Sign in to follow this  
CopMike

Monorail Emerald Night Train from Brickworld

traintech1.jpg

Here´s a video of the two monorail trains, Emerald Night Train & Metroliner, that I brought to BW for mine & Hinckley´s Fabuland Train Club set-up.

I´ll soon post some pictures of the train also - enjoy this in the meantime :sweet: !

CopMike

Nicely done! The reduced scale of the Emerald Night works very well. All the inhabitants of Fabuland can't be getting much sleep at night with a steam engine rattling their windows at night :classic:

Ignoring the absurdity of a monorail steam train, I love it! :tongue: I'm suprised it has so many cars; was that only one motor?

I love the Metroliner as well... and I wish I was there.

Ignoring the absurdity of a monorail steam train, I love it! :tongue:

Exactly what made it so unbelievably cool. :classic: I saw this in person (even got to touch it) and it really is a great piece of work. I noticed that Kjeld, Jørgen, and Tormod were pretty interested in this one when they stopped by.

-Dave

ToT-LUG

Monorail steam train... You absolutely rock. :thumbup: What an awesome highlight...

Next up - amphibian Santa Fe Super Chief? :tongue:

Those look good. You should post how your were able to add more cars to the Emerald Night. That has stumped me for some time with my own monorails.

Ignoring the absurdity of a monorail steam train, I love it!

Ditto.

But the job done is great. And I think that the metroliner actually seems better as a monorail than a regular train.

Nice! I love the little short car at the end of the Emerald. This is really a great display you guys created.

Great job! :thumbup:

Love how you've converted the Metroliner and Emerald Night into monorails. :wub:

You did an amazing job - great work!

I talked to you at Brickworld about these, I loved em'!

You got the scale done on the Emerald Night so well, from the main engine to the passenger car, it all looked as if it was a set.

Ignoring the absurdity of a monorail steam train, I love it! :tongue: I'm suprised it has so many cars; was that only one motor?

I was wondering about that too. The monorail motor isn't that powerful in my experience and can't handle much more than the standard two-car setup while going up ramps.

This is extremely cool in any case. :thumbup:

Wouldn't it be cool if this were blogged?

OK, so it's not Brothers-Brick, but I think it's pretty cool. :blush:

Those are well build and the absurdity of a steam powered monorail is just hilarious! :laugh:

The whole display you guys have build looks just terrific, i wish i could have seen it IRL.

Looking forward to some more pics!

Wow, I love this!

I especially love the Metroliner. Could I see some more of that? I really want to copy it completely, erm, make my own!

Great work, and I'm in complete love with that Metroliner!

:wub:

~A.S.

Thanks everyone for your feedback :sweet:! I´m glad that you like the way I moved the frontiers of monorail a bit closer to the regular trains. I will continue to play around with this in the future now that I´ve gone all-in on monorail tracks etc :laugh:!

Yes, only one motor. And it ran for 11 hours straight during the two days the event was open :thumbup: .
Nice! I love the little short car at the end of the Emerald. This is really a great display you guys created.

Great job! :thumbup:

The short car is an Emerald Caboose I built during the last hours on sunday. I got a couple of 10194 sets and had to try it out.
Those look good. You should post how your were able to add more cars to the Emerald Night. That has stumped me for some time with my own monorails.
Each car has a 3176 modified plate as coupler:

3176.gif

Between that I have two different types of pins and a technic connector or liftarm.

Here´s some pictures to compare it with the original:

gallery_148_30_21019.jpg On the opposite side of the engine it says TRAIN.

gallery_148_30_39841.jpg

gallery_148_30_17935.jpg

gallery_148_30_18633.jpg

I thought we would run it on an up&down track so I didn´t mount any buffers in the front. The Emerald is 4 studs wide except for the motor cover which I had to make 5 studs wide. The Metroliner is 6 studs wide all the way through.

Wouldn't it be cool if this were blogged?

OK, so it's not Brothers-Brick, but I think it's pretty cool. :blush:

Yeah, I´ve been blogged :wub:!

CopMike

I was thinking that too, but it is a good idea nonetheless, and a good excuse to put a monorail in Fabuland City, and ( :tongue: ) nice downscaling of Emerald Night. How many Emerald Nights did you buy to make the train and the carriages?

I like it a lot, the style of Emerald Night is carried beautifully in the reduced "monorailified" version.

Incidentally, we had a steam monorail here in Ireland at one stage. In Kerry you'll probably not be surprised to hear. The Listowel and Ballybunion Railway was a Lartigue Monorail.

The Metroliner makes a wonderful monorail. The Emerald Night does look odd as a monorail because it looks unbelievable but it looks good downsized.

What a wonderful monorail! :wub:

The emerald of monorails so to say. :laugh:

Since you told me in Günzburg about this I desperately waited to see those photos.

Thank you so much for showing them.

Now I´ll get to build... you know what I was talking about at our event, so shhhhh - don´t tell anyone. :wink:

The only problem (as always) is time.

I was very amazed to see the Emerald night monorail in person. It was so cool. It is a very fine peice of work. to bad they don't make a set for it. :hmpf_bad:

There is so much grandiosity within this design that I am in a state of shock!

It is such a great idea to modify something and make it into something that has never before been done.

This layout is looks similar to the main street in my Lego City. Except for the execution of the elevated train has surpassed the level that mine currently rests. I am tempted to source some monorail tracks, even though I am afraid there will be none available anywhere!! haha.

Very nice work here! I must now watch the video once again!! :classic:

What a cute little monorail! :wub:

Yeah, it was so worth waiting to get back so I could say that. :grin: Nice job CopMike on an absurdly interesting monorail train, I'm sure everyone must have loved it at BrickWorld. I really like how you managed to incorporate the same design and shape of the original loco into the very limited space of the monorail cars, that must have taken some effort! I can't belive you managed to get so many carriages on their as well, that motor must have been a pretty good one. :laugh: From the video it looks like it could put on some good speed. The caboose was certainly a nice touch too.

The Metroliner also looks fantastic, I have always loved that train. :thumbup: Very sleek design, especially the roof, and the coloured strips match up really nicely too.

All in all, a brilliant effort I must say. :sweet:

Great stuff CopMike! :thumbup:

I like your MOD, or should I say MOC, of the Emerald Night.

I really hope Lego will re-release the monorail system in the future. :wub:

Hey Copmike, apparently we had the same idea! I had not seen your mini Emerald Night but well, the shape of the monorail train just asks for it, right? So here's mine:

4170972925_0b78b44ba1.jpg

Click for more detail shots and a Youtube video. Does yours also have space for microfigs inside?

I wonder how you solved the battery box problem - the thing is 4 wide (or are there smaller ones which you used?) but I don't really see where you hid it. Mine is behind those faux wheels, which does make the engine a bit wide.

Wow I must have missed this, good job on reviving this thread! :grin:

Very cool and excellent work!

I love Monorails, this one is kind of strange to me , :look: but who cares, it still is very cool!

Also nice job eti! Your EN Monorail is also very nice too!

Edited by Macoco