Sign in to follow this  
mikey

1383 - Studios - Curse of the Pharaoh Review

This set was released in 2002, and was part of the Lego Studios Theme. It consists of 41 pieces and 2 MiniFigs, according to the BrickLink inventory.

5107517270_def64bf6cd_z.jpg

The front and back of the box.

5107521652_f40788f6cb_z.jpg

The front of the instructions, showing an alledged play feature.

5107521654_ba571fcf60_z.jpg

The back of the instructions, showing an alternative model, which is arguably better than the actual set...

5107521660_70b882c88c_z.jpg

Inside the box...

5107521716_6f72346666_z.jpg

The pieces...

Tan is one of my favourate colours, im sure the finger hinge will be usefull one day. As I only have a handfull of the old greys, the dark grey arches and slopes are not particulary valued by me, but if you did use those colours these are all really good pieces.

5107521718_83fb3a3dd6.jpg

Some interesting pieces. I really like the Modified Brick with Lion Head, and it is nice to have it in such a good colour as Tan. The Trans-Neon Green Spider is not rare, but its certainly interesting. The skull is 'glow in the dark', and only appears in this set, to be fair it glows very nicely in the dark. But I find it difficult to build in the dark, so im not sure how much use I will really get out of it. Still nice to know that it does glow if I need it to though!

I bought this set for one reason:

5107521722_1ccf0f77ae.jpg

The undead Mummy. When it comes to the Undead MiniFig, this is as good as it gets for me. Im not knocking any of the Adventurers Mummy MiniFigs (which I also wish to possess), but they dont look like they've been dead for 5000 years. Starting at the top we have a faded and mottled headdress, a double sided head with bandages which can switch between awake and sleeping, the torso with old bandages, and great printed legs. Being 2002 there is no back printing, which is a shame because that would have really set this off perfectly. As you might guess I am very pleased with this.

The second MiniFig is the old style skeleton. Having held one in my hands I much prefer the newer design. You might notice that the torso has started to yellow a little, this was a sealed box, and the other white pieces are perfect.

5107524120_1bceed53ca.jpg

The build is quick.

5107524122_395dd19d9b_z.jpg

And not particulary exciting.

5107524126_b4a1cccfcb_m.jpg

The spare pieces.

5107524128_6016e10ee7.jpg

The finished set. This is (or was) an impulse set, so its not fair to expect to much. The idea is (the instructions have a comic detailing this), that the Mummy goes wandering around, gets tired, then comes back to his chamber, to find a pesky skeleton stuck to the lid of his sleeping area...

5107524130_e247b09a27.jpg

When the Mummy opens the lid, and the finger hinge is pushed open, the glow in the dark skull which is placed in the box created by the two tan panels falls out. So not only is the Mummy surprised by the skeleton, he gets a shock from the rolling skull...

Great!

This is why I honestly think that the alternative model is just as valid as the actual model...

Anyway I did not buy the set for the model, I bought it for the Mummy MiniFig, and I am very pleased to have this in my collection.

Edited by mikey

Ahh, I remember getting this set in Gamelys in Sutton. I couldn't wait to play with it so I started building the figures in British Home Stores (BHS). I loved the Mummy figure and it was my first Skelly, So I you could imagine my amazement! Good times... :thumbup:

Good review, I'm no review critic but I believe you set it out nicely! Is this a brand new packaged set, Or one of your old ones? Cause my mummies face has nearly scratched off by now... :grin:

Good review, I'm no review critic but I believe you set it out nicely! Is this a brand new packaged set, Or one of your old ones? Cause my mummies face has nearly scratched off by now... :grin:

cheers, I wish it was one of my old sets... I pay the premimum for being in my Dark Ages when Lego was releasing such interesting MiniFigs in the Studios and Adventurers Themes! This was worth every penny though.