Sign in to follow this  
Gideon

[L&DiK] C2 - Kaligem (card XVI)

Kaligem was once the capital of Kaliphlin and for a time of an empire once encompassing all of Historica.

Every child in Kaliphlin knows about it, but how the city actually looked is not known as no reliable depictions of it survives and it’s location is still not known (even though there are disputed claims that the ruins have been found).

Often Kaligem is drawn as a walled city with soaring towers and golden domes, with a river flowing through the city.

In a traditional Kaliphlin Wizards and Princess deck of cards, card XVI is called Kaligem.

11160697246_4219ffe0db_z.jpg

11160683595_6a8c9f4411_z.jpg

11160706816_bdc06c720a_z.jpg

Another view:

11160693705_dd977f66ea_z.jpg

UPDH Credits claimed:

• General Building (Other Techniques): Microscale

Edited by Gideon

Lovely, Gideon! The chrome gold and pearl gold look really nice together, and the macaroni brick works well as curved wall. My fav view is definitely the last one, with the slight view of the river and bridges. :thumbup:

+1 for UoP microscale for sure!

Lovely, Gideon! The chrome gold and pearl gold look really nice together, and the macaroni brick works well as curved wall. My fav view is definitely the last one, with the slight view of the river and bridges. :thumbup:

Gabe what part of melbourne are you in?

Lovely micro-build :thumbup:. I especially like the use of the dark green tooth pieces and the river running through the city. And the card-version is superb!

Excellent entry! The way you edited the build for the card is perfect. Is there anyway you could edit my Sun build in the same manner?

Yup, yup, yup. UoP DoH +1.

Thanks!

Excellent micro-scale. I really like the way you did the curved walls, great use of gold too :classic:

Kaligem is not sometimes mentioned as the "Golden City" for nothing :wink:

The curved walls are awesome! Don't see it much in micro. :thumbup:

Thanks! I tried to come up with something to not make it a boring square wall with corner towers which I started with, it looks a bit weird with the towers almost touching but in the end I figured that the result was ok :classic:

Wonderful use of the ring. :thumbup: The green pieces work well too.

Thanks! Especially at the right angle I think the green tooths work well as cypress trees.

I've tried to find a use for all those spare rings, and at last I came up with someting :wink:

Thanks! I decided to make that shot along the river public in my photostream as well and put it in the post without spoiler tag thanks to your comment :classic:

Dang that's awesome. Makes me want to build microscale now!

Just do it then! All it takes is a little inspiration and a lot less pieces and time than minifig-scale MOCing :classic:

Lovely micro-build :thumbup:. I especially like the use of the dark green tooth pieces and the river running through the city. And the card-version is superb!

Thanks! The card was a last-minute edit so I think I'm going to try to redo it with some more worn feel on the picture (less saturation, maybe some of the speckling of the rest of the card). I also think I should use a broader "cartoon effect" which I used to get the "pen lines" at all the edges of the build.

Excellent entry! The way you edited the build for the card is perfect. Is there anyway you could edit my Sun build in the same manner?

I sure can! Just not in the near future as I'm spending 12 h a day at work right now... I can do it at the same time as my adjustments to my build I mentioned above.

Which picture do you want me to "cardify"?

Any three other Kaliphlinians (Kaliphlinites, Kaliphlins, Kaliphliners?) who thinks this is worth +1 for microscale? :wink:

What a lovely microbuild Gideon! So many details in just 10x10 studs??! Very impressive!

Thanks! The card was a last-minute edit so I think I'm going to try to redo it with some more worn feel on the picture (less saturation, maybe some of the speckling of the rest of the card). I also think I should use a broader "cartoon effect" which I used to get the "pen lines" at all the edges of the build.

I sure can! Just not in the near future as I'm spending 12 h a day at work right now... I can do it at the same time as my adjustments to my build I mentioned above.

Which picture do you want me to "cardify"?

Any three other Kaliphlinians (Kaliphlinites, Kaliphlins, Kaliphliners?) who thinks this is worth +1 for microscale? :wink:

I would like the final pic (the one without the blue plate background) cardified.

I definitely would give you a +1 for microscale. I haven't really read up on the PU because real life university studies is taking a good portion of my focus at the moment, so not really sure if I'm supposed to give you +1 credit in another thread. When I'm finished my salary will have doubled but unfortunately I may have to disappear from the Lego world for a few years, but such is the way of priorities. Family comes first.

+1 for the microscale. By the way, the editing to make the card is top notch!

Really nice microscale! Reminds me a bit of one I did a long time ago showing Messahmuk, except that this one is a lot nicer. The gold rings are a nice touch, and the curved walls are great too. Definitely +1

+1 for the microscale. By the way, the editing to make the card is top notch!

Really nice microscale! Reminds me a bit of one I did a long time ago showing Messahmuk, except that this one is a lot nicer. The gold rings are a nice touch, and the curved walls are great too. Definitely +1

Thanks! I think that makes it enough votes for that credit :classic:

@NM: That Messahmuk build must have been before my time on GoH, could you give me a link to that? :classic:

@NM: That Messahmuk build must have been before my time on GoH, could you give me a link to that? :classic:

Here ya go: http://www.eurobrick...owtopic=67539. It's from nearly two years ago. The micro scale city is bigger than it looks in the photo; it's a bit obscured by the bench behind the characters. I never finished that MOC; I was going to have three more builds. I did finish the story though; maybe someday I'll finish those builds and post it. Usually I recycle my builds, but I still have the first build from that MOC; it's one of my favorites.

Edited by NiceMarmot

Did some more post-processing to the picture on the card (left/top picture below), enhanced the "cartoon" effect of the edges and made the layer more transparent to wash out the colors and to let some of the dirt of the background become visible also on the picture. Does it look better now?

11471440706_7565835192.jpg11160697246_4219ffe0db.jpg

I also made a similar card for IV Sun by Masa, using the same background and techniques.