Sign in to follow this  
Bonaparte

Santa Maria

not-my-ship--santa-maria.jpg

Just discovered this remake of the Santa Maria on Brickshelf.

This ship looks a bit different than the ones that have already been on display in this forum.

It has a beautiful color scheme and very nice details.

Although it's s a very high ship (2 gun-decks) with only 3 hull mid-sections, it still looks good. Not easy to do.

The brickshelf folder contains an overview from the design of the ship until it was finished.

I have send an email to Bo to invite him to join the discussion (was able to trace him via bricklink).

So maybe he'll be here soon....

I saw this on brckshelf awile ago and was considering posting it but I didn't get to it. I like this ship, it is very high compared to it's length, but that's pretty typical of a spanish galleon, so it's problaby just a small amount out of porportion. Looks good. *y*

Hello all

I'm the creator of this ship. I've actually been roaming around this site myself the last few days. I've only recently reacquired my passion for lego. It came back to me with the discovery of Evil Stevie's Pirate Game, and it lead to the discovery of Bricklink, Brickshelf and Eurobricks (and others).

Thanks to Bonaparte for noticing and posting my ship. His army has certainly not escaped my notice either. Very impressive! It makes you dream.

It is great to see my ship getting a good treatment. I see many members are building accurate models of real ships, however this is not what I am doing (..yet anaway). I noticed earlier (didn't have time to post then) that Bonaparte in his introduction wrote "remake", and I just went "oh,... danger" in my mind. I thought that people might compare it to the actual Santa Maria of which I know little in terms of appearance. I just like the name. Also wanted to give my Spanish Armada an actual little armada.

I like your criticism. You have the same preservations as me. Like ghoulrealm I'm not too hot about the stairs. I am considering adding an extra mid-section or inserting bricks between the existing ones to lengthen the hull. It would allow me to pull in the staircase and the mast a bit, and perhaps help my to achieve a better proportion.

Phew... I'm writing a lot

Thanks for your comments. I'll go look around some more now.

Hello all

I'm the creator of this ship. I've actually been roaming around this site myself the last few days. I've only recently reacquired my passion for lego. It came back to me with the discovery of Evil Stevie's Pirate Game, and it lead to the discovery of Bricklink, Brickshelf and Eurobricks (and others).

Thanks to Bonaparte for noticing and posting my ship. His army has certainly not escaped my notice either. Very impressive! It makes you dream.

It is great to see my ship getting a good treatment. I see many members are building accurate models of real ships, however this is not what I am doing (..yet anaway). I noticed earlier (didn't have time to post then) that Bonaparte in his introduction wrote "remake", and I just went "oh,... danger" in my mind. I thought that people might compare it to the actual Santa Maria of which I know little in terms of appearance. I just like the name. Also wanted to give my Spanish Armada an actual little armada.

I like your criticism. You have the same preservations as me. Like ghoulrealm I'm not too hot about the stairs. I am considering adding an extra mid-section or inserting bricks between the existing ones to lengthen the hull. It would allow me to pull in the staircase and the mast a bit, and perhaps help my to achieve a better proportion.

Thanks for your comments. I'll go look around some more now.

Nice to have you with us Mr. Dyrstadt!

I agree with you that adding one more hull section will make your ship even better.

Also it need sails. We have a good tutorial made by Evil Willy. I think it involves paper and coffee :-).

Do you plan to make some pictures with the crew on the ship?

Hello all

I'm the creator of this ship. It is great to see my ship getting a good treatment.

Greetings Mr Dyrstadt and welcome to the Pirate forum! It's great when the builder of a MOC joins our forum to discuss their MOC with us.

Write as much as you like Mr Dyrstadt, we're happy to discuss your MOC and give you constructive feedback if you want it.

Nice to have you with us Mr. Dyrstadt!

I agree with you that adding one more hull section will make your ship even better.

Also it need sails. We have a good tutorial made by Evil Willy. I think it involves paper and coffee :-).

Do you plan to make some pictures with the crew on the ship?

Thank you - I will have a look at the sail tutorial. I am considering if the green colour should also be represented on the sails? I will also need to design somekind of image to put of one of the sails. I don't know what could be a good image? Any suggestions anybody?

... in the end I will properly realise I prefere them white.

I guess I could assemble her crew. I am anachronisticly nice to my crewmembers. They will have a lot of space and comfortable quarters, if I ever get around to making the ship more accesible and adding hammocks/beds(... depending on rank) and furniture. I would like my ship to comfortably fit a crew of 24 sailors(?), 1 cook, 1 cabin boy, 8 soldiers, 2 junior officers, 1 senior officer/first mate, 1 captain and his guest Don Phillipe (and his family and servants if he will ever have any).

Would an extra section make the ship too slim for its height?

Thanks for the welcome Mister Phes. Looking foreward to be participating in other topics where I will hopefully will have something to contribute.

Thank you - I will have a look at the sail tutorial. I am considering if the green colour should also be represented on the sails? I will also need to design somekind of image to put of one of the sails. I don't know what could be a good image? Any suggestions anybody?

When you refer to an image, exactly what do you mean? An image like the emblem on the Armada Flagship?

Thanks for the welcome Mister Phes. Looking foreward to be participating in other topics where I will hopefully will have something to contribute.

And we look foward to participating with you participating! X-D

When you refer to an image, exactly what do you mean? An image like the emblem on the Armada Flagship?

(I believe I managed to erase part of the quote function)

Yes,... an emblem. Praise be to God! (mister Phes can decide for himself whether this refers to him X-D ). I wrecked my brain to come up with something else than "image". A sort of "coat of arms" if that is the correct phrase. Somekind of insignia of a noble family. Something involving a lion or something like that.

I see that Santa Maria has been added to Bonaparte's folder on brickshelf in the folder "stuff". Is this a kind of special honour on your part Bonaparte? Because I feel honoured?

A Coat of Arms you say? Yes, that's a distinct possiblity for sale decoration but did you have an existing one in mind or were you planning on making your own?

I suppose it would depend whether this ship is intended to represent any particular nation. If so you could go Goolging for its Coat of Arms then import the image into a program like Illustrator and vectorise it, or Photoshop and retouch it a bit, then print it out and apply it to your sales.

But that would also depend upon how good your skills with the software was...

Yes,... an emblem. Praise be to God! (mister Phes can decide for himself whether this refers to him X-D ). I wrecked my brain to come up with something else than "image". A sort of "coat of arms" if that is the correct phrase. Somekind of insignia of a noble family. Something involving a lion or something like that.

I see that Santa Maria has been added to Bonaparte's folder on brickshelf in the folder "stuff". Is this a kind of special honour on your part Bonaparte? Because I feel honoured?

Ah yes, I resized one picture of the Santa Maria to put a link in this thread (the original size was a bit to big).

Still, it is a big honour to have your ship in my brickshelf folder :-D

Hmmm... Well here's an illustration of the actual Santa Maria... Well, an interpretation of it at least.

648%20Santa%20Maria%20small.jpg

Check out what's going on with the sails - is something like that suitable or would something like the naval jack be more to your liking?

500px-Naval_Jack_of_Spain.svg.png

I think this is what The LEGO Company had in mind when designing the sails for the Armada Flagship.

sorry to just disappear like that. (though I might do it again). Got caught up with some projects for school and looking at apartments. Minor period of confusion.

Anyway...

Actually I considered using one the lego crests (fx black falcons), but now I have been completely charmed by the sails on the replica - which is lucky because I my experience with a computer as a creative tool is very limited. Normally I get down to the floor with my pencils or brushes or some strange objects ... or legos (well obviously) and do my work there. This design should be very manageable. I don't know when I'll get to it though. still very busy, and I've just ordered two complete hulls for two new ships on bricklink (and 56 magnets, but this is for something completely different), so I have other projects competing for my attention. It's my intention to build two ships that can rival the Santa Maria, one for the British fleet and one for the French fleet.

Though I do love the Armada...

Yes, long live the mighty Imperial Armada! We need a stunning war vessel to blow the Black Seas Barracuda and Skulls Eye Schooner out of the water. I don't really think the Armada Flagship cuts it. Its just an over glorified yacht really...