JimBee

REVIEW: 21050 Create Your Own Architecture

Set Rating  

59 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, how do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

gallery_6705_157_22742.png

9388923918_0736ef2764_z.jpg

Hello, and welcome to my review of the brand new Architecture Studio set, 21050 Create Your Own Architecture. First of all, I would like to thank The LEGO Group and all of those who are involved on Eurobricks who've made this review possible. This is a very exclusive set that has just been released in the United States (and is rumored to appear worldwide soon), and I'm sure many are curious to know the details. Well look no further, because this review will investigate this new set in-depth. Read on!

Set: 21050 Create Your Own Architecture

Theme: Architecture (Studio)

Pieces: 1210

Minifigures: 0

Price: $149.99 USD

Brickset

Bricklink Catalog

The Box

9385528673_e9e29cb817_z.jpg

The first thing to notice about this set is that the box is HUGE. Unlike most boxes, this one has square sides, which make it larger depth-wise. It is also sizable length- and height-wise. A few other things to note are the relatively large piece count and the age. 16+ years is the oldest recommended age I've seen on a set box, so that might hint at the nature of the set. However, the contents prove to be a mystery; I wasn't sure what to expect when the set first arrived. This may also be the case for the casual customer who would only glance at the box on the shelf in the store.

9385528689_f210512afd_z.jpg

The back of the box is much more helpful in determining what this set is all about, and provides a description as well as pictures. The lack of focus on the actual pieces or builds of the set may be of some interest here.

9388299964_32835a487f_z.jpg

Aha, so this is no traditional LEGO set. In reality, it's more of a beginners guide to Architecture and LEGO, which I will touch on more later in this review. This set can be compared to LEGO parts buckets, in that no real set design is given, but creativity and building your own creations with the parts given is encouraged.

9385527333_152c1fca7e_z.jpg

Here's a shot of the box from an angle, showing the proportions. Have I mentioned that it's huge? :grin:

9385527421_afc6ede642_z.jpg

9385525933_16e741b8d3_z.jpg

The top and bottom of the box depict inspirational models and production information. I'd like to highlight the note on the bottom of the set for a moment.

9298957658_961abe4249_z.jpg

The inspiration is all well and good, and encourages builders to combine these parts with the rest of their collection, but I find it a bit of a letdown to not be able to build these models with the pieces given. This occurs several other times in the process of exploring this set.

9385526199_b714a991b1_z.jpg

9388301766_24d125bd54_z.jpg

The sides of the box show the parts listing (which is fairly uncommon in my experience) as well as all of the contents spilled out and sorted.

9298946498_a528a215ef_z.jpg

Opening the box was a bit of a challenge since there were no punch-holes or flaps. The only way to open it would be to rip the cardboard partially, which is what I had to do. I imagine the reason for this design would be to prevent theft, but the box would have been nice for storage because of its shape and volume.

The Contents:

9385519603_171ac34ceb_z.jpg

Moving on to the actual contents of this set, the first thing to slide out is a pair of clear sorting trays, which will be used to hold some of the parts. I'm not sure if these are new, but they sure are neat, and would be helpful for sorting parts of any collection. The plastic tray is also an "official" LEGO part, so I challenge MOCers to incorporate it somehow into their creations. :wink:

9385524623_166bdb520a_z.jpg9388298526_4aa97ac464_z.jpg

Next up is a small double-sided slip of paper advertising a survey that allows entry for a raffle for the Fransworth House set. Both sides are the same except for the language.

9298955478_1e900957f1_z.jpg

These things were used to protect the contents from getting damaged in the box, but they can also be used for holding pieces. Innovative! :thumbup:

9388297404_7a219523e9_z.jpg

Next come the bags of parts, and there are a lot of them. I'll go into more detail later on.

9296175375_874d7df2b3_z.jpg

And finally, the true focus of the set: the booklet. It comes in a protective cardboard case that, like the other cardboard trays, doubles as a place to put parts.

The Pieces:

Before we head into the booklet, I would like to show the pieces included with the set. As I'm sure you've noticed, the pieces are mostly all white - only a few trans-clear parts mix it up. This has its pros and cons. On one hand, the monochromatic parts selection is simple and easy to use. Since the focus of this set is to serve as an introduction to architectural techniques used with LEGO parts, this allows builders to explore the techniques discussed in the book and design things with ease and without much distraction. This set also makes for a good source of white parts in bulk. On the other hand, having all white pieces is very bland and is extremely limiting for some tasks.

9386149565_fab0565a5b_z.jpg

Here's the first half of the pieces organized by type into the provided trays. Larger 2xX bricks are left loose since there was no room to put them; another tray might have been nice, but the set box itself can also hold pieces if needed. As you can see from this picture, there are healthy portions of all types of pieces, even if the selection is monochromatic.

9388923064_6fe6e4261a_z.jpg

9386147671_23f4e7c038_z.jpg

And here are the cardboard trays filled with 1xX bricks, slopes, and plates. Again, there is a wide variety of pieces, and each piece type comes in a large quantity which is extremely helpful for building. There aren't any rare or unusual parts, but plenty of basic and universally "useful" ones. It seems this set leans more towards basic building where a lack of parts rarely becomes an issue. I think that's a plus if this set is considered to be a beginner's guide to architecture and LEGO.

Click here for a complete parts listing.

Let's move on to the main focus of the set, the book.

The Book:

9388296248_30150f0015_z.jpg

9385518855_f408c199ba_z.jpg

For those who were expecting a simple instruction booklet (myself included) are in for a pleasant surprise. The focal point of 21050 is in fact this hefty 272-page book with tons of information held inside.

So, what's inside, exactly? Basically, the book features many techniques, tips, and tricks for using LEGO as a medium to design architecture. Real buildings and other examples of architecture are featured, and renowned architects share their wisdom on some of the knowledge involved in the profession itself. Moreover, the focus is using LEGO as the medium (versus drawing, rendering, or some other method of sharing ideas on architecture).

The set as a whole can viewed as a bridge for young builds and Fans of LEGO who have an interest in pursuing architecture as a career. We already know that our favorite interlocking bricks can spark an interest in such things even from a very young age, and with the new Architecture Studio line that idea will be reinforced and encouraged by TLG. Or at least, that seems to be the goal of this first Studios set.

9385520583_de7fb089d7_z.jpg

Back to the book itself, the spine reveals the impressive thickness of the book. There's no deception involved, either: the book is chock full of information and images. Let's take a look.

9296172081_5107055649_z.jpg

The two-page index gives an overview of what will be featured. There's a variety of different areas explored as well, from techniques to real-world architectural workshops and projects. The actual method in which architects design, propose, and follow through with their ideas is also explained, as are aspects of building to consider (such as space, mass, density, visual appeal, etc.). There are even a few pages in the back for taking notes and drawing sketches.

Now, let's look at some pages.

9296167833_5a881e1af3_z.jpg

As you can see from this snapshot, there is a good balance of visuals and text for the most effective appeal to readers. Also seen on this page, there are constant connections between LEGO and actual architecture. The official Fallingwater set is featured here.

9296167643_e78e59db45_z.jpg

This page shows some brainstorming techniques used by architects, and how that process can be transformed with LEGO. As mentioned previously, there are sections in this book that will require pieces not included in the set. This particular page focuses on the use of color to distinguish separate parts of a building. However, this technique cannot be practiced with this set as there are only white pieces included.

While the typical FOL should have the parts necessary to something as simple as this, it is still slightly annoying to not be able to do the techniques with the set they were intended for.

9298945684_40c89488c5_z.jpg

Some of the wordier pages are broken up by stunning visuals such as on these pages. The model featured can actually be built with the parts included in the set, and the illustration is indeed very inspirational. :thumbup: Creativity and "thinking outside the box" are really hit home within this book. Remember when just a few bricks could represent a car to a child? The same imaginative qualities are encouraged here.

Throughout the book, architectural techniques and strategies are demonstrated through the use of LEGO bricks, and most of the time the demonstrations are able to be copied by the builder with the provided parts. The directions given for shown models aren't so much instructions (as seen in traditional LEGO set booklets), but rather guidelines to instigate deeper thought into designing with LEGO parts and to spark creativity. In other words, the models shown in the book aren't meant to be followed to the T and recreated perfectly by the builder; they're meant to exemplify architectural strategies translated into LEGO.

Conclusion:

As a beginner's guide to using LEGO as a medium for communicating architectural design, this set is excellent for those interested in such things. The set's focus seems to be on teen-aged builders with an interest in pursuing architecture as a career, but AFOLs may be interested as well. Younger builders will probably pass this one up in favor of themed, traditional sets. 21050 also makes for a good parts pack, but buying the set solely for that reason might be unwise financially since all of the parts are common and can probably be bought cheaper from Bricklink. As mentioned earlier in the review, the book is chock full of information and is presented well. All of the tips and tricks are interesting and cohesive, and the concepts discussed are easy to grasp even for beginners of architecture.

I'd recommend this set to anyone with even the slightest interest in architecture, which I imagine includes many AFOLs and TFOLs because of the ties between the study and the hobby of building with LEGO. This set is the embodiment of those similarities that teaches at a basic level, and promotes creativity. 21050 may not necessarily make you want to study architecture as a profession (although it can certainly reinforce the desire, especially in TFOLs), but at the very least it offers plenty of useful parts as well as tips that can even improve your MOCing skills.

Here are the ratings and rundown of the set.

Build/Design: N/A (There are no official builds for this set; instead the builder's own creativity using the tips from the book guide is encouraged.)

Playability: 9/10 (The book offers hours of reading of strategies and techniques used by real architects, and translates them for use with LEGO pieces. The parts provided can perform most of the examples, and can otherwise demonstrate the techniques in hundreds of ways. By no means traditional, this set acts as more of a guide for beginning builders and/or architects.)

Minifugres: N/A

Parts: 8/10 (Plenty of basic, useful parts in bulk are provided. The only downside is that the selection is limited to mostly white pieces with a few trans-clear ones to mix it up. This flaw becomes especially apparent when the book calls for pieces not included in the set to demonstrate an architectural technique.)

Price: 10/10 (Considering the main focus of this set is the 272-page beginner's guide, the value of the 1210 basic pieces is pretty balanced with the price. Not to mention the very useful sorting trays included. The set isn't for everyone, but for those are interested in all it has to offer, it's a pretty nice deal.)

Final Score: 27/30. It was hard to quantify the ratings for such an nontraditional set, but I would say it earns top marks. There doesn't seem to be anything majorly lacking in any area. My main gripe with the set has to do with the limits placed on color selection, but I suppose including more colors while keeping the large quantities of parts would only increase the price. As it is, 21050 makes for an excellent beginner's guide to architecture and LEGO.

---

...And that about wraps this review up, thanks for reading! Feel free to leave a comment below discussing this set. :classic:

If you're interested in making professional-looking reviews, please consider signing up for the Reviewers Academy.

sml_gallery_6705_157_16357.png

Thanks for the review, JimButcher!

This set looks pretty good, and very informational too! I'm tempted to try and get this set too, as it makes a frat parts pack in white!

Nice review. As far as buying the parts goes, on the blog the New Elementary caperberry figured out what it would cost to buy the parts from Bricklink and discovered that it would probably run you at least $150 to purchase them all. But you wouldn't get that great looking book or those sorting trays. It would be cool if Lego puts out some supplements for this, perhaps just colored bricks without the book, at a lower price.

http://www.newelementary.com/2013/07/like-virgin.html

Wow, what a surprise! I really love the idea behind this. This would be an amazing present for a kid in her teens who is interested in architecture or city planning. Right up there with NXT and the flagship Technic sets. Great to see Lego cotinuing to be educational!

The white may be limiting, but it's sort of standard for achitectural models. It would limit the set's functionality more if they had substituted different colors of bricks, IMO.

Thanks for the review. I will definitely pass on this, but mostly because I don't need any white bricks. The booklet is probably worth it, but I don't want to spend 150 on that.

It does have some nice visuals and a large piece selection.

Great review, thanks. I like this set, but for me the price is not among the best since the book shows parts not included in the set. However that's a good set (it doesn't mean that I'm going to buy it)..

I love seeing TLC diving into this more 'conceptual' type of sets, which in my opinion is great for underlining the point of Lego. I'll wait and see the price of the thing over here before deciding whether to get it, but if it's anywhere near reasonable, I think I will.

Holy Moly! Is that 40 x 1x1 transparent tiles I'm spotting!?

We have been asking for that piece for ages. It's right up there with trans jumpers on my wanted list.

I have to get this set for those parts.

Holy Moly! Is that 40 x 1x1 transparent tiles I'm spotting!?

We have been asking for that piece for ages. It's right up there with trans jumpers on my wanted list.

I have to get this set for those parts.

I'm sorry - it's just 1x1 plates. I'd have loved tiles as well. =(

Thanks for the review 'JB' of this very interesting product, I'll pass as well.....though it seems to be an adult version of one of those basic creator sets for 4 to 6 year olds......and I mean adult/grown-ups version. :wink:

Thanks for doing such a great review! I really hope this set gets released outside of the US, unlike the Master Builder sets :(

Nice review. Fairly lackluster parts selection though.

The book looks huge, justifying the price a little more. But I can't help feel that this set would be more appreciated if the bricks were light grey instead.

It's a sort of weird set - I can't tell what makes it more than a white parts pack with inspirational pictures and techniques. Would you mind sharing pictures of models that the book pushes you to build so we can get a flavour of how the set is supposed to work?

Thanks for the great review.

From a pure parts standpoint I think I may already own this set, give or take a couple wedges and sufficient numbers of the 4733 4-stud 1x1 in white. When I first heard about this I really wasn't sure what to think of it; "A monochrome basic brick bucket for adults? Could be okay, but where's the value added over a Bricklink order?" Well, thanks to you, now I know.

I'm warming to the idea and will probably pick one up. Perhaps if this set succeeds, they'll consider making one in 95% tan, light bley or other suitably muted "architectural" color, with the other 5% of the kit consisting of reasonably sized earth green plates and 1 by X black tiles to make Architecture-line compatible bases for our creations. I'm curious to see how this concept does in the long run and I think I'm actually looking forward to getting a copy of that book.

Thanks again.

This looks like a great set with lots of oportunity for learning. I plan to get his set, not so much for the parts pack, but the book sounds great!

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I'm gonna get just the book if I can one day, how big is the box?

Looks nice, but the fact that you can't build the creation that's advertised on the box is unusual, if not a deal breaker. 4/5.

Nicely done, Jim!

Edited by Mataroa

Great review! I too was dissapointed at the picture on the side that shows a beautiful city that cannot be built with this set. I also would have preferred tan instead of white elements. Still looks like a great set though, and I would really like to check out the book thats included.

$150 for a bunch of somewhat common white pieces is too much for me. Is there really a demand for so many large sets? But for fans of the line it's neat.

Thanks for the review of this very interesting "set." Because it is the first of its kind, it is difficult to judge how well it will do in terms of sales and if we individuals will need one of these. It is great to see another Architecture theme offering because these sets have been well received by so many adults.

I attended one of the Barnes & Noble play sessions based on this set last Friday, and decided to hold off on the purchase because all I really want at this point is the book. Most EBers have oodles of white pieces, so the book may be of more interest to many. Has TLG said if it will sell the book alone, for how much and when? That seems to be the big question here. And it seems a tad unreal that they would use photos of models one cannot build with pieces in the set; not sure why they would do this, but it is upsetting.

Again it is great to see another set in this line. Like many others, I am more focused on collecting the other Architecture sets before spending this kind of money on random white parts. But I can see how it may be very appealing to those with few bricks.

Thanks for the comprehensive and detailed review. This is a very unusual product. I can't help but feel that the inability to build the models "inspired" by the book with the parts in the box is a major flaw. If an independent collection of LEGO parts is required, then why bother to include these particular parts? Personally, I would be interested in buying the book apart from the kit if it was available. I don't really need all the white parts, but I'd be very interested to read the book.

Hi

thanks for the nice review. Now i have a better feeling what we get if we purchase this "set".

I agree with Blakbird, if the book is THE keypart of the set and it is somewhat independenced from the bricks (because you can not build everything that is shown in the book), why not sell the book alone.

I wonder why those creative Lego designers can not even show their reference ideas in the book made with the sets parts. I am not asking for a manual for those ideas, but showing nice models but not been able to reproduce them is disappointing.

150$ and maybe 150€ seems to be a lot for an unlicensed set.

Dino

150$ and maybe 150€ seems to be a lot for an unlicensed set.

If I were just considering the pieces, I'd expect it to be around $120, but there is also the 272-page book that needs subsidising through the price we pay. I think the book comprises a significant amount of the price, and I imagine lots more work went into it than just into an instruction booklet.