Sign in to follow this  
Commodore Hornbricker

RULES Redcoat vs. Bluecoat Tournament of Retribution II RULES

rvb_resize.png

From the dawn of time they have been at war. No one knows how it started or why. Whatever the reason, every molecule in their ABS plastic is filled with contempt and disgust for the opposite side. For the safety and harmony of brick loving folks everywhere this animosity is held in check by the most advanced technology and the toughest moderators much of the year…but inevitably this much rage can’t be contained and it explodes into…..

The Second Annual Redcoats vs. Bluecoats Tournament of Retribution!

General purpose: The primary purpose of the Tournament is to have FUN at the expense of the opposing side (Redcoats vs. Bluecoats).

The Tournament objective: Create a comic of up to 10 panels depicting the funniest, most brutal, outlandish stories of your side causing the most humiliating, physical, and/or emotional harm to the other side (as represented by their sides minifigures Red vs. Blue).

Note: For the purpose of this competition Redcoats and Bluecoats represent no national origin so pick which minifigure you like best.

Warning: If you are a sensitive soul who is easily offended or grossed out, if the thought of winning fabulous prizes makes you sick…Then the Tournament of Retribution may not be for you! We suggest a nice clean book of poems and a warm soft kitten.

If you enjoy bathroom jokes and horror movies, if you believe a Lego cutlass makes a fine tooth pick, if you have always wondered what exactly a minfigure’s brains look like, if you love Lego Pirates…Then you are honor bound to grab your uniform and your musket and enlist now to fight for your side!

How the Tournament will work this year:

• This year combatants will compete as individuals representing their side (Redcoats or Bluecoats).

• Competitors will have approximately 3 weeks to sign up in the official entry thread beginning June 8th, 2010 at whatever time we are sober enough to post the thread. You will provide your user name and declare what side you are on (Redcoat or Bluecoat). READ ALL the RULES BEFORE YOU SIGN UP!

• Competitors will submit their entry by opening up a new topic in the Pirates MOC Forum. The topic should be entitled “Tournament of Retribution II Entry” and should have an appropriate subtitle of their choosing.

• The first round of the Tournament will open on June 15, 2010ish. Competitors will be given 4 weeks to submit their comic. The deadline is July 13, 2010 at whatever time we feel like it so don’t wait until the last minute. July 14th a voting thread will be open to all Eurobricks members for one week. Only the top 5 Bluecoat entries and the top 5 Redcoat entries will be invited to compete in the final round of the Tournament.

• Round two (the final round) will be open on July 22, 2010. Competitors will be given 2 weeks to submit their second comic. The deadline for this final round is August 5, 2010. August 6th a voting thread will be open to all Eurobricks members for one week. Prizes will be awarded to the top 6 vote getters.

The Rules: They’re more like Guidelines.

• No clone brands. Real LEGO, custom decals/stickers/string/sails, and aftermarket products (like Brickarms and Brickforge) only.

• Each entry may have up to 10 photographs or images in their comic strip depicting a sequence of events. Each \"panel\" is considered a single image or photograph whether it is a stand alone image or part of a comic strip spread. In other words, your entry may be just one image containing up to 10 separate panels or 10 individual photographs. Regardless of you style, each posted image may be 800x600 maximum.

1275679834m_DISPLAY.jpg

• Each panel should have text associated with it in most instances. The text can be dialog of the characters or a narrative description similar to what would be found in a comic strip or a combination there of.

• Each comic must contain at least one Redcoat & one Bluecoat soldier (from the Lego Pirates theme) (old or new figures are accepted, decals are OK as substitutes for Redcoat and Bluecoat soldiers as long as they look recognizable as the Lego version). Participants may use any other Lego factions, themes, minifigures etc. within their comic in support of their story.

• Note: The new dark blue governor torso will be accepted as either a Redcoat or a Blue Coat (does that make him a turn coat?).

• The use of avatars in comics is encouraged and permitted but limited to the avatars of those who have entered the Tournament, Tournament Hosts and Classic-Pirates Crew Members. Eurobricks members who wish to allow the use of their avatar in the Tournament may do so by signing up in a special topic that will be opened. By joining the Tournament or authorizing the use of your avatar you are agreeing to have your avatar abused in whatever way competitors and Tournament Officials see fit to abuse them.

• This is a comic contest NOT a building contest. Competitors should attempt funny story telling through the use of Lego depicting senseless violence and other nonsensical behavior by Redcoats and Bluecoats toward Redcoats or Bluecoats, build as much or as little as you need to tell your story.

About Spectators: Spectators are asked to :

• Get into the rowdy spirit of the Tournament.

• Take the energy level of their posts and comments up a notch and focus on the story and not just the building techniques.

• Fans should have as much fun as possible…it really can be rewarding….to be an active spectator!

Tournament Hosts: Commodore Hornbricker for the Redcoats and Captain Blackmoor for the Bluecoats will serve as this year’s Tournament hosts. The hosts will be responsible for settling any questions , disputes or other issues, interpreting and enforcing rules and deadlines, and presiding over all hangings, floggings and other social gatherings within the context of the Tournament including disqualification. In addition, as hosts, the contest gods have also granted us special powers….tune in to the Tournament to find out more!

IMPORTANT Tournament Threads

The Rules (this thread)

Official Sign Ups

Fantastic Prizes

I'm sorry, but I have to ask, is ToR like Whack-a-Fig, but as a comic and for Imperials?

can i use paper sails and thread for rigging

also can i use mega bloks bricks they are the same as lego exept differant colour

Edited by venios

can i use paper sails and thread for rigging

also can i use mega bloks bricks they are the same as lego exept differant colour

Did you read the rules? Yes you can use paper and string for sails and rigging. No you absolutely positively may not use any friggin mega bloks. I am just going to pretend you are joking about that part.

thank you i will use mega bloks for supports that cannot be seen by anyone exept be when i tear the building down is this ok :pir-blush:

How will the fan prizes be awarded?

It is still a mystery as we haven't told you yet...we haven't even told you when we'll tell you. I'd suggest you keep a weather eye on the Tournement Studio Headquarters topic.

This all sounds like a lot of fun, I have never entered a contest like this before and am looking forward to it

I read the rules and although its stated that the 2 factions represent no national origin, Are we allowed to Designate nationality's to them ie, red - British

I understand that jokes can get too offensive and we would want to keep racism out of this but are we allowed to use nationalities as long as we keep it clean

This all sounds like a lot of fun, I have never entered a contest like this before and am looking forward to it

I read the rules and although its stated that the 2 factions represent no national origin, Are we allowed to Designate nationality's to them ie, red - British

I understand that jokes can get too offensive and we would want to keep racism out of this but are we allowed to use nationalities as long as we keep it clean

You can and it already happens all the time in MOC's and discussions but I have found it really isn't necessary. I've been trying not to use the words British and French and instead substitute Redcoat and Bluecoat. It usually coveys the exact same message to the reader. My advise is try not to, but if you must then do use good judgement.

Hey, this sounds like fun! I'm usually discouraged from entering Pirate contests because of the godly MOCing skils of a lot of the Pirate fans. But making a brutal/hilarious comic? That I can do! :pir-devil: And the prizes are great as well. I think I'll enter.

I'm confused about the whole avatar stuff though. By avatar, do you mean sigfig?

Also, what qualifies as a bluecoat/redcoat fig? Only the official stuff, or will any piratey blue/red torso do?

sigfig/avatar...whatever lego person you use to represent you. (like you in the buzz light-year suit) that picture.

as far as I can tell, we are trying to keep it to mostly the actual red/bluecoat figures for generic figs, unless your representing avatars, or if you dont have them, but have close substitutes that are pirate-y.

Hey, this sounds like fun! I'm usually discouraged from entering Pirate contests because of the godly MOCing skils of a lot of the Pirate fans. But making a brutal/hilarious comic? That I can do! :pir-devil: And the prizes are great as well. I think I'll enter.

I'm confused about the whole avatar stuff though. By avatar, do you mean sigfig?

Also, what qualifies as a bluecoat/redcoat fig? Only the official stuff, or will any piratey blue/red torso do?

It would be great to have you in the Tournament. Yes sigfig is what we are talking about. If you sign up in the official signup topic then you don't really need to worry about the avatar one (that was mostly so that non-combatants could say it was OK to use them even though they aren't in the Tournament).

Per the rules you need at least one imperial Redcoat and one Bluecoat in your comic but you can use decals as long as they look like one of the originals...in short just any pirate will not do...though once you meet the minimum of one each you can have pirates or whatever else you want.

Are we allowed to enter early, like CaptJohnPaul?

I am not sure that is his actual entry. If you want to post some fun stuff just do it in the ToR Studio Headquarters topic. It is there for the fun stuff. Please don't create any ToR topics of your own unless you mean it as your official entry or a WIP of your official entry. We'll just confuse people. You can post your official entry whenever you want between now and the deadline, just follow the rules.

Alright, thanks. I don't have any bluecoats (the closest thing I have are the cavalry from Western) so I'll probably end up using decals.

Since the admiral from the new Pirates sets has a blue uniform, could he be used as a bluecoat, or is his allegiance to the redcoats set in stone? Sorry if that's a stupid question; I'm new to this Pirates stuff. :pir-blush:

Alright, thanks. I don't have any bluecoats (the closest thing I have are the cavalry from Western) so I'll probably end up using decals.

Since the admiral from the new Pirates sets has a blue uniform, could he be used as a bluecoat, or is his allegiance to the redcoats set in stone? Sorry if that's a stupid question; I'm new to this Pirates stuff. :pir-blush:

No that is a good question. The rules state that the new Governor torso can be used as either a Bluecoat or a Redcoat.

I might join in, this contest is so different from anything I'm used to! :pir-cry_happy:

I didn't see this mentioned above, are digital backgrounds allowed in our comics?

Long live the redco.. blu... well... haven't decided yet! :pir-hmpf::pir-grin:

I might join in, this contest is so different from anything I'm used to! :pir-cry_happy:

I didn't see this mentioned above, are digital backgrounds allowed in our comics?

Long live the redco.. blu... well... haven't decided yet! :pir-hmpf::pir-grin:

Sure you can use digital backgrounds or add special effects to your images.

Stupid question coming, but hang on. I know I can join only one faction here, but say in a few years or so, would I be able to switch to a new faction? I have only Redcoats and the new Admiral, but I consider him a Bluecoat at times. Would I be able to be a redcoat, but then have an "American Revolution" and switch to American Bluecoats? Or is that looked down upon?

Stupid question coming, but hang on. I know I can join only one faction here, but say in a few years or so, would I be able to switch to a new faction? I have only Redcoats and the new Admiral, but I consider him a Bluecoat at times. Would I be able to be a redcoat, but then have an "American Revolution" and switch to American Bluecoats? Or is that looked down upon?

the rules for this contest state that the colors dont officially represent any nation for the sake of this contest, and its just basically a red vs blue event. you can choose whatever color you want this year, and choose a different one next time if you want to. also, my advice is that you just choose the side that you want to be. you only need 1 redcoat, and 1 bluecoat to appear in your comic, and you have redcoats, and the admiral/governor counts as a bluecoat. you can also look in the minifig customization section, and find decal patterns to print off and use on your figures. this counts too.

I have a question about the comic book styling, I would like to do my strip/story board with little notes beneath each picture rather than speech bubbles is this OK or will it cost me points /votes ?

I do have what i consider a good idea but i don't think i need the speech bubbles and would like to keep the minifigs silent like the LEGO video games , what do you think ?

[i actually wanted to Join the Dutch Blue Coats =D

is that Possible to join with "Dutch Blue Coats"

I attached a File So you can Check out where im talking about (Dutch Blue Coats)

post-7146-1276272567.jpg

Edited by ThisDarkness

[i actually wanted to Join the Dutch Blue Coats =D

is that Possible to join with "Dutch Blue Coats"

I attached a File So you can Check out where im talking about (Dutch Blue Coats)

We are trying to stay away from nationality and just go with Bluecoats and Redcoats but hey if they are Dutch to you thats just fine with me.