Sign in to follow this  

Exactly as the title says. In the wake of a lot of people being disappointed about the 42056 Porsche set, I’ve decided to create this topic so that we can discuss the ideal features of our personal greatest supercar, and see what kind of overlap there is. There are 3 major sub categories for the things wanted, so I’ve divided it up accordingly.

Looks:

If it’s a real car, what make/manufacturer? Or should it be something original?

Full body, or 8848 style framed body?

Color?

1:8 or 1:10?

Large model, or smaller, dense one?

Features:

What kind of engine?

Remote control, or no remote control?

Power Functions (Lights and/or motors), or no?

Which of these features matter to you?

Brakes

Four wheel steering

Windshield wipers

Active aerodynamics

Adjustable seats

Realistic suspension geometry, I.E. Ackerman correction, caster, kingpin inclination, a suspension type that is not double wishbone.

Convertible top

Locking or limited slip differentials

Is a manual gearbox fine, or would some kind of sequential gearbox be preferred?

Extra steering knob, or just cockpit steering?

What kind of new parts would you want?

Presentation:

What do you want more emphasis on, looks or functions?

Presentation box, or standard box?

Regular manual, or one with technical info?

Price Range?

Advanced instructions, and non color coded parts, or is the current system okay?

B model, or no B model?

Going on this list, I’ve got 3 possible versions, which I will go through.

#1: BMW i8

Model can be built one of 2 ways: full body, or skeletal body to show mechanics. B model is Convertible version.

1:10 scale

Features adjustable seats, realistic suspension geometry, uses control arms like real thing, windshield wipers, brakes, opening hood and doors with locks. There is no gearbox, but there would be some kind of system to allow the demonstration of how the hybrid system works in an RC vehicle, and lights.

New parts: Generic rims with good offset, BMW specific wheel caps, new hubs with no slop, and new large CV joints. New crankshaft pieces for the engine, and maybe a couple of new panels, and new motors, with foldable battery box, and Bluetooth/Rf based control system.

White and blue.

Window box showing major components.

Manual is thinner, with more parts per step, and has room for convertible instructions, and some technical information. No coffee table book.

No color barf, black 2l axles, black 3l axles, black 3l pins, and no yellow/red axles.

#2 Mercedes G63 AMG 6x6

1:8 scale with no B model

Unimog tires.

Features Adjustable seats, live axle suspension, Pneumatic diff locks, pneumatically adjustable ride height, 7 speed sequential gearbox, unless Lego could figure out how to make an automatic one, full interior, opening hood/ doors, sunroof,working steering wheel and brake pedals, working speedometer, removeable bodywork, brakes, remotely located controls for steering, brakes, and gearbox disguised in cargo bed, portal axles, lights.

New parts: Generic rims with good offset, Mercedes specific wheel caps, printed parts for badges, reinforced U joints, spline shaft, new portal axle pieces with better spacing and kingpin inclination, new 9 volt battery box, grooved cam for gear shifting, new connectors.

Metallic silver, with chromed components.

Standard box.

Manual is thinner, with more parts per step, and has an appendix of technical information.

No color barf, black 2l axles, no color coding, and no yellow/red axles.(sense a pattern here?)

#3: Original design

1:8 scale model, approx.

Design is actually more like Nissan GTR, or Porsche Panemara, being a 4 seat sports wagon with trunk.

Features 4 wheel steering, adjustable suspension which is not double wishbone, opening doors/hood/trunk, active aerodynamics, detailed engine, 7 speed gearbox, all wheel drive with limited slip differentials, working gauges, adjustable seats, windshield wipers, sunroof, and hideable rear seats.

Black with silver highlights.

New parts: New rims with good offset, swapable caps for either trucks or cars, new hubs/ suspension parts, new large CV joint parts which allow good steering angle, spline shaft, grooved cams for gearbox, new connectors, and panels.

Box with window showing off new components, is otherwise standard.

Manual is thinner, with more parts per step, and room for information on how the set was designed.

No color barf, black 2L axles, no color coding and no yellow/red axles. (Seriously, there is no other line in Lego, not even City, that makes similar parts in different colors, especially when that would hurt the look of the model.)

That’s what I’ve got, I’d like to see what you guys think.

1st rule - front suspension i.e. McPherson type

2nd rule - proper real steering geometry

3rd rule - ok it does not count if the two previous one are done... the rest then is irrevelant

What I want is a supercar with the "cool factor". I want it to look awesome (like the Corvette C8 concept rendering pictured below) and have intricate functions like butterfly doors and a gearbox with many speeds.

2017-Chevrolet-Corvette-Zora-ZR1-price-9-300x185.jpg

Some other wants are:

A full body with panels and flex axles,

front suspension with a caster angle,

proper steering geometry, and

four wheel steering.

Edited by Offroadcreat1ons

1St - engineering - geometry, brakes,etc.

2nd - looks - cool factor

PF all the way,when more powerful,better

All that matters is that it accomplishes what technic is supposed to - functionality and following the real thing as closely as possible. Clearly the Porsche fails to follow this underneath the accurate bodywork. It was full of opportunities to improve upon hubs (reducing slack and offering multiple mounting points for complex suspension, and maybe some parts that can be used to create a mcpherson suspension but that can be used elsewhere, and a revival of the spherical gear CV joint technique. The model doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to improve upon the old or fix known issues. I appreciate the new wheels, now we need proper parts to follow. As for specific models, anything rally-style would be great, something outside the typical road-car range.

+1

Completely agree with that.Instead of that fancy packaging that will deteriorate over time they could have included more realistic functions.

I really would like to see a "lite" version of porsche, having normal packaging and instructions

All that matters is that it accomplishes what technic is supposed to - functionality and following the real thing as closely as possible. Clearly the Porsche fails to follow this underneath the accurate bodywork. It was full of opportunities to improve upon hubs (reducing slack and offering multiple mounting points for complex suspension, and maybe some parts that can be used to create a mcpherson suspension but that can be used elsewhere, and a revival of the spherical gear CV joint technique. The model doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to improve upon the old or fix known issues. I appreciate the new wheels, now we need proper parts to follow. As for specific models, anything rally-style would be great, something outside the typical road-car range.

I second every word of the above.

I would also like to see a rally-inspired car. Something with substantial ground clearance, substantial suspension travel - maybe even adjustable suspension - and at least 30 degree steering angle.

Something like the Lamborghini-based Italdesign Parcour.

800x530.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

The main problem with a Porsche was its "ultimacy" everyone hyped about. Would it have been a normal supercar there would've been less of discussion how ultimate it had to be.

If we are speaking about supercars from TLG I think community expects TLG to release some new parts that could allow building new more realistic features. Like better offset wheels, wheel hubs with Ackerman steering option, new gear sizes and etc.

Supercar from AFOL is basically a product of what you can actually achieve building with available parts to either look great, have multiple realistic functions or both.

Looks:

If it’s a real car, what make/manufacturer? Or should it be something original?

Full body, or 8848 style framed body?

Color?

1:8 or 1:10?

Large model, or smaller, dense one?

Doesn't matter if it's liscenced or original so long as the liscence doesn't bump up the price too much. An Aventador in black, white or metallic silver would be nice, or a landrover in dark blue, black or red.

A full body done very well can look better than a skeletal body as long as it doesn't look like a patchwork of panels with lots of gaps.

1:8

Doesn't matter, whatever serves the model best.

Features:

What kind of engine?

Remote control, or no remote control?

Power Functions (Lights and/or motors), or no?

An engine that's appropriate to the car. Not too concerned with realistic crank layout but it would be a nice authentic touch to have. Compared to other things it's a low priority.

Remote control is a nice IDEA, but it usually comes at too high cost, not only in terms of the price of the set but also in terms of functionality and mechanical authenticity. Whilst the IDEA of RC is great, it's never been worth the cost in all other aspects IMHO. Had they kept up standards of complexity and mechanical authenticity in set that have been RC then I'de probably feel more love for RC.

PF functions are nice but they have to compliment the mechanical authenticity that should already be there, not replace it.

Which of these features matter to you?

Brakes 7/10

Four wheel steering depends on the car. For the Porsche that has it in real life 8/10

Windshield wipers 1/10

Active aerodynamics 1/10

Adjustable seats 6/10

Realistic suspension geometry, I.E. Ackerman correction, 10/10

caster, 7/10

kingpin inclination, 7/10

a suspension type that is not double wishbone. 8/10

Convertible top depends on the car

Locking or limited slip differentials depends on the car. If it was a motorised 4x4 off-roader then it would matter more than a non-motorised on road car.

Is a manual gearbox fine, or would some kind of sequential gearbox be preferred?

They should get the current gearbox right first (6 clutch gears of different sizes) before worrying about other add-ons.

Extra steering knob, or just cockpit steering? Both would be nice but cockpit steering is most important.

What kind of new parts would you want?

I think you guys already know so you may skip this part. For those that don't, 5 or 6 gearbox clutch gears in 5 or 6 different sizes (not just the 16t we have now which is totally unrealistic), 8880 style cv joints, longer steering arms with ackerman geometry, stronder diffs utilising a 36t double bevel gear and much stronger (more positive) connection between the inner gears and the half shafts. If gearbox is to be sequenTial then a new cam piece (that could be fixed to a 0.5x3 pulley at 6 different angles) to change gears and an indexing lever would be great.

HondaCB350K4.png

Presentation:

Price Range?

Advanced instructions, and non color coded parts, or is the current system okay?

B model, or no B model?

Everything good about the model should be emphasised.

Standard box is fine. I want an ultimate model, not an ultimate box. Having said that I would pay extra for a return to 8880 style packaging.

Regular manual is fine.

Price depends on the model and what new parts it has.

DEFFINATELY NON colour coded parts.

B model is nice to have but not if it means compromising the A model in any way.

Edited by allanp

The first thing i want in a supercar is that it isn't a rehash of old stuff. Every supercar should have a different suspension configuration, should be a different kind of car (yes, sooner or later the theme is going to repeat itself).

Good looks is a must of course, but in todays age of panels, that is not a problem anymore.

What do I want as a supercar? I cannot think anything else but a Bugatti Chiron.

2018-bugatti-chiron-43_600x0w.jpg

Looks

Real model, full body, cowled (gears and other parts should be covered).

Color: blue Bugatti.

Scale: 1/8.

Features

W 16 engine (the most important thing I look for).

Sequential 7 speeds gearbox (the second thing I look for).

4 wheel drive.

Power Functions (Lights and/or motors), why not?

Which of these features matter to me?

Active aerodynamics

Adjustable seats

Realistic suspension geometry,

Four wheel steering (but I don't know if the real model has this feature).

Sequential gearbox is a must.

Cockpit steering for the sake of realism.

What kind of new parts would I want?

New panels, new elements to make the cockpit richer and more realistic.

If necessary, new gears, pistons/cylinders for the W engine.

Presentation:

This is a very hard question. I would like to say "both".

Standard is fine for me.

Regular is fine for me, but I think this model deserves any possible information.

Price Range?

229/249 euro without power functions. With power function i guess the price is about 299 euro.

Advanced instructions.

B model, or no B model?

Is it possible a B model? :p

Edited by Rygar