I would like to know what everyone thinks about the relatively new flexible train tracks. Do you think it should replace straight tracks from passenger train 7938? Thx

Flex track would be perfect for running a LEGO version of the British Pacer. It'll provide the correct rough ride and maybe "donkeying" if I put plates underneath here and there. :laugh: That's my plan once I finished my Pacer MOC.

It's going to be noisy when the train runs over flex track. Here is an example of my MOC going over flex track in the curves.

Edited by dr_spock

When I first started picking up Lego train stuff at the beginning of this year, I thought they were a great idea, and for a purely toy railway (or one that won't be using 9v stuff), they are pretty good (even if they're far from perfect, the flexibility they allow is worth it). However, since I decided to go to 9v for my MOCs, the flexi stuff has become less than useless to me.

I'm a train novice compared to most fellows in these parts - as I merely have a humble layout weaving around my city. However, in my amateur opinion, what you gain in flexibility to achieve non-standard lengths/angles perhaps necessary for your layout, you lose in traction and stability. I've come to use flex track in extreme moderation, and certainly wouldnt trade straight track for it. In fact, I recently replaced purchased a few packs of straight just to swap out some flex I was using for straight lengths.

I started Lego train this year and now I have a nice layout with 210 rails. I use 7 flex but only because I need 7 1/4 track. There is no other way to have this lenght... Those flex are spreaded all over the layout and I use a plate to make them straight.

According to me, flex track are ugly, unrealistic, noisy and can not be easy fixed on base plate. If you make some *zig zag* or some S curves on a slippery surface, they will not stay in place. Faster the train run on it, straighter the track will be. Last but not least, they cause much more friction than curves and slow the train.

I have to buy about 10 box to have the straight tracks I really need and btw get a ridiculously large amount of unwanted flex. They are all in their bag... I found them useless except for kids or in some case for complex junction.

I would be pleased with straight tracks box, curves box and flex box.

Edited by Exa

I would much rather have an option to buy curves with a larger radius than have this flex stuff on the market. I never use mine.

ME Models is going to be coming out with three different straight plastic lengths very soon. 1/2, standard and double. You will be able to purchase what you need at a reasonable price.

As for the larger curves you will be able to purchase R56, R72, R88 and R104 as well.

Mike

ME Models

ME Models is going to be coming out with three different straight plastic lengths very soon. 1/2, standard and double. You will be able to purchase what you need at a reasonable price.

As for the larger curves you will be able to purchase R56, R72, R88 and R104 as well.

Mike

ME Models

I've seen your stuff. It looks really good. Unfortunately, I've sworn myself to being a purist, so I must wait for TLG to produce the tracks I need.

I use my flex track for an elevated line (think Chicago) and run the Red Passenger train (7938) on it. None of my other trains run very well on flex track. I do also use it for storing my trains when they are not being run. I am competely PF so 9V is not worth it for me.

Flex track is also not as iconic looking as the regular track. As other have said its also quite noisy. And when you run it by itself it looks great but if you combine them with the regular track then it looks odd in my opinion,

I recall seeing somewhere that due to the joint in the middle, flex track is also much more flexible vertically than standard Lego track, and can be used to great effect at the bottom and top of a hill to curve it more naturally.

It can, but what you save in sudden changes in the track's gradient you lose in the extra resistance of the track.

I recall seeing somewhere that due to the joint in the middle, flex track is also much more flexible vertically than standard Lego track, and can be used to great effect at the bottom and top of a hill to curve it more naturally.

I will have a look. It will perhaps solve my bridge issue.

Yes, flex track will bend up or down, more than straight or curved tracks.

flextrack_zpsceddca03.jpg

Edited by dr_spock

I'm not a great fan of flex track but have found it to be very useful around the edge of my turntable. It allows easy connection to the sidings with just a little flex to allow for any irregularities in their placement on my layout. Other than that I avoid using it.

I think the community consensus is pretty clearly "flex track can be useful in specific, custom scenarios - but is not preferrable for general use".

So the Eurobricks Train Tech savants have spoken, and so it will be done.

I have a ton of it. I have to say that I have used some on wider radius curves. I use it between regular curves in order to run two tracks next to each other and have roughly the same distance apart all the way around. This is great if it is (Like mine.) connected to a baseplate, but rubbish if it is just flat on the floor. If used unbaseplated the trains just push it out of shape.

Overall I use as little as possible as it is ugly and does not look good with other tracks. It takes a lot of hiding to fit it in any way so it is not obvious. I would much rather they just had straight, curved and flexi boxes. I could have probably got away with just buying one or maybe two boxes of flexi track rather than having loads of it in a bag not used for anything.

Interesting: #8867 (flex tracks) is not ordeable anymore at S@H EU (sold out)

Who cares? If you still want flex track, theres 7499. It would be interesting if they would add other track elements instead.

I'm just getting started with trains and I got 7499 and 10 curved track pieces, and the flex track seems pretty good as long as you limit it's use and use it for irregularly shaped track sections, with curved track for a larger or banked turn, or for making bridge structures. All the complaints have been about how noisy it is and how much traction you lose, but that depends on your wheels and how many pieces of flex track you use in a single section. Something I'd be careful for is using large curved sections of it unanchored, cause it moves around.

I believe the initial concept for flextrack was to use it pairwise with straight track to create large turns, not just the flextrack by itself. I never see any mention of that. Anyone who uses it like that?

I'm new to Lego trains as well but have many years as N Scale model railroader so I got quite a surprise when I saw Lego flex track for the first time as it looks nothing like the standard rail--A piece here or there is all I care to use....a couple pieces of flex in reversing loops on occasion.

It does look okay for simulating a track on a short bridge or something or even to add a bit of irregularity to the regular pattern of standard track, but i would not replacing standard straight rail with it.

I think it is good for fixing irregularities in your railway but horrible with more than two in a row. TLG made a big mistake by replacing straight track with long portions of flexible track. This slows down trains and makes them slip and slide.

I believe the initial concept for flextrack was to use it pairwise with straight track to create large turns, not just the flextrack by itself. I never see any mention of that. Anyone who uses it like that?

My train club used it like that in large layouts a couple of times but found just using straight curves was far more reliable because they cause less derailments and were easier to fix in place.

I really don't like the flexible track, I've found it much louder and I just don't think it should replace the straight and curved pieces...