Sign in to follow this  
Fabulandlover

Hi all! (the dark age: to end or not to end?)

Hi all!

A few days ago I registered myself, but I thought it would be polite to introduce myself ;)

I am a 30-something and my first Lego as a kid (aside from some Duplo) was Fabuland :wub: . I still have these sets and it is my opinion the best set Lego has ever build for 5/6 years olds. I also have a few City-sets. This is probably familiar for a lot of you, but as a kid I wanted to build houses, police stations and such to create a City, but I never got sets or parts so I could do that. I got always told I had to use my creativity and imagination. Which is true, but HOW can you build houses or police stations if you have no windows or doors :cry_sad: ? AArrrgh, childhood trauma :tongue::laugh: . When I was ten I bought some Belville sets that I enjoyed quite much, though the building aspect was quite low in those sets. And though I played a lot with my Lego, it is still in good shape! Nothing damaged/broken and just a few small things lost. My parents always thought me to take care of my toys, and I really appreciate that now :laugh:

So, what has gotten me a little bit interested in Lego again? A few years ago when cleaning out the attic i found the box with my Fabuland-lego. Rebuilded those sets to check if anything was missing or damaged. Then I went checking prices on the secondhand market (that's the correct term, right?) for Fabuland, but I somehow ended up on a site where I saw the Lego Modular buildings. I was in awe how great the Green Grocer, Café Corner and Grand Emporium looked. Safely stored the Fabuland away, but those modulars were 'planted' in my head, if you get what I mean.

Last summer I bought the Royal guard minifigure from the Collectable Minifigure series, because of my interest in royalty (still hoping Lego will release a Buckingham Palace set one day..) and last week I rebuild my City-sets to check for damage/missing parts. I found that despite my age I quite liked to do the building: looking for pieces, checking the instructions etc.

And there was the idea of buying a Modular building again! I figured it would be a nice thing to do in the evening and to get me away from the computer. However, there is this voice in my head that it is a bit juvenile to do. On the other hand: it's the building I enjoy and I am not looking for playability. I just like the aspect of being busy with my mind and hands. But yeah, here I am: debating to come out of my Dark Age or keep hiding :sweet:

Hey Fabulover! Welcome to Eurobricks!

Normally I would say "Join the Dark Side." but in this case exit the dark ages!

Edited by lego3364

Welcome to Eurobricks!

I think by joining and posting here you have answered your question. Come out of the darkness!

The dark side is the quick and cheaper path, but being an AFOL is loads more fun!

Come back to the brick(s)!

There is a whole community of Fabu-Builders here on EB (most had the sets as children too) so don't worry about things seeming childish!

Embrace the LEGO love!

Yes to the above. If you enjoy Lego, then you might as well enjoy Lego! I did the same thing, 30 something that rediscovered old sets and bought a modular building. I really enjoyed the experience, those modulars are awesome! It's not like you have to go entirely off the deep end, it's just extremely tempting.

Welcome.

I'll be honest about my advice for LEGO. If you don't mind spending money for it, then don't wait a second and start buying. If you do mind it, then don't bother, it'd only make you feel sorry.

Thank you for all the nice welcome messages and encouragement :laugh: I will come out of the dark ages and embrace the bricks!

Wise choice, a few days around here and you'll forget all about your dark ages!

Since I today ordered my first modular, the Grand Emporium, and since it is the first time I bought Lego since I was a child I am officially out of the dark ages :)

You don't stop playing because you grow old,

You grow old because you stop playing... :wink:

Honestly, I actually don't play with Lego, I just love building and posing the 'citizens' that inhabit the worlds I create.

Whatever your choice may be, I welcome you to Eurobricks!

I figured it would be a nice thing to do in the evening and to get me away from the computer. However, there is this voice in my head that it is a bit juvenile to do. On the other hand: it's the building I enjoy and I am not looking for playability. I just like the aspect of being busy with my mind and hands. But yeah, here I am: debating to come out of my Dark Age or keep hiding :sweet:

The only "debate" really, is whether your friends and family are mature and open-minded enough to see the innate value of your hobby. I used to be a professor at a (reasonably) elite university and I actually gave Lego-based assignments to my aspiring engineers precisely because they'd spent too much time growing up in front of a computer and needed to learn to work with their hands, think in three dimensions and be creative for a change. The secret to be ing a good engineer is to have the mind of a scientist, the hands of an artist and the imagination of a child - so if anyone ever gives to that sideways, incredulous sneer of "You play with Legos?" Look 'em right back in the eye and say, "I'm studying to be a better engineer."

As for modulars, they are a fantastic place to start getting back into the hobby - lots of parts at a reasonable price point and a nice introduction to modern building techniques / clever use of parts. It's hard to go wrong with any of them, but I'm particularly fond of the Parisian Cafe. I've also been looking forward to having the time to assemble the Detective Agency one of these days...

I strongly encourage you to embrace your latent love for Lego (and inner child) and know that you are not alone; we have people here that are older than dirt (there's even a badge for that and I'll be earning my next January).

Welcome to Eurobricks!

Welcome back. That's a grand entrance out of the dark ages. :classic:

Yeah, a bit "go big or go home" :devil_laugh:

You don't stop playing because you grow old,

You grow old because you stop playing... :wink:

Honestly, I actually don't play with Lego, I just love building and posing the 'citizens' that inhabit the worlds I create.

Whatever your choice may be, I welcome you to Eurobricks!

Welcome to eurobricks!

Thanks guys :)

The only "debate" really, is whether your friends and family are mature and open-minded enough to see the innate value of your hobby. I used to be a professor at a (reasonably) elite university and I actually gave Lego-based assignments to my aspiring engineers precisely because they'd spent too much time growing up in front of a computer and needed to learn to work with their hands, think in three dimensions and be creative for a change. The secret to be ing a good engineer is to have the mind of a scientist, the hands of an artist and the imagination of a child - so if anyone ever gives to that sideways, incredulous sneer of "You play with Legos?" Look 'em right back in the eye and say, "I'm studying to be a better engineer."

As for modulars, they are a fantastic place to start getting back into the hobby - lots of parts at a reasonable price point and a nice introduction to modern building techniques / clever use of parts. It's hard to go wrong with any of them, but I'm particularly fond of the Parisian Cafe. I've also been looking forward to having the time to assemble the Detective Agency one of these days...

I strongly encourage you to embrace your latent love for Lego (and inner child) and know that you are not alone; we have people here that are older than dirt (there's even a badge for that and I'll be earning my next January).

Welcome to Eurobricks!

Wow, what a thoughtful response! I really appreciate that. Thank you so much! And just what I needed :)

FABULAND!

Welcome to Eurobricks!

I KNOW, RIGHT?! And thank you for the welcome ;)

Going to make a review of the Grand Emporium and post it soon :).