Jump to content


Bugatti Veyron MOCs Spawn More TECHNIC Veyrons


20 replies to this topic

#1 DLuders

DLuders

  • Technic Technician


    Posts: 5817
    Joined: 17-October 09
    Member: 7868
    Country: USA (WA State)

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:47 AM

In a previous Eurobricks post by Blakbird, Jetro pointed out a recent Bugatti Veyron MOC.  There are many Lego TECHNIC Bugatti Veyrons being built by AFOLs lately, probably because the real car is FAST.  According to Wikipedia, it achieved "407.9 km/h (253.5 mph), which equated to almost one-third of the speed of sound at sea level."  If only one could achieve the scaled-down speeds with Lego models....   :sweet:  

Here's the first TECHNIC model of a Bugatti Veyron (1:10 scale by Ming Thein):  http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/84927 and .  If it were possible, the to-scale speed of the 1:10 model would be 40.8 km/hr (25.3 mph)!  

Another TECHNIC Veyron (the one Jetro pointed out -- 1:8 scale by Sheepo HL):  http://mocpages.com/moc.php/172197 and http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=411404 .  The to-scale speed would be even faster (51 km/hr or 31.7 mph!).

Yet another TECHNIC Veyron ( by cbt):  http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=204267 .  Maybe there are even more TECHNIC Veyrons out there.

I like them all   :sweet: (although I agree with Jetro that Sheepo's is the finest).  If TLG runs out of Ferraris to sell in their "Racers" theme, maybe they can get a marketing deal with Bugatti and sell these as official sets! (wishful thinking on my part)....    :blush:

#2 prateek

prateek

  • Study hard!


    Posts: 10399
    Joined: 09-July 05
    Member: 426
    Country: Canada

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:03 AM

View Postdluders, on Mar 15 2010, 07:47 PM, said:

Another TECHNIC Veyron (the one Jetro pointed out -- 1:8 scale by Sheepo HL):  http://mocpages.com/moc.php/172197 and http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=411404 .  The to-scale speed would be even faster (51 km/hr or 31.7 mph!).
I like this one the best too. It has so much detail, and the shape is perfect. :thumbup:

#3 allanp

allanp

    Posts: 1978
    Joined: 15-September 06
    Member: 961
    Country: UK

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:25 PM

View Postprateek, on Mar 16 2010, 02:03 AM, said:

I like this one the best too. It has so much detail, and the shape is perfect. :thumbup:

I like that one to for it's sequential gearbox.
Even the best can be made better, but most important is to be excellent to each other and party on dudes!!!!!!

#4 Jurgen Krooshoop

Jurgen Krooshoop

    Posts: 707
    Joined: 27-January 10
    Member: 9323
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:01 PM

I agree that Sheepo's Veyron is the nicest. And his gearbox is so cool that I made an MLCAD version (with Sheepo's permission). You can find it and the buiding instruction-pictures in Sheepo's Brickshelf folder.

#5 Blakbird

Blakbird

  • Technic Angel of Retribution


    Posts: 2345
    Joined: 09-November 07
    Member: 2164
    Country: USA

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:05 PM

View PostJurgen Krooshoop, on Apr 13 2010, 05:01 AM, said:

I agree that Sheepo's Veyron is the nicest. And his gearbox is so cool that I made an MLCAD version (with Sheepo's permission). You can find it and the buiding instruction-pictures in Sheepo's Brickshelf folder.

Thanks Jurgen!  I will definitely have to try out that gearbox.  Now that you have made an MLCAD file of the gearbox, the only thing left is for you to make a file of the entire car!  I know you have the skills.   :classic:  I will gladly donate any of my internal organs to you for such a file, or whatever else you require.
Blakbird
Technicopedia

#6 Jurgen Krooshoop

Jurgen Krooshoop

    Posts: 707
    Joined: 27-January 10
    Member: 9323
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:56 AM

View PostBlakbird, on Apr 13 2010, 07:05 PM, said:

Thanks Jurgen!  I will definitely have to try out that gearbox.  Now that you have made an MLCAD file of the gearbox, the only thing left is for you to make a file of the entire car!  I know you have the skills.   :classic:  I will gladly donate any of my internal organs to you for such a file, or whatever else you require.
Thanks Blakbird. I would be honoured to make instructions for the complete car, but there are some problems. Making correct instructions requires me to have the car personally at my disposal. Since Sheepo lives in Spain and I live in The Netherlands, it's not likely to happen. The instructions for the gearbox were made based on Sheepo's instructional pictures he put on his MOC-page. First I built it, then I made the MLCad-file.

Besides that, I would need Sheepo's permission of course (although I don't think that will be the biggest problem).

But I've created my own RC-gearbox which will be published here soon, including instructions.
This gearbox will be used in my new supercar that I'm working on now. The first tests of the 80% complete chassis look promising. It the model turns out good, I might make an MLCad file for it.

#7 TechnicJuan

TechnicJuan

    Posts: 426
    Joined: 20-August 08
    Member: 3775

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:27 PM

Sheepo's car is awesome and packed with features. The body seems a just a little large for the wheels (wheelbase), but in order to pack everything into that, he did a great job. :thumbup:

Edited by TechnicJuan, 19 April 2010 - 03:30 PM.


#8 Blakbird

Blakbird

  • Technic Angel of Retribution


    Posts: 2345
    Joined: 09-November 07
    Member: 2164
    Country: USA

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:15 PM

View PostJurgen Krooshoop, on Apr 19 2010, 03:56 AM, said:

Thanks Blakbird. I would be honoured to make instructions for the complete car, but there are some problems. Making correct instructions requires me to have the car personally at my disposal. Since Sheepo lives in Spain and I live in The Netherlands, it's not likely to happen.
This is a pretty important project, so I guess you are going to have to move to Spain.   :grin:
You never know, perhaps Sheepo would loan you the car to do a digital file to share with the world.  It never hurts to ask!  I have had a couple of people loan me large models to do instructions or Ldraw files.  They obviously have to put a lot of trust in you to loan you a valuable model, but I know you are reliable.   :sweet:
Blakbird
Technicopedia

#9 Jurgen Krooshoop

Jurgen Krooshoop

    Posts: 707
    Joined: 27-January 10
    Member: 9323
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:35 PM

View PostBlakbird, on Apr 19 2010, 07:15 PM, said:

This is a pretty important project, so I guess you are going to have to move to Spain.   :grin:
You never know, perhaps Sheepo would loan you the car to do a digital file to share with the world.  It never hurts to ask!  I have had a couple of people loan me large models to do instructions or Ldraw files.  They obviously have to put a lot of trust in you to loan you a valuable model, but I know you are reliable.   :sweet:
Ok, I guess I will move to Spain then  :wink: And it doesn't hurt to ask, you're right.

BTW, why is it an important project if I may ask ?

#10 SuperCow

SuperCow

    Posts: 42
    Joined: 24-July 09
    Member: 6789
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:54 PM

View PostJurgen Krooshoop, on Apr 19 2010, 07:35 PM, said:

Ok, I guess I will move to Spain then  :wink: And it doesn't hurt to ask, you're right.

BTW, why is it an important project if I may ask ?

Well I guess Blakbird wants to include it to his collection  :classic:

#11 Blakbird

Blakbird

  • Technic Angel of Retribution


    Posts: 2345
    Joined: 09-November 07
    Member: 2164
    Country: USA

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:15 PM

View PostSuperCow, on Apr 19 2010, 03:54 PM, said:

Well I guess Blakbird wants to include it to his collection  :classic:
That's correct!  Pictures and videos are great, but when I see a truly remarkable model, I really want to build it.  Firstly, I want to hold it in my hands, turn it over, look at it from every angle and admire it.  Then I want to try all the functions and watch them as they work.  Then I want to be able to build and disassemble it to dissect every detail and function and absorb the physics.  When all that is done, I want it to sit proudly on my shelf along with every Technic set ever made and the greatest MOCs I have been able to reproduce.  Those hallowed shelves are like a museum where I preserve LEGO Technic for posterity and history, and I think this model deserves to be there.

Plus, of course, it is completely awesome.   :classic:

Some models can be reproduced from photographs if you take enough time.  That's what I did with Crowkillers' Gallardo.  But I know I'd never be able to reproduce this Veyron just from the pictures.   It is too dense with parts.

For what it's worth, your Little Devil will be on those same shelves shortly Jurgen.  I'm working on Nathanael Kuiper's Silver Supercar first.  The great models must be preserved!!
Blakbird
Technicopedia

#12 Jurgen Krooshoop

Jurgen Krooshoop

    Posts: 707
    Joined: 27-January 10
    Member: 9323
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

Good to know I'm not the only one who spends hours looking at a Technic model  :sweet: . I may not have a collections as big as Blakbird (I own "only" about 20+ Technic sets) but I will propably admire a good Technic model about as much.

Ok back to the subject...
I've actually given it some serious thoughts to take on this project (first it seemed impossible). Another problem became clear quickly: time.
Let me elaborate: I'm a builder, meaning I take most joy out of making things.  And making my own models, my own technical systems, admiring the working functions I've created is what I like best of all. That doesn't mean I don't like other models (this Veyron is still enourmously impressive), they will just never have the same value to me as my own babies. And I don't have the means to keep every model intact forever. That's where MLCad comes in: it allows me to document my own creations, so I can make them again or look up how I made stuff. As an extra, it allows to easily share models with other people (& make very nice renders).

The primary reason for asking Sheepo to LDraw his gearbox was so I would be able to include it in one of my models. The second reason was to enable Sheepo to share his creation. And making such a model in MLCad doens't take much time for me (it was done in less than a day). Digitalizing the complete Veyron one the other hand is an extremely time-consuming project for a number of reasons: 1. It's a big car 2. I didn't create the model, so I have to analyze it first, 3. MLCad becomes quite slow with models over a thousand parts, the more parts you put in, the slower it gets. 4. Debugging the model takes at least as much time as making it.

I estemate such a project will take about a couple of weeks to a month, and all has to be done in my spare time, time I can't spend building my own stuff.  As mentioned before, I'm working on a new supercar of my own, and I would really really really really really really like to finish this first.

So as you might understand Blakbird, I would like to give it some more thought, before actually asking Sheepo's permission and help. I would still be honoured to do it, but I must be realistic and ask myself how much of my building time I want to spend on somebody else model, I hope you understand.

#13 Blakbird

Blakbird

  • Technic Angel of Retribution


    Posts: 2345
    Joined: 09-November 07
    Member: 2164
    Country: USA

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:55 PM

View PostJurgen Krooshoop, on Apr 21 2010, 11:52 AM, said:

So as you might understand Blakbird, I would like to give it some more thought, before actually asking Sheepo's permission and help. I would still be honoured to do it, but I must be realistic and ask myself how much of my building time I want to spend on somebody else model, I hope you understand.
I absolutely understand!  Please do not feel pressured by me to do anything you would prefer not to.  I understand very well how much time it takes to make one of these models in MLCAD, and it takes even longer to then break it down into reasonable instruction steps.  I've done it myself.  The difference, I think, is that I actually enjoy this kind of CAD work.

In response to some of your other comments about "cleaning up" the model, I would offer a few more thoughts.  For me personally, the primary reason for wanting such a CAD file is to be able to actually build a copy of the real model.  So the CAD file does not need to be perfect, it just needs to be close enough to be able to figure out where the parts go.  With this is mind, I would be willing to offer my own services to the project.  If you were willing to build the basic CAD file based on studying the actual model, I would be willing to then clean it up and break it down into instruction steps.  At that point, assuming that you and I and Sheepo agree, I'd be willing to make the finished file available for free for other people to use, study, or build a copy of their own.

Take your time and do what you like with your LEGO hobby.  Don't let anyone take away the fun from you.  But if you would be willing to participate in such a project before Sheepo takes this apart and it is lost forever, I think many people from all over the world would appreciate it.
Blakbird
Technicopedia

#14 Jurgen Krooshoop

Jurgen Krooshoop

    Posts: 707
    Joined: 27-January 10
    Member: 9323
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:41 PM

When making an MLCad file I automaticly think about how to assebmle it and insert steps immediately, thats just the way I work. But a MLCad-file for a model this size would propably have between 25 & 50 errors to exactly match the original and to privide 100 % correct instructions. And it's not that I don't like making MLCad-files (in fact, I like it quite a lot), it's the finding of the errors and making the final instruction-pages that's less fun and time-consuming, but neccesary. So if you (Blakbird) are willing to do the last part, then I'll make an MLCad-file (including steps). In fact, I've already asked Sheepo for permission and assistence.

But as I mentioned before, it will take some time before it' would be finished.

So to be continued.....

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop, 21 April 2010 - 09:42 PM.


#15 legoman777

legoman777

    Posts: 77
    Joined: 02-September 09
    Member: 7276

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

I can only hope that Jurgen and Blakbird could make instructions for Sheepos Bugatti.

#16 DLuders

DLuders

  • Technic Technician


    Posts: 5817
    Joined: 17-October 09
    Member: 7868
    Country: USA (WA State)

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:11 PM

(Bump) iq147mark posted LDraw building instruction files for the Bugatti Veyron's W16 engine on his Brickshelf gallery:

Posted Image

#17 DLuders

DLuders

  • Technic Technician


    Posts: 5817
    Joined: 17-October 09
    Member: 7868
    Country: USA (WA State)

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

[BUMP]  On the Sheepo's Garage website, Sheepo just posted details of his (year 2009) Lego Technic Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grandsport.  He said "If you look the pictures closely, you will discover undisclosed secrets before! ;) " , but he did not reveal what they were.  Can anybody determine them?   :oh:  

Earlier in this topic, Blakbird and Jurgen Krooshoop were CONSIDERING making Building Instructions for the Veyron.  Are you still able/willing to do this, now that Sheepo has revealed the "undisclosed secrets"?   :blush:   There are COMPONENTS of the car available on Sheepo's Download page, but there are no building instructions for the entire car....    

Posted Image

#18 dhc6twinotter

dhc6twinotter

    Posts: 1324
    Joined: 02-May 10
    Member: 10485
    Country: USA

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:30 PM

I'd like to see somebody build a Technic W16 engine where all cylinders share a single crank, like the real engine.    Maybe I'll have a go at this.... :grin:

Edited by dhc6twinotter, 17 December 2011 - 10:30 PM.


#19 Brickend

Brickend

    Posts: 101
    Joined: 16-April 11
    Member: 17283

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:40 PM

It's not hard to get them to share a crank shaft.  The problem is that to get the staggered cylinders whilst retaining bank angle, you would get an engine that is at least 16 studs long using standard lego cylinders.

#20 VFracingteam

VFracingteam

  • Tugs at the Technic strings


    Posts: 1150
    Joined: 01-December 11
    Member: 22680
    Country: Holland

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:54 AM

View PostDLuders, on 16 March 2010 - 01:47 AM, said:

In a previous Eurobricks post by Blakbird, Jetro pointed out a recent Bugatti Veyron MOC.  There are many Lego TECHNIC Bugatti Veyrons being built by AFOLs lately, probably because the real car is FAST.  According to Wikipedia, it achieved "407.9 km/h (253.5 mph), which equated to almost one-third of the speed of sound at sea level."  If only one could achieve the scaled-down speeds with Lego models....   :sweet:  

Here's the first TECHNIC model of a Bugatti Veyron (1:10 scale by Ming Thein):  http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/84927 and .  If it were possible, the to-scale speed of the 1:10 model would be 40.8 km/hr (25.3 mph)!  

Another TECHNIC Veyron (the one Jetro pointed out -- 1:8 scale by Sheepo HL):  http://mocpages.com/moc.php/172197 and http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=411404 .  The to-scale speed would be even faster (51 km/hr or 31.7 mph!).

Yet another TECHNIC Veyron ( by cbt):  http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=204267 .  Maybe there are even more TECHNIC Veyrons out there.

I like them all   :sweet: (although I agree with Jetro that Sheepo's is the finest).  If TLG runs out of Ferraris to sell in their "Racers" theme, maybe they can get a marketing deal with Bugatti and sell these as official sets! (wishful thinking on my part)....    :blush:
Best DLuders.
Bugatti had already set a new record with the Veyron at 431 km/h
Greets Edwin

#21 Blakbird

Blakbird

  • Technic Angel of Retribution


    Posts: 2345
    Joined: 09-November 07
    Member: 2164
    Country: USA

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:58 PM

View PostDLuders, on 17 December 2011 - 06:28 PM, said:

Earlier in this topic, Blakbird and Jurgen Krooshoop were CONSIDERING making Building Instructions for the Veyron. Are you still able/willing to do this, now that Sheepo has revealed the "undisclosed secrets"? :blush: There are COMPONENTS of the car available on Sheepo's Download page, but there are no building instructions for the entire car....

Sadly, there is not enough detail information available on this model to recreate it and CAD and make instructions. Jurgen and I were considering it at one point, but we can't reverse engineer it from the few photos available. In order for such a project to be completed, Sheepo would have to involved and/or I would have to have access to the original model.

Edited by Blakbird, 20 December 2011 - 10:58 PM.

Blakbird
Technicopedia



Reply to this topic



  


1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users