Torax

Star Wars Module Standard: Voting

What specifics should the SW Module Standard incorporate?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What size should each module be? (In studs.)

• Smaller (silly)
    • 14x14
    • 16x16
    • 24x24
    • 32x32
    • 40x40
    • 48x48
    • 50x50 (gulp)
  2. 2. How wide should the corridor/footpath/pathway be? (In studs.)

• Wider
  3. 3. Should it be raised? (Like the Moonbase Standard)

• Raised
    • Not raised
    • Could be both, as long as corridors have the same meeting point.

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

This is the voting topic for the Star Wars module Standard.

It is made to decide what the standard should be like.

This is all the questions I can think of right now, Moderators may obviously edit this to their liking.

I haven't put the question of what faction/theme it should be, please discuss such things in the topic linked to below.

Read more and discuss here.

Cheers,

Torax

Edited by KimT

Added my votes, very interesting topic, and just as interesting are the votes.

You should edit poll to include:

Height of floors:

6 bricks (lame personally)

8 bricks (realistic)

10 bricks (grand SWU feel)

12 bricks (too big personally)

Also you may want to look at stacking options:

1 brick height between floors (plate, tile, plate). So if you're building a stackable Module the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. floor(s) would use plates as its base instead of a baseplate.

Edited by Rook

Remember:

For all of you that support the 48x48. If you just double 48 you have 96 which is 3x 32. So really 32x32 is the best. Becasue if you want, you can use (4) 48x48's that are equal to (9) 32x32's.

Here's quick sample I made on my lunch break.

Note I've made it 8 bricks high with 1 brick high between floors you have 9 bricks high.

I've included so different ways that specific projects could end their walls too.

As far as raised items you simply build the "raised" area the same as you would build the main floor except you would have you first floor(s) made of 9 bricks tall pillars.

th_P1010399.jpg th_P1010400.jpg th_P1010401.jpg th_P1010409.jpg

th_P1010405.jpg th_P1010403.jpg th_P1010404.jpg th_P1010411.jpg

th_P1010402.jpg th_P1010406.jpg th_P1010408.jpg

Gallery

Edited by Rook

My votes:

16x16 just small enough to be made bij anybody with enough details that can be included. Note 16x16 times more makes bigger layouts i.e. 32x32 and 48x48. So an easy standard.

8 studs wide corridor small enough for a group walking through and big enough for a small vehicle.

raised and baseplate. However joining points must be set. The moonbase standard clearly states were the linking pins are. This is a must if you want to integrate different MOC's!

As you can see I've thought it through. :laugh:

Looking forward to the results.

After reading the the comments over in the other the thread the 16x16 might be more reasonable for ALL builders I'll post a new sample for a 16x16 Standard tonight.

After reading the the comments over in the other the thread the 16x16 might be more reasonable for ALL builders I'll post a new sample for a 16x16 Standard tonight.

16x16 can be pretty cramped once you start adding walls (witness the community build). I like the idea of specifying large baseplates, but not specifying how the space within the baseplate is used. Look at the example KimT posted:

3078261158_bd9fce6833.jpg

The height off the ground and the four doorways are pre-defined, but beyond that you have the freedom to fill as much (or as little) of the interior as you like, leaving the rest defined as "exterior". The square central module looks like it's 24x24, but I assume the "room" could also be 16x16, 16x32, 24x40, and so on. The main part could be square, rectangular, round, L-shaped, or have a central corridor with several small rooms off to the side.

Maybe we could pull off the same effect with 16x16 modules, maybe by pre-defining what the "corridor" looks like, and then allowing people to use any number of 16x16 modules extending off of the corridor (and you don't have to fill every 16x16). For example, a couple rooms in the Death Star based off an 8-wide corridor might look like:

room-layout.png

That's also give people the space to build fancy doors and such, since they can make the walls as thick as they need to. Anyways, those are some of my thoughts. :classic:

Yeah here's the 16x16. It's just too small for the SWU theme personally.

th_P1010412.jpg th_P1010413.jpg th_P1010414.jpg

th_P1010415.jpg th_P1010416.jpg th_P1010417.jpg

I agree with above, although I havent build any Dioramas yet.

Corridors 8 studs wide would be realistic (2 minifigs next to eachother with some space left).

Also 48x48 should be the standard just like the standard baseplate, anything smaller would make combining it with other themes impossible or using streets as part of this neither. Look for instance at the exclusive buildings like the green grocer and fire brigade, theý're all build on 48x48 plates. Almost all the mocs made in town therefor are also on this scale.

Just my thoughts. :grin:

So, most of you think a module could have more floors on top of it?

And they would be removable?

Good idea...

Any idea on how we take this further?

Maybe a link to the poll should be frontpaged, so everyone can have a vote, and maybe make a poll on LUGNet, other LEGO sites, etc.

Yeah here's the 16x16. It's just too small for the SWU theme personally.

[snips!]

Yeah.

I think at least 32x32.

Well there you have it. Looks like if you go by the % of votes.

EB's Standard SWU Module:

32x32

8 Bricks high walls with 1 (plate, tile, plate) between floors (9 bricks total per floor).

8 Studs wide corridor (space between the walls)

Then the only thing I'd add is using the 1x1 bricks with technics hole place one stud in. (See example in 16x16 version.) Thus allowing your columns to be narrower.

Then if people need/want to modify the "Standard" for a group project they have basis to work from. (I.E. Increase wall height by 1 stud, add decorative corners, etc.)

Edited by Rook

Well there you have it. Looks like if you go by the % of votes.

EB's Standard SWU Module:

32x32

8 Bricks high walls with 1 (plate, tile, plate) between floors (9 bricks total per floor).

8 Studs wide corridor (space between the walls)

Then the only thing I'd add is using the 1x1 bricks with technics hole place one stud in. (See example in 16x16 version.) Thus allowing your columns to be narrower.

Then if people need/want to modify the "Standard" for a group project they have basis to work from. (I.E. Increase wall height by 1 stud, add decorative corners, etc.)

Perhaps, but I still think

Maybe a link to the poll should be frontpaged, so everyone can have a vote, and maybe make a poll on LUGNet, other LEGO sites, etc.

so not only the EB community, but the all LEGO Star Wars fans can have their say.

What does everyone else think?