Kire

Bootleg set discussions and reviews

Hello in this topic we'll discuss Chinese counterfeit sets such as Decool, Bozhi, Lele, IQ and Sheng Yuan. We can discuss minifigures, predictions, quality, and comparisons as well.

Edited by Kire

I would like to comment as i am a fan of Lego and other brand bricks. Its good when other brand bricks come up with there own designs, However im not a fan of company's copying Lego designs & counterfeit them.

I will always buy official Lego sets and figures before any bootleg. That said, the bootleg companies have brought some interesting figures not produced by Lego. I think most of those things have been discussed over at the minifigure thread in the Custom Workshop.

My interest is more in the quality of bricks and construction of things produced by Sheng Yuan, Decool and Bozhi over any desire to have them replace genuine Lego products.

I picked up a Bozhi clone of the Wolverine Chopper Showdown set as it had the Wolverine figure in a yellow costume rather than the bright light orange of the official set. I know people have preferred the Christo Power Man figure as it's also in the yellow rather than bright light orange. While the chopper looked identical the quality of the bricks wasn't... but they were very close to the Kreo bricks I've encountered. I picked up a Kreo Halo set as it was reduced to £1 and I just wanted to see what it was like... the bricks themselves feel very sharp and almost brittle (although not in the sense that they'd just break up)... and this sometimes made the fit of things a little harder than with regular Lego bricks. Bozhi felt the same and some of the build made the connection of the bricks a little difficult.

Sheng Yuan have vastly improved their QC on the figures and are producing unique moulds now as well as prints... their Hulk with the posable head is a good example of this. With that in mind I was interested in their new range of Iron Man sets as they're not clones of Lego sets. The only review I've seen of one of the transformation platforms didn't paint a particularly good picture of the quality of the design... especially the play feature which meant the whole platform was almost floating and not very secure. Whether the lab set they're releasing has any unique armour versions to make it a worthwhile purchase (as they're essentially very cheap) is another matter. If not then the lab is easy enough to recreate with genuine Lego.

One thing Sheng Yuan are doing with this new range is clones of Batman sets with just Batman, a single other character and the vehicle such as The Bat with just Gordon and the Bat Vehicle but no Bane or Tumbler or the Mr Freeze set with just Aquaman and the Batsled(?). They're also apparently including a clone of the X-Jet in this range although this is a complete clone of the Lego set with all mini figures and the Sentinel.

One thing I'm not so sure on though is the quality of the brick plastic. Sheng Yuan have a pretty decent ABS material on their minifigures and their moulds are very close to Lego... whether that manifests itself into decent brick moulds I'm not so sure. This difference in quality will make it easy to spot a fake from a genuine set even by sight before ever have to actually touch it.

Edited by Robianco

I will also always buy Lego before buying a bootleg set, with that being said some sets just don't appeal to me and sometimes I would just rather have the minifigures rather than the actual set. I've done this lately with the electro spiderman set, the spiderman powerman set and GOTG Milano spaceship rescue set. if I do buy the sets sometimes I'll just resell the vehicle or playset part to try and get back some of my earnings since I have lack of space in my dorm and only try and display the figures.

From what I've seen with the SY platform set that Digger318 reviewed recently the bricks do have a good feel to it, he said it was much "softer" than Lego. The SY platform just had a design problem with it and it seemed like the hook and lock pieces on the movable suit remover was the only problems with the set. However the lab set may have a more "better quality" seeing as it's more of a display piece and it's only probably moveable function is maybe a rotating platform in the center of the set. I would be willing to buy the lab set if it's price is right ($25-30) if anybody has a link so I can check it out, it would much be appreciated.

Decool has also been doing some sets lately or attempting and it seems their brick molds are good, but the figures in the set are almost "B-grade" minifigures since they have more printing issues than normal. It's as if the printing is bad on the figures in the set as a marketing technique to push the single minifigures (or wave) packs more.

Edited by Kire

I think the SY Lab is only going to be around $15. I'd be surprised if they put it at a higher price point. The Wolverine Chopper Showdown cost me £7.

Really? Wow I assumed the lab would be pricier since it has more figures and looks better than the other two, do you have a link?

Really? Wow I assumed the lab would be pricier since it has more figures and looks better than the other two, do you have a link?

Not yet... but any of the Bozhi sets are roughly the same price. Somewhere between £7 and £12. I think it's more down to whether you want the box!

The 2 Iron Man platform sets are £7 each... I'd just be a little surprised if they were to make that big a jump in price point.

Especially considering the figure in the platform set reviewed looked like a misprint. Rare for SY but they may just be using them as a vehicle to put out some of the poorer printed figures which would be a shame. I may be proved wrong.

Thanks for the review of the Bohzi chopper showdown Robianco. I should have this set in about 3 weeks time. I have the Bohzi Tumbler chase set and i was pretty happy with the build.

Also the Sheng Yuan Iron man lab set has started appearing eBay as a bundle. It seems like a $20 set as someone said.

Bump :-P Does anyone have an idea where I can get the Iron Man lab off ebay? Any seller tips or something... cannot find any...anywhere!

Talking about this one here (Digger review):

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1.w4004-3631572245.3.iKe1Ib&id=40765949234

I saw this link and guess what? Sheng Yuan releases an 8 piece young justice! Plus a new Starwars set with a 2012 SDCC Darth Maul There is also SWAT with jaw drpping weapns (armory). There is also a new Castle booleg version. Decool 0169-0174 (Punisher, Electro, Red Skull, Taskmaster, Bulleye & Falcon) is also out. This I what I call a Chinese bootleg Invasion!

Try the link I post above, there is a lot of new Ironman lab!

As long as there is official lego product with crazy price that I cannot afford, I will buy the bootlegs.

Edited by wilson3a10

Bump :-P Does anyone have an idea where I can get the Iron Man lab off ebay? Any seller tips or something... cannot find any...anywhere!

Talking about this one here (Digger review):

The only seller I know on ebay that has the iron man lab set charges a really inflated price, your best bet to find it under $10 or a decent price is to use taobao and translate the page.

That is not really on option for me, as I do not own a credit card...which is the only payment they accept :/

No lab for me, I suppose!

So, I just found that Five Below is distributing a series of Hero Factory knockoffs called Bot Factory. I bought a couple to see how they are, and while there is a difference in quality, it's not a drastic difference.

Oh, they were also only $3 each.

Edited by Jetrax99

finally got my ironman lab set .... paid 17 USD ...free shipping.

IMG_5564.JPG

more pics coming soon.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I saw this today and simply had to share it--this seemed like the best place to do that.

One of the innumerable Chinese knock-offs is now selling terrorist sets. Here is the set:

uwipbzmyec6ghnsa7sae.jpg

Followed by another:

ce1blvt1qxl620y0rsxb.jpg

I find it a little shocking yet slightly humorous as well.

Edited by rodiziorobs

Okay, so the only good thing is the torso :thumbup: ......but the face printing and whole smegging idea is trash ! :angry:

What's next with those knock-off mobs.......serial killers or dictators ? :angry:

It's that word starting T that is the most upsetting.....I have a friend who lost his business in the Bali Bombing in 2002, and if he was there at the time he would have been dead....so I consider such a set as VERY poor taste.

Look at the package, though. It seems like the Theme here is a group of military heroes who fight guys like this. This particular package just looks like it only includes the antagonist character from the series, that's all.

It could be considered insensitive, yes. But I don't think this company is condoning the cowardly acts of these type of extremist religious fruitcakes. Nobody in their right mind would ever do something like that.