Sign in to follow this  
Cody Startale

Need feedback for Star Wars TFA Decal (Warning: spoilers!)

Warning: this topic contains major spoilers about Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Only

proceed if you have seen the movie or don't care about spoilers. View at your own risk!

Hello there,

I am fairly new, but I want to get deeper into the topic of customisation. I have already done a small number of customs with decals and am now trying to improve my skills and my work. I think I can do about "anything" on the technical side, but certain design choices seem to be my weakness; I want my designs to look as similar and in line with official Lego designs as possible. And right now I am working on a minifig that I strongly desire, but that has not officially been tackled yet (even though it's just a matter of time): Luke Skywalker from The Force Awakens.

Prior to the movie's home release, it's hard to even come by decent pictures for reference; most of them are blurry and have faulty colors (I'll go see the movie a third time in cinema just to make sure :grin: ). I still tried my best though, but I feel like it could be a lot better; for that, I would be very grateful for your input and feedback. Any comment would be greatly appreciated!

tfaLuke5dfec5.jpg

My reference pictures. As mentioned, not the best quality and therefore, not the most reliable source!

tfaLuke11b382.jpg

My first take at the decal. The belt is obviously missing yet, but it will be added once I am more confident with the look of the robes. The colors here are a real headscratcher for me; there's a V-shaped brown element, but a lighter brown/beige-y element surrounding it. In the first reference image, the collar seems to be brown/beige instead of white as well and I just cannot decide on a definite look...

tfaLuke3c1257.jpgtfaLuke4af226.jpg

I always test my decals with simple paper prints or stickers before applying them with decal paper. So here's a WIP version "in action" of my custom take on old Luke Skywalker (I don't own a grey cape, sorry). A custom face shall be done after the torso and legs are finished, but for now, old Ben Kenobi's face'll have to do.

tfaLuke28eaf5.jpg

Since the beige-y part of the torso looks too yellow for my taste on the print, I altered the decal design and desaturated it, gave it a darker, grey-ish shade. Also, the brown elements received black outlines and I darkened the outlines overall. I am not really satisfied with the wrinkles yet; they seem kinda thin and not too convincing, but I am not sure how to deal with that.

Any thoughts/comments so far? How do you like it? How could I improve it?

Edited by Poe Dameron

I think it looks outstanding, though I might suggest a different color for the t-crotch and just printing the belt on the torso.

Thanks for your comment, it is much appreciated! Yeah, I also concluded that a white t-crotch would probably work better together with a proper belt printing on the torso. I will also see what I can do about the legs: the design shouldn't be a problem, but I have not applied decals to legs before.