• Excellent

index2.jpg

Name: 3367 Space Shuttle

Theme: LEGO City - Space

Year: 2011

Piece Count: 231

Minifigs: 1

Price: $39.99 CDN, $29.99 USD

Having released Shuttle Adventure last year, LEGO is back this year with another Space Shuttle. This time in the City Space theme.

THE BOX:

The box is 10" x 15" X 2". It has pretty photos of the product and the real NASA Space Shuttle.

picture_11815.jpg

picture_11816.jpg

INSIDE THE BOX:

Inside the box contains 2 plastic bags of parts, 1 loose plate, 1 small sticker sheet and 1 instruction booket. The bags are numbered 1 and 2.

picture_11822.jpg

MINIFIGURES:

The set comes with 1 minifigure. A male astronaut. He looks kind of grumpy. Maybe he didn't get his coffee. Lets fix that with a number one standard grin head transplant (not included in the set).

picture_11840.jpg

THE BUILD:

The build was very straight forward with the numbered bags. The printed instructions were clear and easy to follow. It shouldn't be any trouble for little children to build by following the pictures.

picture_11824.jpg

The completed Space Shuttle front view. I opted not to sticker mine.

picture_11827.jpg

The back view.

picture_11828.jpg

In the cockpit. LEGO seems to like their coffee. I am not sure having an opened cup of coffee in the cockpit is a good idea.

picture_11826.jpg

PARTS:

Interesting parts. Printed nose cone, large one piece tail, extra helmet (Atlantis style?)

picture_11823.jpg

Extra pieces.

picture_11825.jpg

COMPARISON:

Here is a side by side comparison with Shuttle Adventure:

picture_11830.jpg

Inside both have a satellite cargo for deployment.

picture_11831.jpg

The Space Shuttle is a bit smaller than the Shuttle Adventure. It is not as detailed. It doesn't have retracting landing gear. On the other hand, it can stand up to more rough play than the Shuttle Adventure. There aren't as many small pieces to fall off and put back together.

SUMMARY:

Playability: 10/10

Design: 8/10

Price: 7/10 (17 cents CAD/piece)

Parts: 7/10

Minifigures: 7/10

Overall: 8/10

Lego has done a good job with the Space Shuttle in my opinion. It is quite playable and swooshing it around is fun. The bay doors open and a satellite can be deployed with the Canadian Arm. I think the target audience for this set are kids. AFOLs will probably opt for the Shuttle Adventure/Expedition.

The Canadian price per piece is 17 cents CAD. That's pretty high compared to the 10 cents CAD per piece on the Shuttle Adventure/Expedition. I don't know if LEGO has to pay a NASA licensing fee. The US price is better at 12 cents USD per piece. From a parent point of view, spending $40/$30 for a kid is easier than $100+.

If you are Space Shuttle fan or have kids who like the Space Shuttle, it is worth considering.

Prepared for launch:

picture_11833.jpg

Edited by Zorbas
Indexed

Very cool review dr_spock! The engines are really nice, but I think my favorite

part is usually the wheels on the planes. :grin: The old nasa sets had some great wheels then some terrible ones.

Is this already reviewed somewhere? :thumbup:

Great review for a great set! This set looks nice and has some good features in it. :thumbup:

Very well done on the review. :classic:

~buddy~

I actually don't like this set much. The shuttles back to 1990s were way more realistic in terms of design yet simpler and smaller. Here, only back part with fire coming out appeals to me.

1 minifig for a relatively large set is a bad contemporary traidition at Lego.

I can say the best set out of the line is the Van 3366.

I got this set and was a bit disappointed. I think it would be a good build for the younger Lego fan. Visually, I think it looks nice. I wasn't originally going to get it, but after seeing it on display in the Lego store I decided to buy it.

A few things I think would have improved the set.

• Have some way to latch the cargo doors shut
  • Include an extra mini figure
  • Include some tool accessories
  • Use a different hinge mechanism on the wing flaps
  • Make the rear landing gear easier to remove for ease of play

Thanks 'spock' for this review, an excellent space shuttle.....well in the beginning I didn't like it but after building mine I was happy with it. :sweet:

Brick On ! :grin:

Great review, although I'd rather save up and get the Shuttle Adventure.

Thanks for the very nice review dr_spock. :thumbup:

I built this set two weeks ago and I like it. The build wasn't something too spectacular but the finished model left me satisfied. I really like the printed detail on the cockpit/nose piece and the back of the shuttle looks pretty impressive with the turbines burning.

The small sattelite is a nice addition and the only thing that I would improve is the way the doors open in the sattelite's cargo area. It should have been a bit "smoother" I think. I really love the new NASA minifigs and the gold helmet really adds to the look.

He looks kind of grumpy. Maybe he didn't get his coffee. Lets fix that with a number one standard grin head transplant (not included in the set).

Great move! :sweet: I'm not a fan of that particular head either.

Thanks again for the review and props for the 10213 comparison photos. :thumbup:

P.S

Am I the only one that found the instructions' way of placing the rear wheels odd?

Great review 'dr_spock'. I don't think I will be getting this as I would rather get the more realistic one. There are too many colors :classic:

I'm not a huge fan of this set. It's not terrible, but it seems pretty lacking in detail and looks more like a smallish airplane than a spacefairing vessel. And with the excellent Shuttle Adventure available, I don't see a reason to pick this up at all.

Thanks for the review!

Thanks guys. :classic:

P.S

Am I the only one that found the instructions' way of placing the rear wheels odd?

It seems kind of pointed backwards. I think I'll reuse the landing gears for a SCA (Shuttle Carrier Aircraft) MOD.