Hi Forum,

Wanted to get the official word out there regarding rubber band sizes. For the past year I have been purchasing parts from Bricklink (in order to build all Lego Technic Sets). One of the part types I see a lot of inconsistency buying are rubber bands (especially rubber bands for older sets). For example, I have purchased rubber band part: x264 from five different vendors and I have received inconsistent sizes. Some seem to have sent me x137 instead of x264, but I am not really sure. Now I am really confused, and want to get your guys opinion about rubber band sizes and what is considered official (to the best of people's knowledge). I have attached a picture of what I believe are all the sizes used on Lego Technic sets. Let me know if I am missing any rubber band sizes or if these are incorrect. I wonder if x264 is the same as x137 and there are natural size variations? Thank you everyone for their input!

post-142093-0-29829300-1438271822_thumb.jpg

In my experience, there is a lot of variation in the size even in a brand new set. For example, the 8002 Destroyer Droid comes with a large number of rubber bands, but even those that are supposed to be x264 are not all the same size.

Thanks for your table. It is really convenient to be able to see them all in one place. For the silicone bands, it is important to remember that the color does not necessarily tell you what size it is. For example, the x37 comes in many colors.

@darsedz: Not sure if these have different cross section dimensions. The black ones (left side) are square cross section and the ones on the right side are round cross section.

@Blakbird: Thank you that is helpful, knowing that there are natural size variations within sets. Regarding the silicone bands you are right there are color variations in those sizes.

There was also some released in sets like 8094 and 8868 which used a "K" number. I think it was the number of studs in diameter, so a K4 would be 4 studs or roughly 32mm. These were a stiff silicone type. The "K" numbering system was also used on standard rubber bands I think.

024.jpg

Edited by allanp

After a lot of research (reviewing instructions, set pictures and inventories). I think I was able to summarize all the Technic rubber bands in one guide (not including DACTA and education sets). The number of rubber bands indicated are the actual amount used in the set (based on the instructions), I did not include extras. As Blakbird stated, rubber bands tend to have variations in size, I found most vary +/- 2mm on average. The guide can be found here: https://www.dropbox...._Guide.pdf?dl=0. Feedback is welcome! :classic:

post-142093-0-63801800-1440046638_thumb.png

Edited by diegobaca

Can anyone suggest a good way to get replacement bands? I have seen on brick link for €6. 

Surely there is an aftermarket solution which is cheaper?

Thanks

Lego rubber bands are hard to find and expensive.
For GBC Train modules I use Loom Bands, cheap (£1.00 for 100pce) and retain their tension OK.

On 8/16/2015 at 7:25 AM, diegobaca said:

After a lot of research (reviewing instructions, set pictures and inventories). I think I was able to summarize all the Technic rubber bands in one guide (not including DACTA and education sets). The number of rubber bands indicated are the actual amount used in the set (based on the instructions), I did not include extras. As Blakbird stated, rubber bands tend to have variations in size, I found most vary +/- 2mm on average. The guide can be found here: https://www.dropbox...._Guide.pdf?dl=0. Feedback is welcome! :classic:

post-142093-0-63801800-1440046638_thumb.png

The bottom portion of this chart shows what are officially called v-belts.
The sizes are officially: ø15 (white only), ø24 (white, grey, clear red, red) [I haven't noticed a difference between the reds in my collection of v-belts, though], ø26 (blue, green), ø28 (white), and ø33 (yellow)