1. 1. Vote your opinion

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Hi @ all,

this is my first review and I do my best do satisfy all you crazy Star Wars Fans out there! :classic:

I hope you can enjoy it since my fotos are not the best yet.

I wasn't too impressed when I saw this set on the shelf at my local TRU, but as a collector and because of its yellow sign "special edition" I bought it.

It is another Special Edition this year, box size is the same like 7868 and 7869, BUT: you have to pay 10 EUR more!

But take a look at the set:

Name: Naboo Starfighter

Theme: Star Wars Episode I

Set Number: 7877

Pieces: 318

Year released: 2011

Minifigures: 6 (Young Anakin, Naboo Fighter Pilot, R2D2, 2x Security Droid & Destroyer Droid

Price: 49,99 EUR

Legos’ Description

Stop the invasion of Naboo™ with the Naboo Starfighter™!

Blast through the battle droids and droideka to clear the hangar! Then speed into battle against the Droid™ Control Ship in the Naboo Starfighter™! Stage a realistic space stand-off with opening cockpit, ejecting R2-D2™, flick missiles, access ladder and rotating stand. Includes Anakin Skywalker™, Naboo™ pilot, R2-D2 and 2 security battle droid minifigures. Service vehicle and droideka™ also included.

* Includes 5 minifigures: Anakin Skywalker, Naboo pilot, R2-D2 and 2 security battle droids

* Features droideka and service vehicle

* Board your ship with the access ladder!

* Fire missiles at the opposition!

* Open the realistic cockpit!

* Eject R2-D2 with a special function!

* Naboo Starfighter™ measures 14” (35cm) long and 9” (22cm) wide

The box. It IS a beautiful design, comes with the yellow "special edition" sign:

img_0095.jpg

img_0096.jpg

Now going on with the figs.

It is a new Naboo Pilot, and it is the same young Anakin we already have in 7962 Podracer, nothing special here, but nearly common in this year's second batch of sets: double-sided printing of the heads. The printing of the security droids seem to be a little ...hmm... wrong, it seems like they forgot some colour:

img_0099.jpg

img_0100.jpg

This is something new for me: Lego spent one round trans-clear brick to give youn Anakin the chance to hold his helmet...

img_0108.jpg

Random page of the instruction. It is one book (since there are only 318 parts it MUST only be one though)...

img_0106.jpg

and a nice little :sick: sticker sheet:

img_0098.jpg

Now we pay a little more attention to the destroyer droid. The building is fun and comes with lots of small parts, but I think in total the older ones look way better (7204 were the best). Still a nice try to give us a destroyer again, what do you think:

img_0105.jpg

img_0107.jpg

Lets take a look to this small fantastic vehicle. Don't remember if I ever saw this in the film, but it is something new comparing the older versions with this one:

img_0104.jpg

Random picture of the naboo fighter while building it. In general the building is fun, but very easy. Because I already own 7141 and 7660 there is nothing too special and too new about this ship. Yes, it does have a new set number..... :wink:

img_0110.jpg

The is a stand to hold the Naboo Fighter in the air:

img_0114.jpg

And finally the complete Naboo Fighter! Enjoy:

img_0115.jpg

It is a really good looking fighter and set. Because it is the third version of this set (I do not count 10026 cause it still is an UCS set) they still could have done it way better. It should have been more a playset to me, with a small hangar, some more Naboo Minifigs and of course more droids.

But they decided to renew the boring 7660, and they did a good job comparing these two.

Total votes:

Ratings:

Design: 4/5: The ship looks very good and swooshable! Still a lot of possibilities, please do a fourth try with CHROME!

Build: 3/5: Enjoyable but very very easy.

Playability: 5/5: There’s alot of fun to be had out of this set. With the jedi and sith minifigs and some of the ship features, children can create lots of different scenarios.

Minifigures: 4/5: The minifigs in the set are brilliant. If you cannot afford new Ani, this set is yours. If you still don't have a Naboo Pilot, take it. And you get another R2D2 and 3 "evil ones", two security droids (printed!) and a destroyer! All the minifigs in this set are really well done I honestly don’t have a bad thing to say about any of them apart from the head piece ofc.

Price: 2/5: We all know Lego charges ALOT for their sets and this one is no different. My querstion is why you have to spend full 10 EUR more than for the january release 7868 and 7869, both really new sets!

In total it is a set you can buy you it definetely isn't a "must have". Take it for the minifigs if you couldn't get one of the older versions otherwise I would say try to get some of the better second wave sets.

greetings Hendrik

Thanks for the review, maybe you can rotate some of the pictures, then people can see it better. As far as the set goes, it's just a lame remake IMO. The box art is jut so amezing, maybe I'll bricklink the box :laugh:

Edited by Blackknight112

Thanks for the review Sir van Lego.

As for the set, didn't get the previous one so looking forward to get this one instead, not sure what to make of that little cart though, it's nearly as strange as the little vehicle we got with the first N1 starfighter. The included stand for the ship is a very nice extra to me though.

Thanks for this. The model is okay, but I hate the droideka and the price!

I agree with Prateek on this, the price is to steep. The set is nice although I fail to see big differences between this set and its preaccessor. But it will keep the other company.

The security droids printing is back again, but is that silver instead of 'sandcolour'.

Thank you for the review! :classic:

It looks surprisingly ok without the stickers, and I think I'll be getting it as I missed the others :sceptic:

Thanks for the review. I think it might look more formal if you used a clean background, or at least cropped some stuff out. About the set, I don't really like it, and I think this is LEGO's worst destroyer droid.

Great review but Future74's are better with comrision shots of the new and old versions on the same vehicles/ships. I would have liked to see the stickers applied but you get enough out of the review to answer all my questions. I like how you added the play set features. Im not that happy with TLG printing on the droids. I noticed my R2 head print was off alighment a bit, but with more detailed printing there is more margine for error.

Thanks for the review. I don't really like this set. It really doesn't capture the elegant feel of the N-1. Then you've got what is IMO TLG's ugliest droideka yet, flick-fires instead of 07's blunt shooter, and a pretty bad price. Minifig selection isn't exactly stellar either. Overall, a remake that doesn't really seem as good as it's predecessor. Below average.

Thanks for sharing this review, though like the others I'm not a fan of this set since it's almost the same as its previous release. I really wish that when TLG decides to remake a certain model there should be significant improvements - I'm still dreaming of the day when we'll finally get a properly-chromed N-1 starfighter in a regular, non-UCS set (I wouldn't mind shelling out a few more bucks for a more accurate and elegant looking ship).

Thanks for the review.

I totally forgot about this set when i posted in the infiltator's thread.

This one will be a pass too.

The ship rendition is meh.

The minifigs are just ok but "just ok" is not good enough for that price.

the Naboo pilot looks good but i'm not a Naboo fan.

The droideka is a mess.

But they will sell tons of them.

Edit: Below Average

Edited by Petit-bleu

Anakin has the same face as from the Podracers? That's a little annoying, but oh well.

The printing on the droids kind of looks nice.

Thanks for the review Sir von Lego. I wont be getting this set or the figs except the Naboo Pilot for my Naboo army. The droidaka is crap, the ship is OK but still not up to scratch, the droids printing looks really bad, and Anakin looks horrible.

That Anakin face is just pure brilliant. Do you mind passing me your huge box of minifigs. :sweet:

Hi,

this box of minifigs are for my new project, of course, Star Wars based... so I cannot pass you my box, sorry... :classic:

I am reserving judgment until I can see more pics of the fighter from more angles or perhaps a display at a store. This is one that I was looking forward to, but on what I see so far I may pass. From the side view it doesn't look quite long enough. I know it's Lego, but I was hoping for a little more streamlined appearance on the back. I do like the torpedo play feature. Maybe I will pick it up one day if there is a sale.

This set poses so many questions - why remake this set so soon? Why make no changes? Why is the destroyer droid so bad (they got it right with Grievous) and why the daft price?

This is the only set this year that I'll be certain to avoid

Thanks for sharing this review, though like the others I'm not a fan of this set since it's almost the same as its previous release. I really wish that when TLG decides to remake a certain model there should be significant improvements - I'm still dreaming of the day when we'll finally get a properly-chromed N-1 starfighter in a regular, non-UCS set (I wouldn't mind shelling out a few more bucks for a more accurate and elegant looking ship).

Why don't you shell out the extra bucks on Bricklink for chrome pieces and build it that way? If TLG ever gets around to making another N-1, which is unlikely, the price of a chromed ship would be much more expensive than what you could build it for now.

This set poses so many questions - why remake this set so soon? Why make no changes? Why is the destroyer droid so bad (they got it right with Grievous) and why the daft price?

This is the only set this year that I'll be certain to avoid

I can answer the first question, if not the others. It certainly hasn't escaped you that there are several Episode I-themed sets coming out this summer, which could have something to do with The Phantom Menace being re-released in 3-D February of next year. I'm not sure why this influx of Episode 1 sets is showing up this year rather than next, but perhaps it has something to do with next year being the ten-year anniversary of Episode II, and thus a stronger focus on sets based on that film next year. Or perhaps there's something else Lucasfilms wants to begin promoting through merchandise in 2012.

I kind of agree about the Destroyer Droid being pretty bad. It's just way too tall compared to the ones in the movie. My twin brother has disagreed fervently with me on this-- he loves the new Destroyer Droid-- but in my opinion TLG still hasn't come up with a version that has the appearance, scale, and functionality all at acceptable levels. I wouldn't mind some specialized parts at this point-- they've created so many specialized droids and aliens by now, I see no reason the Destroyer Droid should continue to get the short end of the stick.

As for the set being nearly the same as the last version, though, I have to say I don't mind. I see a number of improvements from the last version, such as the lovely cockpit stickers. At the same time, I have to say I'm not remotely excited about this set compared to others from this year like the Sith Infiltrator or the podrace set-- after all, the reason I'm not upset about the lack of improvements in this one is because the last one did pretty well on its own IMO. I'm not a Star Wars buyer anyway, so I suppose my opinion doesn't count for much, but I just figured I'd share.

Good review. Some of the photos could stand to be improved a bit-- in particular, the cluttered backgrounds are a bit distracting, something I have trouble with in my own photos a lot of the time. And resizing/cropping some of the photos could make the topic easier to read. Still, I'm very grateful that you reviewed this set for us here at Eurobricks!

I kind of agree about the Destroyer Droid being pretty bad. It's just way too tall compared to the ones in the movie. My twin brother has disagreed fervently with me on this-- he loves the new Destroyer Droid-- but in my opinion TLG still hasn't come up with a version that has the appearance, scale, and functionality all at acceptable levels. I wouldn't mind some specialized parts at this point-- they've created so many specialized droids and aliens by now, I see no reason the Destroyer Droid should continue to get the short end of the stick.

I agree. I've said it before, I'll say it again - we need at least a specialized mold for the backplate and head and a new piece with bars on three sides in a triangle to attach the legs to. Shorter droid arms (think mechanical Ninjago skellie arms) wouldn't be a bad thing either.

qui-gons beard is too big, but looks good anyway

... Qui-gon isn't in this set... :hmpf_bad:

Thanks for the review! This'll be a pass for me; it's nothing special and I already have the second version... and half of the first version :blush:

A remake of a set that alot of people weren't impressed with the first time.