Sign in to follow this  
dunamis

Full Photo Review of 10190 Market Street

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Well, with the drought of new sets here in the United States and the faster-than-light ability of Yoda to crank out reviews, it has been a slow Spring and Summer for Dunamis. I've kind of been the 'Reviewer without a Set' if you will. So, when the folks over at the LEGO Store finally received the latest batch of the 10190 Market Street set (which sold out in 3 hours by the way) they woke me up via phone I skipped out of work early to buy this sucker right up. Of course, after I'm about 3/4 the way through the build and review I see that Legocastlegirl already wrote up a nice review. I figured you can never have too many opinions on sets these days so I'll serve up my ramblings anyway. As usual, feel free to comment, compare, gripe, complain and question my sanity.

Market Street Reviewed by Dunamis

Set 10190

1248 Pieces

$89.95 from LEGO Retail Store (Glendale, CA)

Build time 4.0 hours

The Box:

10190-1.jpg

The box itself is pretty standard with the two thumb tabs that you push in to open the box.

10190-3.jpg

That�s about where the standard ends. Note that the box graphics are pretty different than a normal set but is somewhat consistent with the other Factory sets. The set name is much smaller and �Factory� is displayed prominently. Very similar to the 10183 Hobby Train Set. Hopefully, we will see more modular house sets in the factory line. Here are a couple of more photos of the box:

10190-2.jpg

10190-4.jpg

As you can see on the back of the box, we get some additional photos as well as quite a bit of text and descriptions. I can usually count on one hand the number of words on a LEGO box. Obviously, this is quite a departure from the standard layout. Finally, it was strange not to see the piece count on the box. The age was listed at 10+.

Inside the box, the parts are in both the sealed bags and perforated bags (17 bags total.) There are also two baseplates, two bricks, two plates and one manual roaming free inside the box.

10190-5.jpg

10190-6.jpg

The Manual:

10190-7.jpg

The single manual has 84 pages. It is well laid out and meets the LEGO standard we have come to expect of late.

- Piece call outs for each step

- Parts inventory at the end of the manual

- Page numbers

Color separation between black and dark bley continues to be a problem for me. Since this seems to be an ongoing issue, it occurred to me that I could be the issue and not the manual. Judging by my wife�s reaction of my pant/shirt color selection when I get dressed in the morning, it could just be that I am somewhat color blind in that spectrum.

At any rate, if you don�t have any issue with differentiating black and dark bley in the manuals, then it is probably just me and you can ignore my ramblings. If you do have this same issue, then maybe we�re on to something.

Random manual photos

10190-9.jpg

10190-10.jpg

Parts list

10190-8.jpg

Overall, this is another fine effort from the LEGO manual designers.

The Pieces:

As with the Caf� Corner set, we get a ton of pieces in a wide range of colors. At first glance, you definitely will notice there are a lot of really small (1x1, 1x2, etc.) tiles and plates.

Again, LEGO has blessed us with two female minifigs and one male minifig. No doubt it would be nice to have more, but with the recent �build your own minifig� station at the LEGO stores and the availability of bricklink minifig reinforcements we easily populate this establishment with more.

10190-11.jpg

Opps, that�s not his real hair!

10190-13.jpg

That�s better�

Here are a couple of shots of the produce:

10190-17.jpg

10190-12.jpg

And the part everyone has been waiting for:

10190-21.jpg

Interesting to note that there seems to be a very small (but noticeable) slit below the stud on the 1x1 brick with headlight. I�ve never noticed this slit before seeing it in the parts in this set. Also interesting is that the slit is not consistent between the pieces. Look at the size of the slit on the left brick versus the middle and right bricks. It gets progressively bigger.

10190-20.jpg

Is this slit by design (i.e they changed the mold for this brick) or are we seeing more quality control issues?

I�ve also noticed some issues with the consistency of the colors in this set, especially with the light tan. As you might recall, this was a major complaint with the Caf� Corner set. However, the few clear doors that we get do not show the bubbles that almost all did in the Caf� Corner.

The Build:

As with the Caf� Corner, we have to put down some 1x1 tiles for the �brickwork� on the sidewalk. It is not as bad as Caf� Corner and actually goes pretty fast.

The first section built is the little one story garden/gated area. This has some interesting architectural components as see in the photo below:

10190-22.jpg

Next we move on to the house. One of the first things you will notice is the smartly designed curving staircase in the front. The architecture of the house is reminiscent of some older houses in the big cities on the East Coast of the United States. No doubt this can be seen in Europe as well, I just don�t know where�

The first floor is sits up a few bricks (hence the curved staircase outside to get up to it) and covers the � height basement. Lots of nice detail work on the stairs and railing remind you of the same detail of Caf� Corner.

10190-26.jpg

The individual floors build pretty quickly. Keep in mind this house is about � the size as the Caf� Corner. Again, we have some nice color selections on the 2nd floor and loft and plenty of windows. Here is what is left over:

10190-28.jpg

The Design:

From an external perspective, the design is very nice. The fact that the floors are modular makes it even better. You can remove the 2nd floor and even rotate the 2nd floor and loft and the model still works well. Of course, you can always change the floors or add your own additional floors as well.

The detail of this set is exceptional. From the railings on the balcony to the window awnings and to the roof patio with swivel chair, it has all been well thought out:

10190-23.jpg

10190-25.jpg

10190-32.jpg

Also note that the designer has maintained the consistency of Caf� Corner and when put together, the sets look great together:

10190-37.jpg

10190-40.jpg

Here is a photo of all six minifigs together (Market Street minifigs are on top)

10190-36.jpg

Note that two of the hairpieces are exactly the same, but the faces in Market Street are unique (i.e. not the plain smiles).

Now, from an internal perspective my opinion is that it is just too small. I�d like to add an interior but a majority of it is already consumed by the staircase which (unlike Caf� Corner) starts exactly in the center of the room on each floor. Then the staircase traverses the room effectively cutting it in half.

10190-31.jpg

10190-24.jpg

Now, that doesn�t mean you can�t make an interior. In fact, some really nice ones were already done in the latest version of Brickjournal. No doubt there are some creative people out that who will make some amazing floor and have no trouble with the stairs. I can�t wait to see these designs as they will be an inspiration to change my set. Of all the floors the loft is my favorite because of the balcony and patio.

As many of you know, I am more of a Star Wars fan so my additional photos are filled with minifigs of that theme:

10190-38.jpg

10190-39.jpg

Overall Thoughts:

A great set. Caf� Corner sets the standard and it is hard to live up to it. However, this is a very nice complimentary set and has some great design features. The light and dark blue is a nice change of pace as well. The minifigs are nice, but somewhat similar to Caf� Corner (two of the hairpieces between the sets are exactly the same.) It would be nice to get a little more creative on the minifigs.

The price to part ratio is very good although probably 25% of the pieces are very small 1x1 or 1x2 tiles and plates. Color selection is great.

If you liked Caf� Corner you will like this as well.

Final Rating: 86%

Build 9/10 (Pretty quick for the number of pieces. No gotchas.)

Functionality 7/10 (It fits in nicely with the theme. The house feels to small to me though.)

Design 9/10 (Nicely done especially on the exterior)

Parts 9/10 (Excellent. New minifig heads are a plus)

Price 9/10 (The price ratio is great but LOTS of small parts.)

Excellent and thorough review, dunamis. Thanks for sharing!

Isn't that odd that Cafe Corner used classic faces but Market Street uses detailed faces...

Since Market Street is Factory, I wonder if we'll see more Cafe Corner style sets under the exclusives heading, modular building...

A formidable review with very useful and interesting pictures, thanks! *y*

Your sanity

Thanks for the review Dunamis. Though, I probably won't be buying this set.

Wonderful review! You really thought to take pictures of everything :-D

I'm still on the fence about this, I love the figs, I love the blue, but I'm not sure if I can justify the price! I either want to buy no market street, or two of them (one to keep together, one for parts)!

Thanks for this Review Dunamis. it's always great to have different review from such a nice set! I will buy it, in few days... I'm just looking for pieces that I need in the PaB to complete my shipment, and after that, I will working on my new layout now that I'm with all my bricks (I'm back home since 2 days...)!

... Finally, it was strange not to see the piece count on the box...

...Again, LEGO has blessed us with two female minifigs and one male minifig...

...One of the first things you will notice is the smartly designed curving staircase in the front. The architecture of the house is reminiscent of some older houses in the big cities on the East Coast of the United States. No doubt this can be seen in Europe as well, I just don

On european boxes there are always no piece count on it, maybe a european box? Sometimes we have in the Netherlands older american boxes. (words on it in English, French and Spanish)

I thought the fig with the glasses was a male , but he can also be a she.

Older Cityhouses in Dutch Cities, I think also in Belgium. :-)

Nice long review *y* :-)

I knew that about the European boxes, but I had not seen that here in the US.

You make a good point about the minifig with the glasses. I just assumed it was a she but at second glance it could be a he (especially with different hair.)

Thanks for the excellent review. I am still on the fence with this one. Due to shipping I have been trying to avoid S@H lately, and that is my only way to get this set.

Good reveiw, but you should resize the pictures. It really took me half an hour for all the pictures to load for me.

Okay, look at the blonde-haired fig with glasses.

Now look at this from my Brickshelf gallery. What am I doing in a set? Does this mean I'm famous?

Thanks alot for the review, Dunamis, but I'm going after the CC first. ;-) But if the budget allows, I will get this beauty, too. *wub*

Great review :)

This should be indexed when somebody has the time :)

Market Street is my least favourite of all the modular buildings, but it still is way better than what I could ever achieve with LEGO :tongue:

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but has anyone succeeded in making reasonable interior for this thing? I'm considering building the right half (the actual house), but don't want to buy bricks for and build a modular that won't fit interiors...

Woah. figured this would be a thread about somebody who struck gold at a yard sale or was doing retro reviews. realized a few sentences in that it was a bump of an original thread. This post in particular is surreal to see:

On 6/30/2007 at 10:49 PM, Hinckley said:

Excellent and thorough review, dunamis. Thanks for sharing!

Isn't that odd that Cafe Corner used classic faces but Market Street uses detailed faces...

Since Market Street is Factory, I wonder if we'll see more Cafe Corner style sets under the exclusives heading, modular building...

i wonder if we'll see more of these so-called modular buildings.... and here we are thousands of bricks later.

Regarding the set itself: i never realized that the set split, or that the "alleyway" had a roof. always thought it was on one big baseplate with an open alley on the left. guess i'd never looked too closely once i realized the missed modulars were prohibitively expensive.

And as for interiors for the old modulars:

googling showed me this page on Ideas for MS interiors:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/70dcda2e-3423-4cf0-abdc-349aec135f29

even if you don't want to build a bakery specifically, it still gives a pretty clear illustration of the floor space available. It makes it look like there's room for a couple small builds per floor.

I feel like i've seen other attempts at giving the first modulars interiors before, but I can't remember where.