Sign in to follow this  
ENeuman

Lego Large Hadron Collider

Yes -- there's this

of it, with a link to this webpage: "In recent days it has been speaking a lot of the Riggs boson, or the so-called “particle of God”, as it is called the elusive subatomic particle that physicists have tried to discover for almost 50 years, because it is a key element in the structure of the standard model of physics and kept the secret that everyone linked to science strives to unveil: the reason for the mass in the particles.

"To achieve its discovery, physicists have used two large collides of hadrons (or particle accelerators) called ATLAS and CM, but this time do not come to tell you about them, but rather another large Hadron Collier very peculiar.

"It’s created by the Danish physicist Sascha Multiphase, researcher at the Niels Bohr Institute in Copenhagen, who spent more than 80 hours of their time to design and create a large of Hadron Collier made from LEGO pieces, based on the model of the ATLAS.

"This time, it took 48 hours to design the ATLAS in your laptop, with the help of LEGO Digital Designer software. With the help of his wife, Multiphase spent 33 hours placing, piece by piece, the 9,500 blocks of LEGO that had used in its large Hadron, in order to give a finish full of small details that make it look like a true work of art.

"The scale of this large of Hadron Collier made from LEGO pieces is 1: 50. Even this Danish physicist gave labor put some small LEGO toys to represent the scientists at CERT, and thus reproduce their work more accurately.

"Only in LEGO pieces, Multiphase spent $2,600, which had to order at a Danish toy. Any of you would be willing to create a similar work?"

83.jpg Edited by DLuders

"Here's some key features:

•about 9500 pieces

•roughly 1:50 in scale (close to scale with the LEGO® man)

•material cost of about 2000 Euros (payed by the high energy physics group at the Niels Bohr Institute)

•about 1 m x 0.5 m x 0.5 m in size

•approximately 33 hours construction time (spread out over several weekends and after hours)

•around 48 hours to build the 3D model (a one-timer though)"

Wow, the builder (Sascha Mehlhase) designed this using Lego Digital Designer (LDD) and ordered the 9,500 parts through DesignByMe! :cry_happy: That must have set a record for a single MOC:

2011-11-10%2010-30-59%20ATLAS%20LEGO%20model%20small.jpg2011-10-15%2015-02-07%20ATLAS%20LEGO%20model%20small.jpg2011-10-15%2013-03-42%20ATLAS%20LEGO%20model%20small.jpg2011-11-08%2011-06-31%20ATLAS%20LEGO%20model%20small.jpg

He may post the LDD .lxf file: "I do not have a straight forward construction manual yet, but I am working on it!"

Edited by DLuders

I'm surprised a message saying "There is currently a limited supply of Some brick so you cannot currently order this model." didn't pop up. :laugh: I always wondered what they did if they did not have a box big enough for the model...

In an attempt to obtain the LDD .lxf file, I e-mailed Sascha Mehlhase, and he replied:

"Hi David,

thanks for your interest … as we are currently in discussions with LEGO about various things, we want to keep the model closed for the moment. But I will post the design file on my webpage at some later point and you can take it from there.

Hope that helps you.

Cheers

Sascha"

Edited by DLuders