• Outstanding

INDEXED

Name: Holiday Villa

Theme: LEGO System / Town

Year: 1988

Pieces: 197

Minifigs: 2

Price: USD ?

There were quite a few sets in the 1980's that weren't sold in the US. I remember reading once that it was because they contained wine glasses and TLG felt they wouldn't be able to market a toy that encourage the drinking of alcohol. This set was one of them. I remember seeing this in a catalog that came with a Fabuland set and wondering what it was and where I could get one. I wrote to LEGO and got an overseas catalog which had the Futuron 6990 Monorail Transport System in it before it was available in the US. I was amazed. I ended up buying 6349 Holiday Villa from that catalog but, for some reason, gave it to my best friend for his birthday. I've always wanted this set and finally bought it from Bricklink this year....

My purchase included everything except the box. :cry_sad: I really like the boxes. But, in lieu of a boxshot, here is the instruction manual:

6349_001.jpg

I imagine this was the image on the front of the box:

6349_002.jpg

The parts

One of the things that appealed to me about this set is it's abundance of rare parts. This base plate is an excellent piece and was only available in two sets:

6349_009.jpg

Classic LEGO telephone:

6349_010.jpg

Technically, these blue windows 1 x 4 x 5 windows are only available in this set, according to Bricklink. It was available in different form (with and without fixed glass, trans blue glass) in other sets. Regardless this size and color window is rare and the blue door was only available in 4 sets. This was a huge selling point for me as I'm a window monkey. Never heard that term? It's like a parts monkey (a collector who buys mulitples of sets just for parts or large lots of bulk from BL and sorts them into bins) but just for windows. Tell your friends I coined the term:

6349_011.jpg

These sloped windows have endless possibilities in many themes (maybe not with the curtain decals applied) but are another great rare part that appears in this set:

6349_014.jpg

The build

Remember this piece? I'd like to see a badass Agents car built on this car base! :laugh: :

6349_003.jpg

I am a fan of the six-wide car but I see the appeal of the four wide. It has a very nostalgic feel to it:

6349_004.jpg

There's no denying that this is a beauty of classic LEGO 4-wide cars:

6349_005.jpg

6349_006.jpg

6349_007.jpg

This set comes with two mini-figures, one of which appears to be a painter. Classic vintage LEGO figs:

6349_008.jpg

Onto the house which begins with the basic floorplan:

6349_012.jpg

A kitchen that's open to the rest of the house and a little oven and hood vent is one of my favorite touches. It's one thing to throw an oven into a house set, but the designer of this set made it a cool part of the architecture of the house which gives it a unique feel:

6349_013.jpg

The completed first floor and carport:

6349_015.jpg

I do wish the sides of the roof were white with a little overhang like an actual roof. This method of white on bottom, red on top looks more like a child's drawing than a real house. This is easily fixed with some modifying. Still, you get a lot of roof pieces in this set:

6349_016.jpg

6349_017.jpg

Here we have the completed set. The husband cleans the yard while the wife gets plastered on wine. Don't tell the American kids!

6349_020.jpg

Another angle:

6349_021.jpg

Working in the kitchen:

6349_022.jpg

Getting smashed before dinner. I think she may have a serious problem:

6349_023.jpg

The bedroom. A little stark, but the bed looks comfy:

6349_024.jpg

Overall shot of the interior:

6349_025.jpg

Rating

Playability: 9/10 (The possibilities are endless with Drunky McWine-Wine and husband. Really, playability is up to the imagination of the player. It's a house, not really very action-packed.)

Design: 9.5/10 (Great design with plenty of rare parts. Love the classic car, too! Loses half a point for the all red roof...)

Price: NA (I believe this was inexpensive, but since I have no proof, I will have to leave this factor out of the overall rating.)

Overall: 9.25/10 (Classic sets like this all deserve 10s in my book, but looking at it with an objective eye it's Excellent, but not perfect.)

This looks like a really great set! I wasn't around in '88 to get it but I like it! It actually has things inside the interior! Thanks for the review. :thumbup:

There were quite a few sets in the 1980's that weren't sold in the US.

Hooray! (sort of) In England we don't get, in normal shops, Batman and Spongebob sets, and not at all - Avatar sets, and Brickmaster, but America gets all of these. :sad: Maybe it's revenge for America's Lego neglect in the 80's. :laugh:

I remember reading once that it was because they contained wine glasses and TLG felt they wouldn't be able to market a toy that encourage the drinking of alcohol. This set was one of them.

They didn't want to encourage the drinking of alcohol in America but were fine encouraging it in other places? :wacko: Maybe that's why my country has such a big problem with binge drinking... Or maybe not. :look:

:skull:

That's a great review of a great set, Hinckley! :thumbup:

I voted for Outstanding :oh::wub: :

This set is simply amazing! I regrettably don't own this set since it's very hard to find on Ebay and/or the stickers are missing.

But nevertheless I hope that I one day will be able to get this awesome set - or even better - see TLG releasing a new City villa in a style similar to that brilliant set :wink: .

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Nice set what a great find, This is one thing I think the TLG has forgotten about, The creator houses are nice but they are not really geared toward a town them (No mini figs, Cars etc) these sets were and that adds so much to a town layout it can't be overlooked.

I really like this I may have to start my EBay searching.....

Thanks Hinckley :thumbup:

They didn't want to encourage the drinking of alcohol in America but were fine encouraging it in other places? :wacko: Maybe that's why my country has such a big problem with binge drinking... Or maybe not. :look:

I think this was an early sign of American parents being hyper-sensitive to things. "Won't somebody think of the children?" Guarded Inn was another set only sold in the Shop-at-Home and not in stores for the same reason.

I think this was an early sign of American parents being hyper-sensitive to things. "Won't somebody think of the children?" Guarded Inn was another set only sold in the Shop-at-Home and not in stores for the same reason.

And to think that this is the same place that got Dino sets with guns when we Europeans got them without! :wacko::tongue: Well, that is a couple of decades later...

And to think that this is the same place that got Dino sets with guns when we Europeans got them without! :wacko::tongue: Well, that is a couple of decades later...

Yes yes. In the States, horrifying and deplorable violence is fine, but drinking and swearing sends kids directly to hell.

Great review, and great set! I just wanted to comment on the beauty of the car included in this set. It gets no better than a four-wide car and hinged roof (with sunroof!)

Great review! I'd give this set an 8 at the least. It's just a tad too simple for my liking but other than that it looks great! While I'm a 4 wide car man I actually think this car looks rather horrendous. The main body seems way too low in comparison with the windows. The rare parts however do make up for it. :thumbup:

Yes yes. In the States, horrifying and deplorable violence is fine, but drinking and swearing sends kids directly to hell.

Somehow, I feel like watching South Park now ... :tongue:

That was such a good episode :laugh:

Somehow, I feel like watching South Park now ... :tongue:

That was such a good episode :laugh:

I thought it was Simpsons, but you're right-it's a Sheila Braflowksi line. Isn't it in the movie, though? Right before "Blame Canada?"

On topic, I find it funny that people find that car so great. I don't like 4 wide cars but I also think it's beautiful just because of the nostalgic feeling I get looking at it-like hot cocoa on Christmas morning with a new teddy bear in my stocking. Get out of my socks teddy bear! My feet are cold! Is that Santa's boot dangling from the chimney? What's that smell? Anyway, does anyone long for the days of 2-wide cars with 2 x 2 slope windshields that were more suited for a skateboard than a car? I suppose someone has to have affection for those things. Who was around back then? CopMike? Gylman? Hobbes? Do you like 2-wide cars? :laugh: Seriously though, anyone? My point is, as much as I like the realism of the six-wide and wider cars, the 4-wides make me feel all warm and fuzzy. :wub:

Do you like 2-wide cars?

I didn't even knowthere ever were 2 wide cars :wacko:

You forgot sex ...

Lots of rare parts and a good baseplate, sounds great. How much did this cost you and where did you get it from?

This is my favourite house which I owned during my childhood. Although it's in the crypt, but I hope to build it back one day. Looking at your review makes me so envy of you to own a complete set. :wub:

The baseplate is very unique especially for its stoned pattern. Classic LEGO telephone is just so lovely especially when its printed. The entire house layout is simple and very nicely constructed. In fact, the simplicity just showed how much LEGO could do with such parts. There are many nice furnitures included in this set such as the little oven/stove, dining table, bed and car porch. The little black car is a classic example of a true 4-studs car.

I love this house very much, and my verdict is a full "5". No doubt about it. Thanks Hinckley for this lovely review. :blush:

This is a really good set. What makes it nice is that it is so simple but perfect, a feeling that sets don't emit often these days. I voted outstanding. :thumbup:

Remember this piece? I'd like to see a badass Agents car built on this car base! :laugh:

I was bored and I needed inspiration...

evilcar.png

It's not Agents but hey, nothing is perfect.

:laugh:

Dr. Brick

of course, who said it HAD to be wine in the first place? i often drink sprite from wine glasses so i feel fancy...

Thanks for the wonderful review. :thumbup:

This is really a beautiful set - I love the old lego houses from the 80's and 90's - they were always very quaint and well designed. Actually, I like the old car designs too, but only for their nostalgic value (in reality, they are very unrealistic and look more like go carts).

That said, not all four wide cars are silly looking - the 4-wide cars in these city sets are awesome and fit in with the modern CITY style great. :classic:

7898-1.jpg

7993-1.jpg

I just bought this! It's truly a wonderful set and I love the houses from that era as well. Very charming. Great review!

I wish I could find this set some day (including the right baseplate). Some of my House MOCs are styled after the classic 6349. And sometimes I've rebuilt it after Instruction Scans exchanging the baseplate (I don't own one of these) with 2 at 16x32 each.

city-house.jpg

And this city house out of an older thread of mine. It's offensive, that I've used styling elements of 6349's just enlarged.

In terms of interior details: Not much, but still enough for classic town. I voted outstanding

mFg Widdi

Edited by Widdi

This is an awesome set, man... and a great review. Just too bad it is so rare!

I voted 5. By the way, does anyone know if there is a review for this? Or other sets that come with a camper, perhaps?

Also, I was wondering if the creator houses are in scale and could be used with minifigs and such.

Has anyone noticed the dwarf in one of the completed shots? :tongue: Nice set, alot better than the new City sets...*looks at an army of firefighters that have no fires to put out and the police officer army*

Edited by indianajones