Staslegomaster

Sunset Mirage (update)

http://www.us.lego.c...dd5c8cb?index=1

I improved my 3-masts and 10-guns pirate ship. I'll try to take better pictures and upload them in LEGO Ideas. Is it worth trying?

I need your opinion and hope the moderators will put its picture as before because I couldn't find it in your archives. Many thanks.

My favorites Lego pirates is my favorite series, that’s why I created my own version of a battle ship with 3 masts and 10 guns (LEGO always gives twice as less guns as gun ports. I improved that, as many fans like it). My ship is based on a combination of Skull’s Eye Schooner 6285 (1993) and Emperor’s Ship 7416 (2003). All my gun ports are classic pirate flags.

The main idea The Pirates series once included lots of ships but none had 3 masts. I used mostly big LEGO bricks to make it medium difficult to build. Besides people of all ages love pirate ships, children, men and women alike, all over the world. The deck is removable and there is a large cannon deck. The set includes only 2 mini figures – the captain (series 14) and a classic pirate monkey in a crow’s nest because I’d like to know what mini figures my fans would like in his crew. Comments, criticism and suggestions are welcome.

There are additional weapons. This adds to playability. There is a crane for treasure chests on a mast. It rotates and can move up and down. Designing sails, LEGO teams often use Lego scalps and bones. I like that idea very much. But in MOC the sails are red and scalps black as in Queen Ann’s Revenge (4195). The deck and captain’s cabin are removable and you can easily look inside and hide treasure there. All the masts have shrouds to get to crows’ nests. I always try to be attentive to such details.

Interesting details: I used Ursula (a Disney mini figure 2016) as a ship figure. And the black dragon wing is used as wheel. The front mast with a triangle sail moves to the right and left. It was easy to do and added realism. Besides Jack pumpkin head is its lantern. And the black Knights axe is its decoration. You can easily look inside the captain’s cabin from the stern. The captain’s cabin has doors to the deck and to the stern.

If you like the MOC please have a look at my other creations in LEGO Ideas and here. I Know that it's better for a ship to be longer but necessary parts aren't send to Russia on-line, alas.

Edited by Staslegomaster

Looks like a fun ship Staslegomaster! I feel that better pictures would lend support to this ship's chances.

I like how you used a halberd at the end of the bowsprit. Nice!

You really need better lighting for your pictures.

But on to criticism.. I think your ship needs to be longer, and the front of the ship is too long and pointy. The rear also looks like it needs work, its very blocky and does not really blend in well with the rest of the ship. Look at the design of the BSB and SES, thats how the rear cabin should look. Also if you add hull sections to make the ship longer you can give more spacing between the mast which will really give it a better look.

Its a good start, but to be considered on ideas i think you need to give it a more classic lego pirate ship look.

looks pretty sharp to me! I couldn't do much better. good job! :thumbup:

Looks like a fun ship Staslegomaster! I feel that better pictures would lend support to this ship's chances.

I like how you used a halberd at the end of the bowsprit. Nice!

What makes you think it's a fun ship, I wonder? Criticism is better than a praize, isn'it? Because it helps to understand what to improve.

But on to criticism.. I think your ship needs to be longer, and the front of the ship is too long and pointy. The rear also looks like it needs work, its very blocky and does not really blend in well with the rest of the ship. Look at the design of the BSB and SES, thats how the rear cabin should look. Also if you add hull sections to make the ship longer you can give more spacing between the mast which will really give it a better look.

Its a good start, but to be considered on ideas i think you need to give it a more classic lego pirate ship look.

What kind of lightning and lamps do you recommend? Thanks.

What kind of lightning and lamps do you recommend? Thanks.

Pretty much any lighting, to be honest. If these were taken without your normal lights on, try turning them on. If they're already on, try opening a few window shades. Barring that, get a desk lamp and shine it at the part you're photographing. I haven't given any positive or negative comments yet because I can't really see the ship.

Once you get that figured out, try taking some pictures closer in as well as far out, so that we can get a better idea of the ship's details.

Pretty much any lighting, to be honest. If these were taken without your normal lights on, try turning them on. If they're already on, try opening a few window shades. Barring that, get a desk lamp and shine it at the part you're photographing. I haven't given any positive or negative comments yet because I can't really see the ship.

Once you get that figured out, try taking some pictures closer in as well as far out, so that we can get a better idea of the ship's details.

And what kinds of lamps help make pictures not blurry, without glare?

The kind that make light when you turn them on. pirate_laugh2.gif

Seriously, though, just get a lamp, take a few pictures, and look at the results on your computer. If they look good, post them, if they don't, try putting the lamp in a different position, or try a different lamp. Nobody expects professional photography. The pictures I take certainly aren't anything to brag about, the idea is just to produce a picture that allows people to see what's in it.

I Know that it's better for a ship to be longer but necessary parts aren't send to Russia on-line, alas.I sort of details.

For lighting something that always works well for me is going outside on a sunny day when the sun is not directly over head. The natural lighting can do wonders to show detail, just watch out for shadows from clouds, trees, houses etc.

I would say if you are gonna keep the ship the same length maybe space out the mast a little bit more.

For lighting something that always works well for me is going outside on a sunny day when the sun is not directly over head. The natural lighting can do wonders to show detail, just watch out for shadows from clouds, trees, houses etc.

I would say if you are gonna keep the ship the same length maybe space out the mast a little bit more.

Thank you for your good advice, but I seldom leave house because of my legs. I graduated from university with merrits but can't work. So LEGO is my great hobby and pasttime. Have a nice day.