Flipz

Need a Minifigure Animation Rig and LXF converter

Hello, all,

I've been planning a couple of projects lately that require some digital animation. Specifically, I want to build a world in LDD, then animate minifigures running around it. For this, I need two things:

1.) I need an animation rig for a LEGO minifigure. Preferably, something that's very flexible in terms of what it can do; if you've seen the story trailer for Lego Universe or the Traveler's Tales LEGO games, you'll have a good idea of the actions I need these minifigs to be able to do. I don't really know much about the different animation programs out there, so I have no preferences on what file format this is in, but the program has to be free (or at least have a free version that is not on a "free for 30 days" sort of thing).

2.) I need some sort of tool that will allow me to convert LXF files into some sort of file that will let me drop them into an animation program. I used to have one program that did this with Ldraw files, but it did not work properly when I tried to import it into the student trial version of Autodesk Maya (and now that trial has ended anyway).

2A.) I'd like it if the program described in 2 (or another program) could turn models with hinges into animated rigs (i.e. doors /windows on houses and wheels on cars), but the way I see it, for what I need, I can split any hinged sections I have into separate LXF files and animate them separately from the rest of the model. This one is more optional than the other two.

So, does anyone know of anything that could help me?

LeoCAD and LDView (both LDraw programs) can export to 3DS format, but I think you then have to rig the minifigs yourself.

Hi there

About 2), there is unfortunately no such tool available. Basically what you create in LDD is confined to the boundaries to the program. Part of the reason for this is apparently that TLG does not want the 3D brick geometries out in the public domain. Another reason is that there hasn't been any need for converting to any other format (at least not when LDD was part of the DbM business model).

Hi there

About 2), there is unfortunately no such tool available. Basically what you create in LDD is confined to the boundaries to the program. Part of the reason for this is apparently that TLG does not want the 3D brick geometries out in the public domain. Another reason is that there hasn't been any need for converting to any other format (at least not when LDD was part of the DbM business model).

I know LDD can export to LDraw, is there a tool that would work with LDraw-format files? I don't mind having to run the file through dozens of different converters, I just don't want to have to build individual Lego bricks and/or models directly in animation programs (because generally speaking, I suck at building and designing things without the aid of bricks :tongue: ).

I know LDD can export to LDraw, is there a tool that would work with LDraw-format files? I don't mind having to run the file through dozens of different converters, I just don't want to have to build individual Lego bricks and/or models directly in animation programs (because generally speaking, I suck at building and designing things without the aid of bricks :tongue: ).

Aha, I missunderstood you. Thought you asked for something that can convert directly from LDD to 3DS (or similar).

Use Blender 3D, it is a very powerful and fast program that will run on almost any computer. As for exporting LDD models I recently asked the 3D manager at Lego about this and he said that there is no current way to export LDD files to other formats even though the LXF (lego exchange format) is used for transferring files between LDD and Lego's Cad add-on for Maya.

Use Blender 3D, it is a very powerful and fast program that will run on almost any computer. As for exporting LDD models I recently asked the 3D manager at Lego about this and he said that there is no current way to export LDD files to other formats even though the LXF (lego exchange format) is used for transferring files between LDD and Lego's Cad add-on for Maya.

Thanks, Blender looks really great, should be really useful.

OK, I've managed to use LDD's "Export" function to convert my LXF into an LDR file. Then, using an old converter I found on my computer (I believe it was called LdrDat2Obj or something like that), I managed to convert my LDR file into an OBJ file. Now, how can I get this OBJ file into Blender?

If you guys get this solved, I could make some pretty cool movie things. I tried doing this, but I suck at using blender. Though I found a mini-fig rig somewhere on Google.

here are some ones I found:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?219502-Lego-Minifig-Model

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?190573-Rigging-a-LEGO-Minifigure

If I took the time, I could probably learn to use Blender, but currently I'm much better at Google Sketch-up.

I don't mean to do a bit of shameless self-promotion (well, actually I do), but I have several minifigure models & rigs available under a Creative Commons license for Blendswap. You can find the latest edition here; it's beginner-friendly and flexible.

Minifig-Madness-600x426.png

I came across one of your earlier versions and was pretty impressed. I am currently downloading your latest version and hope to try some quick animations with it. I modeled an accurate minifig model a while back but I don't quite have the rigging skills I need to animate it yet.

Ok, I downloaded your model and I like it! A little bit of critique though? The arms felt short and when I compared them to a real minifig model I noticed that from a front view they look accurate however, minifig arms are bent in the middle to give the appearance of an elbow, whereas in your model they are straight. If you added a directional ik rig for the elbows that would also be helpful.

Over all though, it is the best rigged minifig model I have seen yet. Thanks for posting it here.

~Lalror

As for converting LDD files to 3d files; it's simple!

1. Export the LDD file to LDraw.
  2. Open the LDraw file in LeoCAD.
  3. Export the file to .3ds or .obj using LeoCAD.
  4. Import the resulting 3ds or OBJ file into the 3D program of your choice.

I've used this procedure countless times. As for Blender, I recommend optimizing the model, especially by removing triangles (alt-J).