Sign in to follow this  
jindianajonz

6x6 Vignettes?

Hey all,

First time posting here. I finally completed my collection of collectible minifigures, and saw that Lego is planning on releasing a 16 (and 8) minifigure display case in the near future. It looks like each figure will have a 6x6x? space to reside, and I thought it would be cool to give each one his own theme. However, once i started, working on a 6x6 space ended up being a lot harder than it looked (especially with my limited selection of bricks to work with). I can't be the only one who had this idea; has anyone else started building vignettes to display their figs in once the displace case is released?

Eurobricks holds a series of Collectable Minifig building competitions, all of which feature many vignettes on a small base. Here's a link to the most recent one: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=56765

All of the entries are on an 8x8 base as opposed to a 6x6, but it might serve as some inspiration for working with a very limited area.

A good tip for building in a small scale is to try and find unorthodox techniques for existing pieces, and use them in a completely unexpected and refreshing fashion. This allows you to show the true potential of a particular piece, and be able to express much more with a limited quantity of elements.

Eurobricks holds a series of Collectable Minifig building competitions, all of which feature many vignettes on a small base. Here's a link to the most recent one: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=56765

All of the entries are on an 8x8 base as opposed to a 6x6, but it might serve as some inspiration for working with a very limited area.

A good tip for building in a small scale is to try and find unorthodox techniques for existing pieces, and use them in a completely unexpected and refreshing fashion. This allows you to show the true potential of a particular piece, and be able to express much more with a limited quantity of elements.

Yeah, I've seen the building contests (that's part of where I got the idea) but was surprised had how much more difficult it is to chop of a couple of studs in either direction. The main difficulty lies in the fact that unless you cram him up against a wall, the minifigure itself will take up 3x4 squares on his own. Maybe I just need to invest in some jumpers to make the most out of the space I am given...

I have built a vignette for each of my figs, but they are 8x8 and holds up as a display shelf on their own, without a display case. You can have a look at them in my flickr stream, if you need inspiration.

I have built a vignette for each of my figs, but they are 8x8 and holds up as a display shelf on their own, without a display case. You can have a look at them in my flickr stream, if you need inspiration.

Thanks Cecilie! Those are some really awesome vignettes! I was thinking about ditching the display case altogether and just building a vignette set like you did, and after seeing yours, I think thats the way to go! How did you do the disco ball for the disco dude vignette?