Road, halfway between Au'ban Dran and the Cedrica Road

Edited by SkaForHire

Wonderfully colourful town, SkaForHire! I love the bathhouse, the striped roofs and the stairs up to the watchtower. :thumbup: The sign is a hilarious touch too! :laugh:

Your photos are fine, plenty sharp enough to make out everything, but the whole image suffers a bit from the busy background. If you can even hang a white sheet or something behind the model when you photograph it, that would help isolate your image heaps. :classic:

Wonderfully colourful town, SkaForHire! I love the bathhouse, the striped roofs and the stairs up to the watchtower. :thumbup: The sign is a hilarious touch too! :laugh:

Your photos are fine, plenty sharp enough to make out everything, but the whole image suffers a bit from the busy background. If you can even hang a white sheet or something behind the model when you photograph it, that would help isolate your image heaps. :classic:

Thank you!

I know, I need to do something about backgrounds - I keep shooting these large builds on that table, and it just isn't working. After my vacation next week, I will have to shop for some cheep white sheets.

Great moc ;)

but alas take my leave, I must go 100 miles to the right...

I know, I need to do something about backgrounds - I keep shooting these large builds on that table, and it just isn't working. After my vacation next week, I will have to shop for some cheep white sheets.

Get some black polyester cloth from a tailor shop. cheap and easy!